Sponsored

Swirls. Meguires 105/205 or Chemical Guys VSS?

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I plan to polish my car this weekend. It has the typical dealer installed swirls from washing. I bought Chemical Guys Orange (cutting) and white (polishing pads) The products I have are Megiures 105 and 205, and Chemical guys VSS swirl remover. I've heard the VSS will both cut and polish at the same time. Do you guys think I would get a better effect using the orange pad with 105, then the white with 205, or should I just use the VSS and white pad and call it a day? I have a Porter Cable Oribital Polisher and don't have much experience. Which would be the easiest method to get the swirls out for a beginner. I plan to wash, and clay the paint prior and follow the polish with some Chemical Guys Wet Butter. It's a black car. I'm afraid I'm going to screw up the paint and make it cloudy. :)
Sponsored

danny0441

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt DIB
I plan to polish my car this weekend. It has the typical dealer installed swirls from washing. I bought Chemical Guys Orange (cutting) and white (polishing pads) The products I have are Megiures 105 and 205, and Chemical guys VSS swirl remover. I've heard the VSS will both cut and polish at the same time. Do you guys think I would get a better effect using the orange pad with 105, then the white with 205, or should I just use the VSS and white pad and call it a day? I have a Porter Cable Oribital Polisher and don't have much experience. Which would be the easiest method to get the swirls out for a beginner. I plan to wash, and clay the paint prior and follow the polish with some Chemical Guys Wet Butter. It's a black car. I'm afraid I'm going to screw up the paint and make it cloudy. :)
if you want perfection i would do the 105 and 205 but definitely have more than one pad of each i havent used vss i dont see that stuff being to effective i havent seen real good results from it but i know 105 and 205 are effective or you could try chemical guys v36 followed by v38 that should remove the swirls

jashton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
You always want to start with the least aggressive combination first and move up from there if necessary.

Make sure to tape off a few sections on your hood and do test sections in order to determine the best course of action.

M105 is going to dust like crazy and will likely need to be followed up by M205 for the best result. If your car isn't black I would try and stick with M205 because it doesn't dust, can still cut, and would be nearly impossible for you to mess anything up. If you need a better cut move to M105, but be prepared for the dust. It has a tendency to dry up as well so you may need to spray some water to reactivate it and get a few more passes in.

Make sure you have plenty of light. I recommend a dual halogen set-up along with LED's and natural sun for further inspection.

-Jeff

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You always want to start with the least aggressive combination first and move up from there if necessary.

Make sure to tape off a few sections on your hood and do test sections in order to determine the best course of action.

M105 is going to dust like crazy and will likely need to be followed up by M205 for the best result. If your car isn't black I would try and stick with M205 because it doesn't dust, can still cut, and would be nearly impossible for you to mess anything up. If you need a better cut move to M105, but be prepared for the dust. It has a tendency to dry up as well so you may need to spray some water to reactivate it and get a few more passes in.

Make sure you have plenty of light. I recommend a dual halogen set-up along with LED's and natural sun for further inspection.

-Jeff
Thank's, unfortunately it's a black car, so it's nearly impossible to keep clean and the swirls are extra obvious in the sunlight. I'll try the 205 first, and if that doesn't work move onto the 105. The cars only a few months old, so hopefully the 205 is enough. Would you use the 205 with a polishing or cutting pad?

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
if you want perfection i would do the 105 and 205 but definitely have more than one pad of each i havent used vss i dont see that stuff being to effective i havent seen real good results from it but i know 105 and 205 are effective or you could try chemical guys v36 followed by v38 that should remove the swirls
Thanks. I haven't tried the VSS yet either, I might give it a try before moving onto the 105/205, but I have a feeling it won't cut enough to get rid of even the light swirls. I bought 2 orange pads for cutting, and 2 white pads for polishing.

Sponsored

S550ilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I used a orange cutting microfiber pad and Adams Finishing polish on my neighbors lifted 14 f150 thats that tuxedo black metallic. He had some hard water spots that were in the paint prety good, and some very very light swirling...That combo got all that out just great. I hate using my cutting polish (Adams or Shine Supply)..i cant stand the dusting. But only use that when absolutely necessary.

SidewaysMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
For future reference I'd try Megs Ultimate Compound instead of 105. No dust from UC. I do have 105 but only use it for severe cutting like correcting wet sanding. For my semi annual detail I use UC followed by a polish.

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
my favorite combo is Meguiars D300 with a microfiber cutting disk and follow that up with 205 on another microfiber disk. I then seal, glaze, wax. looks incredible! It gets out about 95% of all imperfections, and the glaze and all fills in the rest of what i might have missed.

Bankss550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maurice
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT Premium 6SPD
I've had good results with m205 and orange pads for some swirls but mainly use m205 with white pads. I know you haven't purchased it but menzerna makes AMAZING polishes IMO. Meguiars UC as mentioned with M205 should definitely take care of the majority of swirls and it's probably the cheapest option. Post before and after pics!

Sponsored

HavasuCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Base, Competition Orange
I'd like to try buffing out my car to get that liquid look, but need to get a buffer, pads, chemicals, training and a lot of courage!

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
Do yourself a favor and get some menzerna fg400 and an orange pad. Menzerna has a very long work time and no fillers so you see exactly what you are doing. Meguiars 105/205 is decent but it has a short work time and then it dusts like crazy. Fg400 will finish down like a polish and give you an amazing shine. Btw I have every product you mentioned, as well as chemical guys v32-38 and a lot of others and have tried them all.

P51DNA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I did 105/205 few months back with a 7424xp. Was a ton of work, lots of dusting, lots of pads and pad cleaning. If I need to compound again I will be going a different route. BUT the 105/205 combo does deliver fantastic results. My ingot silver paint looks glorious. The metallic really pops and deep gloss.

lisandra

mama smurf
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lisandra
Vehicle(s)
ecoboost PP non premium
For what its worth, im the noobest of the noobs, and i had swirls galore. I used ultimate compound with one of those 30$ random orbitals. Washed it, clayed it (nothing came out) ultimate compound it and by then swirls were all gone. I followed with ultimate polish and again with klasse all in one acrylic (amaaaaaazing product) and then klasse sealant. It looks wet.
Point is ultimate compount, even by hand will do the job and its stupid proof
Sponsored