Sponsored

Sync (base radio)-lost BT track info

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
HI, got a new smartphone yesterday (Sony Xperia XZ premium). Paired it with my car in the Best Buy parking lot, and it worked great.

After I got home, the phone downloaded several updates, including Android 8. Got in the car this morning, and suddenly I have no song/track information :( According to owner.ford.com, I have the most current version of sync (5.10). I suspect that maybe Ford Sync doesn't play nicely with Android 8.

Any way to report these types of problems back to Ford?
Sponsored

chinatercel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I am running Android 8 from my Galaxy S8 and everything works great. I suspect you have to re-pair your phone. (with the car, I meant)

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I am running Android 8 from my Galaxy S8 and everything works great. I suspect you have to re-pair your phone. (with the car, I meant)
Not necessariliy doubting you, but unless you just enrolled in their new beta program from the last week, you don't have Oreo on the S8.

For the OP though, I've got 8.0 on my Pixel and track info still displays. Could either be some sort of syncing issue or maybe something with the app you're using. Have you tried a different app? Every once in a while I get an issue where it connects and plays but doesn't put anything on the screen as well, but that was since before Oreo.

chinatercel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Not necessariliy doubting you, but unless you just enrolled in their new beta program from the last week, you don't have Oreo on the S8.

For the OP though, I've got 8.0 on my Pixel and track info still displays. Could either be some sort of syncing issue or maybe something with the app you're using. Have you tried a different app? Every once in a while I get an issue where it connects and plays but doesn't put anything on the screen as well, but that was since before Oreo.
I did enroll in the Beta :)

OP
OP
ElAviator72

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
Hi guys,

I tried re-pairing the phone and the car. It worked, but it didn't bring back my song/track info :( I'm using the google "Play Music" app for my music. It still plays the music (which I've downloaded onto my SD card in the app to avoid excessive data usage), but it's more than slightly annoying to not have the track data and song data.

Wonder how far I'd get if I took the issue to Sony (the phone manufacturer)? It's been a solid device other than this one thing...

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Did you try using any other app though? Like Sony's built-in music player or something like Spotify or Shuttle off the Play store?

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
mine played BT just fine, have the same phone
DSC_0031.JPG

OP
OP
ElAviator72

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
ElAviator72

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
Did you try using any other app though? Like Sony's built-in music player or something like Spotify or Shuttle off the Play store?
I tried Sony's app (I think it used to be called "Walkman"). No luck there. It's a little dumb, because it can't even find the (totally unencrypted) MP3 files that Google downloads onto your SD card...:tsk: The recommended method of getting your music library into Sony's app is to use Google Music Manager on your PC, download the tunes on your PC, and drag and drop them into the appropriate folder on the phone. I didn't do that, I just tried playing the 5-6 tracks that Sony puts on your phone for you.

sauerkraut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
S550 EcoBeast
Reviving an old thread because I know the answer.

Basically, the problem lies with Ford and is something they need to address in a software update.

Google updated the default Bluetooth profile beginning with Android N. Unfortunately, good old base 4" sync can't read the metadata sent from the newer Bluetooth profile. The screen will list Unknown/Unknown as the track/artist info.

Why isn't this more widespread? I can only assume some phone manufactures noticed this while testing Android N before release and reverted back to the previous BT profile in their ROM. Also, many car manufactures may have already updated their software or were already ready for the BT profile update.

Developers of Lineage OS even made a commit to the development in mid 2017 reverting the BT profile back to the previous one. The reason for this commit was new profile breaks metadata for many car infotainment systems.

I have been dealing with this for over a year now, ever since my phone updated from M to N. I can verify its a SYNC issue because with the exact same phone, my wife's base model 2012 Hyundai Veloster has no issue displaying the track information over BT. I find this to be ridiculous considering the brand and age of that car in comparison to my Mustang.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ElAviator72

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
Reviving an old thread because I know the answer.

Basically, the problem lies with Ford and is something they need to address in a software update.

Google updated the default Bluetooth profile beginning with Android N. Unfortunately, good old base 4" sync can't read the metadata sent from the newer Bluetooth profile. The screen will list Unknown/Unknown as the track/artist info.

Why isn't this more widespread? I can only assume some phone manufactures noticed this while testing Android N before release and reverted back to the previous BT profile in their ROM. Also, many car manufactures may have already updated their software or were already ready for the BT profile update.

Developers of Lineage OS even made a commit to the development in mid 2017 reverting the BT profile back to the previous one. The reason for this commit was new profile breaks metadata for many car infotainment systems.

I have been dealing with this for over a year now, ever since my phone updated from M to N. I can verify its a SYNC issue because with the exact same phone, my wife's base model 2012 Hyundai Veloster has no issue displaying the track information over BT. I find this to be ridiculous considering the brand and age of that car in comparison to my Mustang.
And if you're wondering, the latest Sync for the base radio doesn't fix it :( (Ford released Sync 5.11? back in February). A few less black screen starts, but that's about all I've noticed. You have to idle the car for ~20 minutes to upgrade, too...

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
And if you're wondering, the latest Sync for the base radio doesn't fix it :( (Ford released Sync 5.11? back in February). A few less black screen starts, but that's about all I've noticed. You have to idle the car for ~20 minutes to upgrade, too...
Instead of using Google Play music have you tried just allowing Sync to access your phone as a storage device instead?

OP
OP
ElAviator72

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
Instead of using Google Play music have you tried just allowing Sync to access your phone as a storage device instead?
Haven't tried it, but it didn't work at all in the Android 6 days on my last phone (HTC One M8).

OP
OP
ElAviator72

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Haven't tried it, but it didn't work at all in the Android 6 days on my last phone (HTC One M8).
When you plug the phone into the USB port it should ask for permission to access the data. Once you do that Sync should see all the playable media files on the device.
Sponsored