Sponsored

Suncoast new 10r80 valve body and pump info

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
As most know, we have been working with suncoast on a lot of development of the 10r80. We also build the transmissions in house, and beat the heck out of them trying to develop new parts for you guys and gals.

Here is the newest thing available.

We will be working with all the tuners to help make sure they have the info needed for this. The pumps also feature an internal "dump" to keep from over pressurizing as well. The pump will dump at 420psi. We got our first chance to test at the track last week, and everything performed great.

These are still pre-order but we have a large amount headed toward us, the cores are in and they are working to get them out as soon as they can.

https://www.beefcakeracing.com/suncoast-sc-10r80-vb3/

From Suncoast

The Pro Loc Valve Body and Pump Combo
With the SunCoast 10R80 Pro Loc valve body, we are addressing several key issues we have seen in regard to the 10R80 transmissions. This is not an approach that is simply bumping in more line pressure in hopes of ascertaining more clamping force; it’s a multi-faceted approach addressing several key issues when exposing these units to more demanding driving environments. These range from heavy towing and hauling to street racing and drag racing.

The factory 10R80 transmission lock-up circuit is an impressive one, in that it can make converter lockup seem somewhat uneventful. The refinement in its engagement is definitely next-level to what we have seen in the past. As nice as this feels in reference to the NVH (Noise Vibration Harshness), when we start introducing situations where the load demands are testing the limits or outside what the vehicle was initially designed for, it can become a huge problem.

In our SunCoast 10R80 Pro Loc Valve Body we are specifically looking to decrease the time from initial lock-up apply to zero turbine slip. In doing this, we are changing the lockup circuit by replacing the torque converter clutch (TCC) valve in order to increase lockup holding apply fluid pressure. The lockup oil transition time is also improved by modifying critical oiling circuits for the fluid to reach the TCC clutch, resulting in quicker apply time, and therefore, reducing TCC clutch degradation. By reducing degradation per apply cycle, we are allowing for improved reliability and performance.

(NOTE: For maximum results in power levels exceeding 800HP, it is highly recommended that the TCC apply offset be changed in the factory file calibration)

The next facet we address is the lube circuit. The lube circuit on the 10R80 transmission is responsible for supplying oil to the planets, clutches, bushings, etc. From the factory, the lube circuit oil is dispersed throughout the transmission as low as 6 PSI. Under normal load demands, this is perfectly acceptable. In more stressful and demanding situations, an increase in lubrication to clutches, steels, planets is ideal for removing heat and dealing with the increased demands.

In our 10R80 Valve Body we are specifically addressing this circuit from 6 PSI to a whopping 20 PSI. This is a 250% improvement from the factory calibration, resulting in reduced frictional heat generated. This reduction in heat helps lessen pre-mature failure that can become increasingly evident in high horsepower applications.

Another modification to our SunCoast Pro Loc 10R80 Valve Body involves the regulator valve (latch valve) circuit. This oil circuit is responsible for fully engaging the clutches, allowing for full clutch line pressure. In factory form, the regulator valve we are specifically targeting is responsible for A, B, C, and F clutch packs. Of course, our primary clutch pack concern is the 'F" clutch, which tends to be the first and most prominent clutch pack failure with the 10R80 in higher horsepower or more demanding environments.

In a factory 10R80 valve body calibration, the regulator valve (latch valve) becomes fully engaged, allowing full fluid flow for engagement at 120 psi. When this occurs, the oncoming clutch pack has maximal clamping force. When the clamping force is engaged to max capacity, we ascertain the greatest static and dynamic holding capacity. In stock form or even mildly modified vehicles, this is perfectly suitable; however, when we expose the vehicle to a more demanding environment this can be a weak link.

With our SunCoast 10R80 Valve Body and Pump Combo we are decreasing the required pressure to fully engage the regulator to only 80psi. This is a 33% decrease in pressure needed to maximally engage the clutch regulator valve (latch valve) resulting in a quicker shift apply when engaging clutches A, B, C and F. This quicker engagement not only shortens shift times, but it also decreases the heat resonating in the clutch pack, preventing premature degradation and extending clutch life. To improve this shift calibration even more SunCoast is evacuating non-critical oil to increase apply rate.

The factory overall line pressure is modified on this new SunCoast Valve Body and Pump combo. SunCoast is increasing overall main line pressure as much as 60psi. This additional line pressure not only increases maximal clamping force of the individual clutch packs but increases overall pump volume production. To reduce the potential for runaway pressure and the over-compression of clutch fibers, the SunCoast 10R80 Valve Body does have a built-in bypass, dumping excessive pressure above 420psi.

Features and Benefits

• Increased Line Pressure, as much as 60psi
  • Increased clamping force on all clutch packs
  • 250% Increase in Cooler Charge Pressure
  • Increased Lock-up Apply Pressure
  • 33% Decrease in Maximal Pressure Actuation of Clutch Packs
  • Shortened Shift Times
  • Improved Clutch Wear
Sponsored

mustangflanagan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
How well you think this works for a daily driver? Reason I am asking I have a 18 with a whipple and I'm pretty sure valve body is acting up and might be time to build the transmission soon.

OP
OP
beefcake

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
i think they will be fine on daily drivers. our car has 1340 wheel, but is still full weight and drives great so far.

the pump and valve body make about 60 psi over stock, tuners will be able to adjust pressures in the tune

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Terry,

Is this a modified Ford valve body?

When will these be available and I assume the old valve body will be required as core, correct?

Exciting, I predicted the evolution of the 10R80 would happen and I think it's great SunCoast and Beefcake racing are soon to offer these worthy upgrades.

OP
OP
beefcake

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
Terry,

Is this a modified Ford valve body?

When will these be available and I assume the old valve body will be required as core, correct?

Exciting, I predicted the evolution of the 10R80 would happen and I think it's great SunCoast and Beefcake racing are soon to offer these worthy upgrades.

Yes this s a new ford valve body and suncoast builds off that. i should have the first batch shipping to me in the next week or two. they are finishing them up. i still have some available if you wanna get your name on one. A core is no required

Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
How well you think this works for a daily driver? Reason I am asking I have a 18 with a whipple and I'm pretty sure valve body is acting up and might be time to build the transmission soon.
What are your symptoms and whats your HP level? I have a whipple 10r80 18 gt too, no major problems yet but my 4-5 shift seems to be getting slower.

mustangflanagan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
What are your symptoms and whats your HP level? I have a whipple 10r80 18 gt too, no major problems yet but my 4-5 shift seems to be getting slower.
It's flairs at low speed between 4-5 shift almost like car hits a wall, light throttle it shudders like it doesn't know what to do alroind 7th gear. It wants to go to 9-10 gear at low speeds like 40-50mph. And on the highway it will not go to 10 gear unless I lightly let off throttle for a second.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
It's flairs at low speed between 4-5 shift almost like car hits a wall, light throttle it shudders like it doesn't know what to do alroind 7th gear. It wants to go to 9-10 gear at low speeds like 40-50mph. And on the highway it will not go to 10 gear unless I lightly let off throttle for a second.
could try a trans or kam reset

Sponsored

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Terry,

Last question: is the vavle body specific solenoid stragety number downloaded via Forscan, or is something SunCoast provides?

What is the cost of the valve body, I am building my original 10R80 as a back up.

Mustangflanagan,

Caused from a couple of things:

1) Burned steels and heat damaged frictions
2) Debris from the above that has circulated through your hydraulics and partially blocked your shift solenoids

Ford has a TSB that pulses a higher than normal pressure to "clean" the solenoids. However, this is not going to do anything for #1.

Start saving, your flare will only get worse, as will the failure to up shift normally into 10th.

Doughtful a TCM KAM reset is going to fix it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
beefcake

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
we use an ids to program the valve body strategy to the car, i'll have to doulbe check and see if that can be done through a forscan,

mustangflanagan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Terry,

Last question: is the vavle body specific solenoid stragety number downloaded via Forscan, or is something SunCoast provides?

What is the cost of the valve body, I am building my original 10R80 as a back up.

Mustangflanagan,

Caused from a couple of things:

1) Burned steels and heat damaged frictions
2) Debris from the above that has circulated through your hydraulics and partially blocked your shift solenoids

Ford has a TSB that pulses a higher than normal pressure to "clean" the solenoids. However, this is not going to do anything for #1.

Start saving, your flare will only get worse, as will the failure to up shift normally into 10th.

Doughtful a TCM KAM reset is going to fix it.

It's weird though in sport mode it hits every gear fine, all the problems seem to be in D.

OP
OP
beefcake

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang