Supercharger (I need info, NEWB)

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
I would never use a Procharger... It might have been the car I drove, the tune or it might be like this for all of them. I have a Roush RS3, so it is a Roots style SC with an inner-cooler, so I thought I would be prepared for the series of events that followed.
My 2016 Roush is very predictable, it drives like a Regular Mustang but when you get into the throttle it has this very smooth torque for acceleration, it is kind of like driving a video game, the harder you push on the throttle the faster it just wants to go. The engine would just pull and pull until it explodes without a rev limiter. I find it manageable and easy to drive as long as you do not just floor it on the outset, you just spin the tires, even with traction control on snow and ice, so throttle control is a must.
I have driven turbo cars, and they are also smooth, but there is this slight lag you can get, then it just pulls and the sky is the limit. But again you get into the throttle and it is predictable, and once the turbos start to spool it will just pull until you hit a rev-limiter.
And now to a procharger... I have a friend in Florida who had - Had being a major word here - a 2016 Mustang GT with the Procharger and this is my experience with that vehicle. It was his son's car, and just driving down the road and it seemed actually kind of sluggish between 1000 and 4000 RPM. At one point he told me to just get on it, so I downshifted, and the RPM hit 4000 and it started to fishtail at around 60 mph. What was a dog for 1000-4000 RPM became a missile at exactly 4001 RPM. In what was probably 1/10 second, I saw my life pass before my eyes, I wondered if I was ever going to see my wife and children again, what would people think that I killed my best friend and totaled his son's car? At that split second I am convinced if the car was pointing vertical it would have launched into space and left a crater in the moon, or worse yet I would have been stuck in orbit until Elon Musk sent a ship to rescue me. My friend, sitting in the passenger seat, was screaming "Do not wreck Nick's car! Do not wreck Nick's Car" I let off the gas and white knuckled it back to normal driving, my adrenaline had completely exhausted itself so I was shaking like I had a serious case of Parkinson's. I finally got it back to his house and he had to run to the bathroom where he must have dropped a heck of a deuce as he was in there for at least 15 min... I never wanted to drive it again.
Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Sounds like PC putting out too much power for the PD people to handle
:giggle:

May have been a less than ideal head unit, pulley size and gearing combo as well, based on the description of it being a dog below 4k. Something like a d series running a huge pulley on 3.15 rear with 91 tune. Hard to say with no details, but sounds like once the boost kicked all hell broke loose (just like the rear end) lol.

Jordanfmeyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby gt350
Vehicle Showcase
I find It interesting when people say their blower drives like stock until they step on it. I didn’t buy a blower to have it drive like stock.

:giggle:

May have been a less than ideal head unit, pulley size and gearing combo as well, based on the description of it being a dog below 4k. Something like a d series running a huge pulley on 3.15 rear with 91 tune. Hard to say with no details, but sounds like once the boost kicked all hell broke loose (just like the rear end) lol.
Sounds like an accurate situation. I’m a firm believer in learning a car’s character and learning to respect it before going full throttle. NA or FI. We have cars making crazy amounts of power now a days. Very easy to get away from you if you do not respect it and underestimate what a blower does to our cars.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
My wife was know as the fastest woman at atco on grudge nites. I won't give her age cause that's not polite. But I will say she was born in the early sixties. So she was basically the typical little old lady. And She had absolutely no problem piloting the centri powered car to 140+ traps. Either the car was easy enough for her to drive. Or she had a little more skill than a few of these silly boys posting in this thread?:giggle:

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
I find It interesting when people say their blower drives like stock until they step on it. I didn’t buy a blower to have it drive like stock.

Sounds like an accurate situation. I’m a firm believer in learning a car’s character and learning to respect it before going full throttle. NA or FI. We have cars making crazy amounts of power now a days. Very easy to get away from you if you do not respect it and underestimate what a blower does to our cars.
Pretty fair assessment I'd say! Well said.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I'll be going Procharger P1X stage 2 (Tuner kit) myself. The question is, who will give the best deal.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
I'll be going Procharger P1X stage 2 (Tuner kit) myself. The question is, who will give the best deal.
Check out Beefcake specials. Get your injectors and fuel setup etc at the same time for a good price.

Jordanfmeyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby gt350
Vehicle Showcase
My wife was know as the fastest woman at atco on grudge nites. I won't give her age cause that's not polite. But I will say she was born in the early sixties. So she was basically the typical little old lady. And She had absolutely no problem piloting the centri powered car to 140+ traps. Either the car was easy enough for her to drive. Or she had a little more skill than a few of these silly boys posting in this thread?:giggle:
That is awesome! Very skilled driver.

Sponsored

Spademonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT PP 6MT
I'm personally going PD with the Whipple Gen5 Stage 2 soon(mostly due to my preferences and it's smog legal in CA), and will be doing Oil pump/gears, the MMR timing goodies, better axles in the rear, and just to be safe the auburn gear diff. (Potentially flex fuel as well as E85 is plentiful in California and would like to make more power than typical 91 numbers whenever I want)

My recommendation to OP, or anyone else looking for a kit that fits their specific needs (whether it be daily, mixed street and track, or track/strip only), is to really deep dive into research on all of the kits. Take a look at the fits and finishes, power and torque curves in regards to your driving needs, price (of course), and any known issues with the kits you're looking at so you can create the most informed opinion on what kit(s) would be right for you.

Mike K.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
In what was probably 1/10 second, I saw my life pass before my eyes, I wondered if I was ever going to see my wife and children again, what would people think that I killed my best friend and totaled his son's car? At that split second I am convinced if the car was pointing vertical it would have launched into space and left a crater in the moon, or worse yet I would have been stuck in orbit until Elon Musk sent a ship to rescue me. My friend, sitting in the passenger seat, was screaming "Do not wreck Nick's car! Do not wreck Nick's Car" I let off the gas and white knuckled it back to normal driving, my adrenaline had completely exhausted itself so I was shaking like I had a serious case of Parkinson's. I finally got it back to his house and he had to run to the bathroom where he must have dropped a heck of a deuce as he was in there for at least 15 min... I never wanted to drive it again.
ROFL man you are gonna sell more PC units with posts like these. Elon Musk hahaha good one ! Sounds like one hell of an impression it made on you. You never know one day you may feel the need to tame and conquer the centri.

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Yes low end torque I would favor more than top end...

Where can I find comparisons on why a Roush would be better than a Whipple vs a Procharger for these 5.0s.

I see some people don’t want that instant on power that I do... me having to get this thing high up into the RPMs isn’t what I’m after even though that’s how the motor favors. I drive local street and want more and to put a surprise on folks faces.
Low end torque? Most races are up top to get the most out of it. I don’t go wot from the down low. Instant torque means you’re spinning more while I’m smiling watching you lol.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
When I put the Vortech on my 2009 Bullitt, it was my first supercharged car. I found the power much easier to handle than the Roush, Magnuson, or Whippled cars I owned after that. I found the opposite effect on the PD blowers. Fantastic low end power. The Roush and Magnuson did not modulate power real good. Too much torque, and hard to "get on it" without wheelspin. The Vortech did have slightly more torque than stock off idle, but just built power with a constant feeling that the car would "go to the moon". I liked all my sc'd cars except the Magnuson. The Whipple was the best of both worlds, not quite the torque of the other PD blowers low end, but would pull harder and harder like the Vortech. I did not experience what Okfoz did. Without details it's hard to know what caused the sudden surge.

It is my intention to compare a stock Whippled stage 1 kit to a stock Procharged stage 1 kit. It'll be interesting.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
It is my intention to compare a stock Whippled stage 1 kit to a stock Procharged stage 1 kit. It'll be interesting.
That would be a good race, anyone got utube?
Sponsored