Summer Tires vs All Seasons and Wheel Questions

RedTetsu13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT California Special
For background I have a 2020 Mustang Ecoboost Premium 10AT w/ the Black Acct Pkg. I currently have the stock Pirelli PZero Nero A/S tires (not a big fan of them).

So starting next year I'll be looking to participate in a few autocrosses and I wanted to get opinions and ideas on whether to run Summer or UHP A/S tires. The autocrosses I run next year will be my first official autocrosses not sure if I'll continue to do them or switch over to track days or just not do them all together. That being said for the time being I'm in the process of trying to decide on what tires to run after this winter (I've already planned on getting Bridgestone Blizzak LM005 for this winter). I'd be looking to either get 255/40R19 tires or 265/40R19 depending on wheel choice (if I stick with one set or get a second set). Like the post suggest I wanted to get opinions on cheaper alternatives to Michelin PS4S or can I get buy and still have fun with good UHP A/S tires and if so which tires you all would recommend in that class of tires.

In terms of wheels, I'm struggling to find an affordable set of 19 inch 6 spoke design wheels (my end goal in terms of appearance is to give it a slight JDM look and the 6 spokes would go a long way). I want to try to keep price down on both ends as a high price would delay my other planned mods (IC upgrade and Tomei Single Titanium Exhaust). Any help, advice or suggestions would be great.
Sponsored

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
ive ran a few high performance all seasons on my gt over the past few years. normal street driving they are fine but anything aggressive and i started to get sketched. they just dont do anything well. they do everything borderline ok. my vote and what ive been planning for awhile is just to get another set of wheels and tires and set the new set up for summer aggressive driving and having a better set of winter wheels and tires for when the weather turns.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Autocrossing you should probably just do a couple events with whatever tires you have under the car to decide if you like the sport.

The good news is you don't have to worry at all about what tires will be competitive - because you won't be competitive when starting out. Nobody is ever any good at autocross at their first couple of events.

If it turns out to be a thing you like doing, then absolutely make the jump to 200 TW Extreme summer tires, they're amazing and you can use them on track too.

OP
OP
RedTetsu13

RedTetsu13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT California Special
Autocrossing you should probably just do a couple events with whatever tires you have under the car to decide if you like the sport.

The good news is you don't have to worry at all about what tires will be competitive - because you won't be competitive when starting out. Nobody is ever any good at autocross at their first couple of events.

If it turns out to be a thing you like doing, then absolutely make the jump to 200 TW Extreme summer tires, they're amazing and you can use them on track too.
And this is kind of where I'm stuck, as I'm 100% sure I intend to replace the stock Pirelli's at the beginning of next Spring. I haven't done a lot of research on Summer tires and most posts I end up finding either involve Michelin PS4S which like I've previously explained are expensive or they recommend me track focused summer tires which are even more expensive. At the end of the day I just want to have fun with my Car and the ever increasing presence of police because of street racing in Detroit has been making it harder for me to just take my car out on a spirited drive.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Are you doing autocross just to have fun and drive your car around a few turns? Or are you looking to be competitive?

CDN Jen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jennifer
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, 2021 Mustang GT PP Convertible

Coreyw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang
To see if you like autocrossing, you should definitely do a couple of events with whatever tires you have under the car. Why don't you look at 4wheelonline for tire recommendations?

Sponsored

keiths2kgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang GT PP 50th AP
Has anyone had any experience with these?

Kumho Ecsta PS91 Summer Performance Tire

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
In terms of wheels, I'm struggling to find an affordable set of 19 inch 6 spoke design wheels (my end goal in terms of appearance is to give it a slight JDM look and the 6 spokes would go a long way). I want to try to keep price down on both ends as a high price would delay my other planned mods (IC upgrade and Tomei Single Titanium Exhaust). Any help, advice or suggestions would be great.
What class are you running? Stock class limits you to stock size wheels (+/- 1" diameter). Which works out to 19x9 (-1" of the optional 20x9 wheels).

Read the rules and watch out that your IC Upgrade doesn't bump you up a class or three.

The cheapest 200 TW tires I think are the Maxxis Victor and Federal 595RS. These work OK from most reports but tend to be loud and a bit rough riding. The Nitto NT05 is another, but it is an old design and not very good.

The Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's are a decent all rounder if you are looking for a daily driver suitable tire (300 TW).

I think in general you can get a dedicated high performance set of top 200TW tires for about he same or less than Michelin PS4, that will be significantly faster.

Using whatever you have is valid if you just want to have fun, and don't care about performance. As soon as you start wanting to be competitive, you will need 200TW tires (and to run the right class, with the right mods).

2015GT50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I am using PZero all season on PP wheels and very happy with them on those spring cool days were the previous PZero were awful to drive with. Gave up some road feel, but overall very happy with the performance on the street and I drive aggressive with full suspension modes. Getting dedicated wheel and tires for the track days.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Plot twist, Why not buy a good set of all season tires to use on the street and install on the wheels you want to run most of the time.
And use the tires on it now that you are not a fan of, on other wheels. while you test the waters of if you'll like auto-x events.
This way you'll at least get some use out of the tires you have, and not scrub the crap out of new tires and then find auto-x isn't for you.
If you scrub the tires you have now it sounds like no love lost.
Sponsored

Last edited: