Sponsored

Swiggity swooty, mustang fans please do your duty...

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Non
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost (Premium Plus, Perf. Pack, Ruby Red)
...And assist me with the following information:

I will be, this week, purchasing a 2018 OR 2019 Mustang Coupe 10-speed Automatic, no if, ands, or buts about it. I am gunning for the Ecoboost with Performance Pack and either the 101A, 200A, or 200A (car must be new or used, preferably new but more on that below). I have my loan amount and down payment set (will be purchasing from dealerships, once they bend the knee), but I have a numbered set of questions and concerns that I would love answered to help guide me. Here it goes:

1. Assuming get either 2018/2019, are the equipment options much different from each other? A comfy interior and at LEAST Sync 3 with 9 speakers is a must (I like clear audio). I know the options I listed are 2019 (I saw the brochure), but I don't know which are on the 2018 specifically.

2. Do the 2018s have the selectable drive mode switches? Personally, if I can hold down a button for 5 seconds and shut advance trac/VSC off (like other cars), I don't mind not having it (or in the Lexus IS350/any Toyota, you can do a pedal dance that perma-disables all VSC/TC till you shut the engine off).

3. Ignoring the fact I want the Performance Pack, if I want to do chassis upgrades, suspension, tire, and the Ford Performance Tune, is all that possible on both years? I know the FPT is 2017-ish, and IIRC it does not void factory warranties if installed by the dealer/ASC certified etc.

4. I must get the 10-speed Auto (can't drive manual). However.. does that limit the performance stuff that can be done to the car later?

5. Is the gas mileage on the GT really terrible compared to the Ecoboost? Also - does the 10-speed Auto on the GT limit any aftermarket upgrades, if I were to go with it?

6. Assuming the car doesn't have Nav, is there any non-warranty voiding aftermarket NAV install capable, or is it just buy something and stick it to the car? I hate using the phone.

7. Can the stock Performance Pack wheels take Pilot Sport 4 tires or Pilot Super Sports (if I managed to find some)?

Maybe the real Mustang is the friends we make along the way UwU.
Sponsored

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
If you get sync 3 pretty sure 18' and 19' have android auto/car play, so that should give you your navigation. The fuel mileage on either the EcoBoost or Gt is going to significantly impacted by how you drive. So yes, you drive it harr the Gt will gulp down fuel, but it can be capable of 24to 26 mpg. EcoBoost can devour fuel too if your constantly in the gas. If you are even casually thinking about the GT you should go that direction, most guys who settle on EcoBoost after considering a GT end up making the move.

OP
OP
dittydefinitive
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Non
Vehicle(s)
If you get sync 3 pretty sure 18' and 19' have android auto/car play, so that should give you your navigation. The fuel mileage on either the EcoBoost or Gt is going to significantly impacted by how you drive. So yes, you drive it harr the Gt will gulp down fuel, but it can be capable of 24to 26 mpg. EcoBoost can devour fuel too if your constantly in the gas. If you are even casually thinking about the GT you should go that direction, most guys who settle on EcoBoost after considering a GT end up making the move.
I fancy the Ecoboost for a few practical reasons and the locations of where I drive, but yeah. I know people mention android auto, and I can use it with my phone but honestly I prefer regular satellite GPS units because they aren't affected by cellphones signal and when I drive in the mountains I always have satellite signal on like a Garmin. Thanks for the gas tip though.

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
I fancy the Ecoboost for a few practical reasons and the locations of where I drive, but yeah. I know people mention android auto, and I can use it with my phone but honestly I prefer regular satellite GPS units because they aren't affected by cellphones signal and when I drive in the mountains I always have satellite signal on like a Garmin. Thanks for the gas tip though.
With android auto/google maps, your phone actually down loads the route so even if you lose signal it will still have the next steps. You also have the option of downloading large areas to your phone in the event you don't have signal when you are leaving the destination.

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
You also get the advantage of live traffic monitoring (this will require signal) that will insure your current route is the fastest and since integrating with waze, it also reports speed traps and accidents pretty reliably. I have to use navigation pretty much daily in my job and have access to built navigation on my 19 fusion and it is always out performed by Google. Same as the garmin based navi in my wifes 18 odyssey elite

Sponsored

OP
OP
dittydefinitive
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Non
Vehicle(s)
You also get the advantage of live traffic monitoring (this will require signal) that will insure your current route is the fastest and since integrating with waze, it also reports speed traps and accidents pretty reliably. I have to use navigation pretty much daily in my job and have access to built navigation on my 19 fusion and it is always out performed by Google. Same as the garmin based navi in my wifes 18 odyssey elite
Oh, I didn't know that. Hmm, I might have to get a better phone then, sooner than I thought.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
There are kits out there to add factory nav after the car is built. Even for the cars that have the cheaper 4" screen. The ford performance tune that is listed as 15-17 is for the GT's the engine changed for 18 and the tune is not compatible. I don't know about the ecoboost tunes but the engine is basically the same from 15-19

OP
OP
dittydefinitive
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Non
Vehicle(s)
There are kits out there to add factory nav after the car is built. Even for the cars that have the cheaper 4" screen. The ford performance tune that is listed as 15-17 is for the GT's the engine changed for 18 and the tune is not compatible. I don't know about the ecoboost tunes but the engine is basically the same from 15-19
Steeda shows the tune for the Ecoboost being compatible, but I will double check. I hope it is because AFAIK its the only one that doesn't mess with the original Ford warranty regardless.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
1. Assuming get either 2018/2019, are the equipment options much different from each other? A comfy interior and at LEAST Sync 3 with 9 speakers is a must (I like clear audio). I know the options I listed are 2019 (I saw the brochure), but I don't know which are on the 2018 specifically.
There are no differences.

2. Do the 2018s have the selectable drive mode switches? Personally, if I can hold down a button for 5 seconds and shut advance trac/VSC off (like other cars), I don't mind not having it (or in the Lexus IS350/any Toyota, you can do a pedal dance that perma-disables all VSC/TC till you shut the engine off).
Build your car on Ford.com, and see what packages come with what.

3. Ignoring the fact I want the Performance Pack, if I want to do chassis upgrades, suspension, tire, and the Ford Performance Tune, is all that possible on both years? I know the FPT is 2017-ish, and IIRC it does not void factory warranties if installed by the dealer/ASC certified etc.
They're the same cars. Tunes are available from other sources than Ford. Your warranty cannot be "voided", it's against the law.

4. I must get the 10-speed Auto (can't drive manual). However.. does that limit the performance stuff that can be done to the car later?
Limit what "performance stuff"?

5. Is the gas mileage on the GT really terrible compared to the Ecoboost? Also - does the 10-speed Auto on the GT limit any aftermarket upgrades, if I were to go with it?
It's about how you drive the car. If you drive hard, you won't get MPGs with either car. If you have to ask about MPGs, a Mustang might not be the right car for you.

6. Assuming the car doesn't have Nav, is there any non-warranty voiding aftermarket NAV install capable, or is it just buy something and stick it to the car? I hate using the phone.
Use the phone, it saves you thousands. There are after-market, but it's stupid money. Stop worrying about your warranty, there isn't one 1st hand account here of any warranty work being denied for any reason. Ford dealers want to do the work, they make money doing it.

7. Can the stock Performance Pack wheels take Pilot Sport 4 tires or Pilot Super Sports (if I managed to find some)?
Check tirerack.com for your answer.

Last edited:

Adf020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang ecoboost premium automatic convertible
I have a 2018 EB convertible. It has the 10 speed auto and drive modes that you can shift through as well as the traction control on/of switch.

krello

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium
I’ve owned a 2018 GT, A10 and 3.15:1 rear axle since April. Routinely get 23 mpg, often better, driving at 80 mph. The way this thing shifts and the power it makes is incredible. It will easily bump up against 157 mph. Handles like a dream. I love the V-8. The fuel mileage this car makes on premium fuel is astounding. Track version of active exhaust puts a smile on my face.

OP
OP
dittydefinitive
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Non
Vehicle(s)
There are no differences.

Build your car on Ford.com, and see what packages come with what.

They're the same cars. Tunes are available from other sources than Ford. Your warranty cannot be "voided", it's against the law.

Limit what "performance stuff"?

It's about how you drive the car. If you drive hard, you won't get MPGs with either car. If you have to ask about MPGs, a Mustang might not be the right car for you.

Use the phone, it saves you thousands. There are after-market, but it's stupid money. Stop worrying about your warranty, there isn't one 1st hand account here of any warranty work being denied for any reason. Ford dealers want to do the work, they make money doing it.

Check tirerack.com for your answer.
UwU

I’ve owned a 2018 GT, A10 and 3.15:1 rear axle since April. Routinely get 23 mpg, often better, driving at 80 mph. The way this thing shifts and the power it makes is incredible. It will easily bump up against 157 mph. Handles like a dream. I love the V-8. The fuel mileage this car makes on premium fuel is astounding. Track version of active exhaust puts a smile on my face.
Nice!
Sponsored