Sync/BT flipped out on me today. WTF?

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
Base interior GT. Build date 7/15.
I pretty much only use Bluetooth in the car, as I listen to a lot of podcasts. I paired the car with my phone when I brought the car home and it's been fine since.

Today I was driving from Phoenix to Las Vegas. An hour outside of Vegas I accidentally hit the M button. No big deal, right? I scrolled through the connection options until Bluetooth came back around. Then, however, it just freaked out. Sync started automatically disconnecting my phone; the phone (and the car) registered the phone as paired, but any time I'd try to play media either via phone controls or car controls it gave me a "(phone name) Bluetooth disconnected" notice immediately.

I pulled over and tried for about 20 minutes to fix it. I turned off the car, deleted the phone, did a master reset of the BT system, hard-rebooted my phone several times, cleared Sync from my phone's settings. etc. Nothing. I ended up looking up a dealership in Henderson, NV and changing course to there.

When I made it to the dealership, the tech there was way more clueless than was I. He kept poking at the screen, even though I told him multiple times it wasn't a touch screen. He tried (multiple times) the same things I had (multiple times) and determined that he didn't know what the problem was.

I ended up pulling a battery cable to hard reset the whole system, which worked. However, it doesn't seem like this should have to be a thing. Has anyone else experienced this? Are there any insights into what happened and how to fix it in the future?

Incidentally, last year I was considering buying a '15 Ford Fusion for the wife. I had one as a multi-week rental and we drove it from Phoenix to Laughlin, NV. Just before the trip Sync flipped out and did the exact same thing; everything was working just fine and then Sync decided it didn't like working anymore. This was similarly not fixable, and this was a key reason why my wife and I bought a Mazda 6 instead. I'd really hoped that in the intervening year Ford/Microsoft had ironed out what seems to be a really obvious and fatal bug. I guess not.

Ultimately I'm really not a fan of Sync and I'd like to replace the infotainment unit entirely, but only when something becomes available that works with the steering wheel buttons. Until then, I'd settle for Bluetooth connectivity doing its one job.

Thoughts, anyone?
Sponsored

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
My sync/radio/phone/steering wheel interface has crapped out a few times and starting up the car after a while resolved the issue. It's been a while since it last happened. Probably bugs. My rear camera has crapped out a couple times and its error message said it was "currently unavailable". This happened independently of the sync malfunctions. Just more electronic exceptions to anticipate.

Mbsk01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM
I had the same problem. Pulled fuse #27, IIRC. Problem hasn't returned yet.

H1 GT

Crew Chief
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
15 4C, 97 H1
This happens to me all the time.

Seems to be temperamental and just works when it wants too.

Sponsored

Mbsk01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM
Stupid question because I'm not near my car or manual, but where's fuse #27? Is that under the hood or under the glovebox or in the cabin?
Passenger side cabin, on the right side of footwell. Might want to do a bit of research to make sure I am remembering the fuse number correctly.

AParker29

SOUTHSIDE
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Akeem
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Triple Yellow "Buckey Bee"
I've been having the same issue and have been to my dealership 4 times and the problem continues to persist every few months to weeks. They can not find anything and the car always decides to work when time comes to take it to the dealership.

OP
OP

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
I think it's just a problem endemic to Sync, and Sync seems to be pretty much a disasterpiece. I PM'ed the FordIVTeam on the 22nd, but haven't heard anything.

Seriously, though, it's silly. This is just the most basic operation: Use one input, play it every time. That's it. I've not even added any other phones but my own to Sync.

I don't care at all about voice commands. As soon as there's an aftermarket solution that incorporates Bluetooth and the steering wheel buttons (which are on the wrong side, IMHO) I'll be removing all traces of Sync from my GT -- including the emblem on the shift boot surround.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Passenger side cabin, on the right side of footwell. Might want to do a bit of research to make sure I am remembering the fuse number correctly.
Does this kill all power sources to the system? I ask since I'm having an issue with screen changes when I come out of reverse. About 90% of the time when I'm on the home screen and go into reverse and back into 1st gear, my home screen is gone and a phone screen is up. I usually have to select one of the phone functions, then I can go back to the home screen.
Service mgr. said they can do a battery disconnect to reset the system and if it continues, reflash it. If it then continues they would have to change out the system.
I'm gong to disconnect the battery tomorrow and try that first.

Sponsored

essque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Just happened to me again last night (happened at least a dozen times since I got the car in August). About to give up on spotify and just load the hell out of an mp3 player every couple of weeks. I'll probably get in the car today and it will work fine lol. It's infuriating. Half the time when I get in, get out and return back to the car (shopping, dining out, etc), the radio decides to switch itself from media to some random radio station with static when I start the car. So. Fucking. Crazy. I listen to my music loud so it's not the coolest thing to get in the car and have static screaming at your face at volume 30.

Sync is an embarassing, spectacular failure and definitely the achilles heel of the s550. This is why I no longer buy fully loaded mustangs. I get a base GT and replace the stock system immediately. If you go to the dealership 3 times for this issue in Michigan, I wonder if the lemon law would apply :D Kidding. The car is fantastic just can't wait until the aftermarket offers a legit upgrade.

Steeeliskt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Manual
The other day I was just about to get onto the freeway when my girlfriend texted me and it came through the Sync display. I went to hit the listen button, and it played back the text message, then I hit ignore to make the pop up go away... then it got into a loop effect where it read every single text message she has sent and they just kept popping up. I turned my phone off... the messages kept coming through as if they were cached in Sync.. it then proceeded to read off text messages from other contacts it had cached... it was driving me crazy because it would interrupt itself to ping the next message coming in. My phone was still off and this kept going on for a good 5 mins while stuck in traffic. I kept trying to change the audio source, which worked, but the Sync text messages kept coming through. I finally exited the freeway and as soon as I pulled over to fuck with it, it stopped doing it. Haven't experienced anything else but it was very annoying.

Mbsk01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM
Does this kill all power sources to the system? I ask since I'm having an issue with screen changes when I come out of reverse. About 90% of the time when I'm on the home screen and go into reverse and back into 1st gear, my home screen is gone and a phone screen is up. I usually have to select one of the phone functions, then I can go back to the home screen.
Service mgr. said they can do a battery disconnect to reset the system and if it continues, reflash it. If it then continues they would have to change out the system.
I'm gong to disconnect the battery tomorrow and try that first.
I've no idea.

On a related note, it happened to me again the other day. I tried streaming to sync via my phone using a different app on my phone. Sync kinda stop working for a few minutes, while it readjusted, then it started working again.

Maybe the issue with sync is with the app streaming the audio.... :shrug:

FordIVTteam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I've been having the same issue and have been to my dealership 4 times and the problem continues to persist every few months to weeks. They can not find anything and the car always decides to work when time comes to take it to the dealership.
Hey AParker29,

Please send me a PM with your VIN so I can take a look.

I've no idea.

On a related note, it happened to me again the other day. I tried streaming to sync via my phone using a different app on my phone. Sync kinda stop working for a few minutes, while it readjusted, then it started working again.

Maybe the issue with sync is with the app streaming the audio.... :shrug:
Hi Mbsk01,

Which SYNC system do you have:https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync...h-sync/how-to-identify-your-sync-version.html

Whitney

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Disconnected the battery for 20 min today and took it for a drive. Problem seems to be gone for now. But looking at the battery cover, one fastener was loose like they did it during the last oil change.
Sponsored