Sponsored

Swapping Diff ratio from 3.55 to 3.15 can it be done

revtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
They all have the IRS rear... The difference between the Super 8.8 and the 8.8 is the pinion & carrier. Which is why the 3.15:1 carrier is not compatible with any other ring & pinion, and nowhere is it ever specified as a "Super 8.8". In fact, if you trust Steeda you'll see that you have to swap the 8.8 carrier on a 3.15:1 to a Super 8.8 carrier to change ratios.
Some people you just can't teach.
You do realize the difference between 3.15 and 3.55 and up is the ring gear circumference? This is why the carrier has to be changed to accommodate the gear swap.
And now I have put the correct information out there which was my intent all along.
Good Day. Enjoy your ride.
Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Some people you just can't teach.
You do realize the difference between 3.15 and 3.55 and up is the ring gear circumference? This is why the carrier has to be changed to accommodate the gear swap.
And now I have put the correct information out there which was my intent all along.
Good Day. Enjoy your ride.
Yes, the carriers are different. The 3.15:1 doesn't have a Super 8.8.

Remember, the same Super 8.8 carrier can be used for 3.31:1, 3.55:1, 3.73:1, and 4.09:1 ring and pinion sets...

You do know the difference between these sets, right? Hint: The diameter of the ring does not change.

revtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Yes, the carriers are different. The 3.15:1 doesn't have a Super 8.8.

Remember, the same Super 8.8 carrier can be used for 3.31:1, 3.55:1, 3.73:1, and 4.09:1 ring and pinion sets...

You do know the difference between these sets, right? Hint: The diameter of the ring does not change.
You keep repeating everything I say. So I can't decide if your ignorant or messing with me. But I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you are messing with me. I am REALLY bored and this is getting fun.
Ok so a history lesson. The 8.8 rear end has been around quite a while. In 2015 Ford re engineered the 8.8 for the IRS. This 8.8 was beefed up from the SRA 8.8. The ring and pinion will not interchange between the two even though they are both 8.8 rear ends. This "Super 8.8" as it was dubbed is pretty much as strong as a 9 inch. All of the 2015 and up Super 8.8s are, even the 3.15 geared ones.
Here is something to think about. The high horsepower supercharged guys are swapping to a 3.15 gear in the GTs Super 8.8. Why would they put a weaker gear set in (if it was weaker, it isn't). Nobody in their right mind would do that.
I wait with breathless anticipation for your uneducated retort.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
You keep repeating everything I say. So I can't decide if your ignorant or messing with me. But I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you are messing with me. I am REALLY bored and this is getting fun.
Ok so a history lesson. The 8.8 rear end has been around quite a while. In 2015 Ford re engineered the 8.8 for the IRS. This 8.8 was beefed up from the SRA 8.8. The ring and pinion will not interchange between the two even though they are both 8.8 rear ends. This "Super 8.8" as it was dubbed is pretty much as strong as a 9 inch. All of the 2015 and up Super 8.8s are, even the 3.15 geared ones.
Here is something to think about. The high horsepower supercharged guys are swapping to a 3.15 gear in the GTs Super 8.8. Why would they put a weaker gear set in (if it was weaker, it isn't). Nobody in their right mind would do that.
I wait with breathless anticipation for your uneducated retort.
Where are they finding a Super 8.8 gearset in 3.15:1?

"Weaker" is subjective. "Strong enough" is fine. Especially when the ratio is the more important number. I also think you are confusing the differential housing with the differential carrier.

700hp5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2017 Jeep Wrangler
I realize this is an old thread, but it keeps coming up when I search and there is some incorrect information in it.

All S550 mustangs come with the Super 8.8 differential. There is a carrier break between the 3.31 gears and the 3.15 gears, so if your car came with 3.31, 3.55, or 3.73 gears and you want to go down to 3.15, you need a new carrier. The Torsen style carrier in GT performance packs is the 3.31-3.73 size, the open and the clutch type limited slips came in both.

Some Mustangs came stock with 3.15:1 gears.
Screenshot 2021-01-18 142242.jpg

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
and there was an iron cased 3.15 differential in the manual V6 cars, and the 3.15 gears only require a different carrier because of the distance between the face of the carrier ring gear flange and the centerline of the pinion, and almost all differentials have the same high/low split that determines which carrier is required based on the gear ratio, and gear ratio is simply ring tooth count : pinion tooth count, and there is no such thing as manual or auto rear differential flanges just small or large because 15-17 auto Mustangs, 15-20 manual GT350s, and auto and manual 18-20 Mustangs all had small flanges, and on, and on, and on.
Sponsored