Supercharge or don't supercharge my GT

OP
OP

nnnnnn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
I bought half shafts, Reische 170 thermostat and an electric water pump but haven't actually sent the car for the install.

I plan on getting a Killer Chiller system for it too.

Nature of work hasn't allowed me time to let go of the car for a whole week yet. I'll update once I send it.
Sponsored

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible
Three things I learned in life modifying cars.

1. The toy is not a daily driver.
2. Buy a cheap beater as a daily driver.
3. Enjoy toy with no worries about breaking it, that's why you bought a cheap daily driver.

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
I can’t compare a non supercharged GT with a naturally aspirated Mustang because I bought my 2016 California Special with the Roush Supercharger already installed about 4 months ago.
3F92E512-9EB0-44D4-A41A-64B4CBD17F1E.jpeg
8DD6F2D6-C0B6-4B1D-AC17-4A6F55CBFE26.jpeg
07214A32-8B14-438A-AA6B-2B35F2F0F298.jpeg
The car only had 2200 miles on it. Anyway, I like it!
what you making on pump gas?

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Hey Guys,

I have a 2016 GT Premium and I've always wanted to supercharge it for a long time. Early this year, I started a laway order where I would pay little by little. I selected a kenne bell and I'm still paying it. I have about close to 5.5k of payments left.

Now here's the question: I use my car daily for work. My job is pretty good and they pay over 50 cents per mile that I drive. I was thinking about supercharging my 2016 GT because it's already paid off, getting an hybrid or not supercharging it and just driving it as it is for work. The 2020 GT500 also interests me but honestly I can't see much sense in getting it if I have already paid off my car. Just more debt I guess.

My GT has about 55k miles right now because of frequent daily driving so I'm not too sure on supercharging it. I'm a little worried that it will affect the engine or the engine is too old. What would you guys do? Just need thoughts.

Thanks
Couple things.
1. Its a gen 2 coyote, there are tons of gen 1s running around with 120k on the clock and 700whp.... So the mileage doesnt matter. Just run a compression test before doing it to make sure the motor is happy. If one cylinder is low check for a head gasket issue or if u were running bad gas you may have a ring issue. Fix that before and you're golden...

2. Not a financial advisor but boosting a daily, without a second motor on hand or at least the cash to buy it is not the best idea. Engines get really fragile and us humans make mistakes. So having a second engine, or car, or raw cash allows for minimum down time.

3. Why not buy a USED kit. You can get used VMP gen3 or 2, Roush, etc for around 5k. You can find a USED procharger in the 3k range. I'd go that route over layaway...

4. GT500 is amazing but for how you use your car may not be the best option. Your gonna put a ton of miles on it and shorten your service and tire intervals.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Also in any boosted application i recommend doing the head gasket, arp headstuds, oil pump gears etc. Alex from Lund said recently that the OPG are fine as long as you arent running a 2 step or bouncing off the limiter. But id just change them since you already have the motor down. And the chain off for the head gasket.

I'd also replace the water pump.

You can run a OEM ford head gasket. The reason I'm,saying to do this is because in older motors the head gasket and headbolts naturally wear overtime from normal heat cycles. When you boost the bolts stretch this causes the gasket to delaminate. Doing that repeatedly Will cause it to blow the gasket or develop pockets and combustion pressure will enter the water jackets and the car will start overheating.

Thats how alot of high mileage boosted motors fail.

Also i know lots of people run boost a pumps just fine, but id look into a secondary fuel system or something to run with your pump... You always want to oversize the pump and injectors if u can afford it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

nnnnnn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Again, thanks for the input guys. I already figured I would need to get a new car if the car is boosted/supercharged, it doesn't make sense to be driving a boosted car for huge miles, waste of gas.. Right now that is not the case yet, great idea on the compression test, replacing the head gaskets and headstuds. Part of the install, OPG will be replaced.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
I can’t compare a non supercharged GT with a naturally aspirated Mustang because I bought my 2016 California Special with the Roush Supercharger already installed about 4 months ago.
3F92E512-9EB0-44D4-A41A-64B4CBD17F1E.jpeg
8DD6F2D6-C0B6-4B1D-AC17-4A6F55CBFE26.jpeg
07214A32-8B14-438A-AA6B-2B35F2F0F298.jpeg
The car only had 2200 miles on it. Anyway, I like it!
Coincidence - bought a 16 GT/CS with a VMP setup already on it. Was not ready to ditch the 03 Cobra w 2.3 Whipple for NA car. This one turned out well. The VMP system is a dead ringer for the Roush.

Don't agree about using the toy as a DD unless the toy is seeing regular track time. Ran the Cobra as a DD the whole time I owned it. 120,000+ on the clock when I let it go and it still ran like a top. Heeded gears and CV joints, but getting stranded wasn't likely to happen. We will see how the new wheels hold up.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Three things I learned in life modifying cars.

1. The toy is not a daily driver.
2. Buy a cheap beater as a daily driver.
3. Enjoy toy with no worries about breaking it, that's why you bought a cheap daily driver.
Why would anyone want to drive a cheap crappy car every day, only to save the awesome car only for weekends or random cruising? I would hate to daily drive a crappy economy car knowing I had a 2018 Mustang GT PP1 in the garage I could be driving every day instead. But that's just me. The only time I wish I had a separate daily is when it rains or snows. We don't get a lot of that in Boise, so it's not worth it to invest in a 3rd car. I can always drive my wife's XC90 on the wknd if it's raining and I don't feel like dirtying up the GT.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Well, Idaho, you and I seem to be on the same page. Then again, I had a beat to crap 82 Corolla station wagon for a few years

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Why would anyone want to drive a cheap crappy car every day, only to save the awesome car only for weekends or random cruising? I would hate to daily drive a crappy economy car knowing I had a 2018 Mustang GT PP1 in the garage I could be driving every day instead. But that's just me. The only time I wish I had a separate daily is when it rains or snows. We don't get a lot of that in Boise, so it's not worth it to invest in a 3rd car. I can always drive my wife's XC90 on the wknd if it's raining and I don't feel like dirtying up the GT.
When I was a youngster in 2007. I had a 2005 GT. That was my baby. I drove it daily, modified it. Raced it. and loved it. Random cruises, dates, school, work, what have you. I kept the car washed, waxed, and in pristine condition, interior was leather, always vacuumed and clean. I dropped a valve one day and had to rebuild the motor. So I decided to do forged rods, pistons, crank, big cams, full exhaust, (long tube headers no cats) everything you could possibly do to a 2005 with a bottle of the giggle gas (Big shot). It was awesome, loved it. Until I realized how much I had to fill it up. Being my daily if I broke something or had to fix something on the car it sucked, waiting on parts on your daily sucks so bad. I don't know about you, when I have a vehicle that needs something fixed it gets parked and waits until I fix it. I do not drive around with check engine lights, oil leaks, or what ever. I fix those problems almost immediately. One thing I worried about with my daily though is what happens if I break something racing. How long is it going to be down. How am I going to get to work, how much is it going to cost to fix? The other thing I worry about is this asshole next to me going to ding my car. That pisses me off more than anything.

Anyways now being wiser and more finically able. I have a 2015 PP car that I drive on me weekends and when I get home. I am free to take her out have care free fun with her. She stays washed, waxed, and in pristine condition when she is out and about. Drive her hard, take her to the track, and what not. I don't worry if anything breaks. I don't have to worry what happens and I hope nothing does. However, if something breaks I can go to and from work and have the money to fix her.

We also might have different meanings when the word "Beater" comes up. I got a 96 GT 5 speed with 4.10s, cat back exhaust, and intake in black. That's my daily "beater"...

Sponsored

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I have winter car that I also drive on rainy days, but during the months when the weather is agreeable, my Mustang is my daily fair weather driver.

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hey Guys,

I have a 2016 GT Premium and I've always wanted to supercharge it for a long time. Early this year, I started a laway order where I would pay little by little. I selected a kenne bell and I'm still paying it. I have about close to 5.5k of payments left.

Now here's the question: I use my car daily for work. My job is pretty good and they pay over 50 cents per mile that I drive. I was thinking about supercharging my 2016 GT because it's already paid off, getting an hybrid or not supercharging it and just driving it as it is for work. The 2020 GT500 also interests me but honestly I can't see much sense in getting it if I have already paid off my car. Just more debt I guess.

My GT has about 55k miles right now because of frequent daily driving so I'm not too sure on supercharging it. I'm a little worried that it will affect the engine or the engine is too old. What would you guys do? Just need thoughts.

Thanks
Your financial business is definitely non of my business but, I’ll give you my thoughts on supercharging your future beast. I will absolutely supercharge these newer 5.0! These cars went from alright to bully on the street after FI. I hope you’re thinking to get some tires and a couple of suspension parts as well unless, you’ve some already. I don’t daily my car, but when I get the chance to drive it, it’s amazing every time!

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
When I was a youngster in 2007. I had a 2005 GT. That was my baby. I drove it daily, modified it. Raced it. and loved it. Random cruises, dates, school, work, what have you. I kept the car washed, waxed, and in pristine condition, interior was leather, always vacuumed and clean. I dropped a valve one day and had to rebuild the motor. So I decided to do forged rods, pistons, crank, big cams, full exhaust, (long tube headers no cats) everything you could possibly do to a 2005 with a bottle of the giggle gas (Big shot). It was awesome, loved it. Until I realized how much I had to fill it up. Being my daily if I broke something or had to fix something on the car it sucked, waiting on parts on your daily sucks so bad. I don't know about you, when I have a vehicle that needs something fixed it gets parked and waits until I fix it. I do not drive around with check engine lights, oil leaks, or what ever. I fix those problems almost immediately. One thing I worried about with my daily though is what happens if I break something racing. How long is it going to be down. How am I going to get to work, how much is it going to cost to fix? The other thing I worry about is this asshole next to me going to ding my car. That pisses me off more than anything.

Anyways now being wiser and more finically able. I have a 2015 PP car that I drive on me weekends and when I get home. I am free to take her out have care free fun with her. She stays washed, waxed, and in pristine condition when she is out and about. Drive her hard, take her to the track, and what not. I don't worry if anything breaks. I don't have to worry what happens and I hope nothing does. However, if something breaks I can go to and from work and have the money to fix her.

We also might have different meanings when the word "Beater" comes up. I got a 96 GT 5 speed with 4.10s, cat back exhaust, and intake in black. That's my daily "beater"...
This makes sense. When I think of cheap daily driver I think of someone with a new GT350 in their garage and driving around a 2003 Corolla most of the time. Your daily sounds like fun, even if it would be outrun in the 1/4 mile by a modern V6 Camry :)

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
This makes sense. When I think of cheap daily driver I think of someone with a new GT350 in their garage and driving around a 2003 Corolla most of the time. Your daily sounds like fun, even if it would be outrun in the 1/4 mile by a modern V6 Camry :)
I tell you what, even though I take care of my "beater" I am definitely not easy on her either. It is nice though to do a donut in the parking lot, drive into a parking spot and be somewhat wreck less with her and not have to worry. My dog rides in her when I take one of them with me. I vacuum and clean her out even wash her and sometimes do the spray wax. If I am working on a vehicle and gotta run to the parts store. I jump in her after just wiping my hands, not even having a second thought. It's like I care about her but don't you know. If me and a friend take a ride somewhere and they smoke. Go ahead and smoke (I don't smoke) if we going somewhere and you spill something I mean clean it up but I am not gonna freak out you know. A beater you enjoy driving and don't care about is sometimes more fun then the really nice car you car about because when you don't care and you will limp it home when something is wrong instead of calling a tow truck you can just laugh and joke about it. One of my friends had an old blazer and that was his beater. I remember we was out riding around one day and he hit a deer, slid off into a ditch and we hit a really thick low lying branch. Corner of the roof got caved in. He pushed part of the windshield back up, applied liberal amounts of duct tape. we pulled a few things straight enough out in the front. He drove that POS for ever like that. It was his daily. What he had at home was a built 2014 Camaro.

My 2015 is my project and she is getting boosted this spring (2020). Prolly see a lot of driving right after I am done with her. Then back into the garage for until she is called upon to have fun.

OP
OP

nnnnnn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Well they are cars and we're meant to enjoy them. I know I have enjoyed mine since the day I bought it. New cars will always be released so I don't baby mine too much at all. Once boosted, it will turn more into a garage queen lol. I do try to give it the best parts money can buy.

I try to space out my expenditures because to everyone else including wifey I've spent way too much money on my car lol. Only car guys understand other car guys :)

I have the ford track handling pack installed with Project6gr wheels, ford racing quad tip active exhaust. I'm running pzero 315 run flats in the rear, 295 run flats in the front. It's tune for 91 octane which is what I drive with right now. But just an FYI for anyone wondering the specs of the car.
Sponsored