Sponsored

Summer vs Winter Tires (Long Trip, Large Temp Swing)

carpenj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
I'm going to have to drive from the northern US to the southern US (12 hours, 700 miles each way) next week and I'm wondering which tires I should use (or, which are more susceptible to temperature damage). I've got a set of Sottozero 3's on now and a set of PS4S in my garage.

The temp when I leave is going to be around 30F. When I arrive down south, it will be about 70F. When I get back home a couple days later, it should be in the 40F neighborhood.

Any thoughts or experience would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
If the Sottozero's are ok with dry and warmer pavement, then they should work fine for the drive down and back. Depending on where in the South you are driving, the evening temps could be down in the 30s or so.

T.O.Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt Mustang
I'm going to have to drive from the northern US to the southern US (12 hours, 700 miles each way) next week and I'm wondering which tires I should use (or, which are more susceptible to temperature damage). I've got a set of Sottozero 3's on now and a set of PS4S in my garage.

The temp when I leave is going to be around 30F. When I arrive down south, it will be about 70F. When I get back home a couple days later, it should be in the 40F neighborhood.

Any thoughts or experience would be greatly appreciated.
I love my PS4S tires but they are lousy in the cold.
As for the prospect of hitting black ice on them? Would rather not have to think about that as I think it wouldn’t be pretty.
With cooler weather coming I put some winter tires on my car a couple of weeks ago, Hankook Winter icept evo2s. Cooler weather came and then a spell of some great warm weather soon after that.
And the tires were fine.
Nowhere near the grip of the PS4Ss, of course, but fine.
If I was going to drive to Florida tomorrow, I’d happily trade the loss of grip and slightly worse ride and noise while there for the security of driving on winters on the way down.
Are you driving through Appalachia? At night?
Not a good place for high performance tires in late November, I think.
I wouldn’t do it.

18ED7DF6-67CA-4F0E-9B46-C05B12A3DDE6.jpeg

OP
OP
carpenj

carpenj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Thanks, everyone. Going through the corner of the Ozarks but otherwise as flat as can be. I was already leaning this way, sounds like the best option for sure!
Sponsored