Sun Visor help with garage door opener.

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
I have the homelink visor in my 16. It works great with the car in the garage to open the door. But when the car is outside the garage, you have to have the car right at the garage door for the door to open. I couldnt take it and bought a 13 dollar transmitter off of Amazon which works from down the street. My opener is older though and my Toyota truck also has a hard time opening. I've read that its the Homelink that sends out a weak signal. Both truck and car are weak. Car is weaker.
Sponsored

Geosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have the homelink visor in my 16. It works great with the car in the garage to open the door. But when the car is outside the garage, you have to have the car right at the garage door for the door to open. I couldnt take it and bought a 13 dollar transmitter off of Amazon which works from down the street. My opener is older though and my Toyota truck also has a hard time opening. I've read that its the Homelink that sends out a weak signal. Both truck and car are weak. Car is weaker.
Mine works from almost halfway down the street. I’ve got a newer opener though...

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I have 3 cars with Homelink. The Mustang works consistently from 3 houses away. The Wife's Fusion used to have to be at the garage door. Our Edge was somewhere in between.
What I did to improve the Fusion was extend the antenna wire on the opener. Originally it was maybe 16" long. I doubled the length and made sure it was stretched out.
That improved the Fusions range to the street in front of the house. Oddly enough it didn't extend the range of the Edge or the Mustang all that much, a little bit but not dramatically.

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
I extended my antenna wire also, from about 12 inches to around three feet. Sometimes I think it helped, sometimes not. So, either I have an older opener,, or my garage door is too well insulated (which I doubt as the clicker works way down the street) or the Homelink in the older S550s has a weak transmitting signal. But my Toyota truck is the same, weak. Luckily, the clicker I bought from Amazon is not much bigger than a zippo lighter so I'll live with that. Someone said above the homelink in the newer mustangs may have a stronger transmitting signal.

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
Today, as my wife says I officially started my midlife crisis. I purchased a 2017 Mustang GT with 2500 miles.
Congratulations on both your crisis and the GT. Enjoy both of them!

I never could get mine to program. I’ve used the clicker since.
Last year I replaced one of my openers with the least expensive unit I could find at Home Depot/Lowes. I don't need 5 horsepower or Internet integration for a freakin' opener...

Anyway. I temporarily bought another car that I was going to put in the spot in the garage where the Mustang usually sits, and could not get the stupid homelink to program that opener. It wasn't the car, it's the opener (I was able to program the other door). It's some extra-cheap old stock (or uber-new technology) thing that must run on a different frequency than what homelink can use. This, apparently, is not an uncommon occurrence.

So, yeah, save your money, just use the remote and stick it on a visor.

Sponsored

Doc2020GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium PP 2018 Explorer. 2012 Toyota Tacoma
It’s odd, homelink in my 2012 Tacoma works great but I’ve never gotten it to work on my 14GT, 19 Corvette or my 20GT.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
It’s odd, homelink in my 2012 Tacoma works great but I’ve never gotten it to work on my 14GT, 19 Corvette or my 20GT.

This may, or may not, help someone. I have read that some door openers will only recognize a finite number of transmitters.
I've never had that problem but I've never had more than 4 programed to mine at a time.

LouerDob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robs
Vehicle(s)
bmw m5
My doctor says that I might be having a mid-life crisis. I was so surprised that I nearly fell from my skateboard. You reminded me about this joke. Congratulations on buying the car! Enjoy it! Btw, I've had a similar problem, but with my garage. Now I have it linked with my home via the app. I don't know what it was, but I decided to change my Garage Door because I couldn't stand it anymore. Now it's much lighter in my garage, and I've reinstalled the recognition system, so it works great. That's it. So, enjoy your car and crisis. Both of them are doing good for you.
Sponsored

Last edited: