Summer tire minimum temp

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Here's a snap-shot of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S web-page, the OEM tires on PP1 cars, and what I drove to work on this 40 degree morning, from their own site;

1701964714400.png

Please point out the DO NOT DRIVE BELOW 40-45 DEGREES OR DEATH WILL BE UPON YOU AND YOU WILL CRASH INTO SCHOOL BUSES FILLED WITH NUNS AND KIDS BECAUSE YOUR TIRES WILL DISINTIGRATE AND COME APART disclaimer.

My eyes must be bad.....I don't see it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
From Michelin chat.

Welcome! How can I help? Click on one of the buttons or feel free to type it.

Finding Tires

Tire Specs
Tire Warranty

Winter Extension Promotion

This chat may be monitored or recorded by us and/or our third party providers (see our Privacy Notice). By continuing, you agree to our Terms of Service.

Tire Specs

Great! Let's look up some tire specs.

What's the name of the tire you're interested in? (Example: Defender T+H, Primacy HP, etc)

pilot sport 4

Thanks!

What's your tire size? (e.g. 235/60R18)

275/40r19

Awesome! Here are the specs for those tires!

Pilot Sport 4
275/40ZR19 105Y
Season:
Summer

Warranty:
20,000 Miles

Diameter:

Circumference:

Tread Depth (in 32nds):

Speed Rating:
up to 186 mph

Max Load Per Tire:
2039lbs

Acoustic:
No

Run Flat:
No

Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Find tires for my vehicle

Thanks, that's all

assistant

Thank you for choosing Michelin. I will be here if you need further assistance

Can I help you with anything else today?

live help

Let's see which one of our live agents is available to help you out. One moment while I try to connect ...

You can disconnect at any time by clicking on the green agent icon at the top.

Connection established, waiting for agent...

You are number 2 in line.

You are number 1 in line. You’re next.

Agasthiya S has joined the chat...

Agasthiya S
Hello, I'm Agasthiya. I will be right with you...

This chat may be monitored or recorded by us and/or our third party providers (see our Privacy Notice). By continuing you agree to our Terms of Service.
USA Privacy Notice: https://www.michelinman.com/legal-privacy-center/privacy-notice
USA Terms of Service: https://www.michelinman.com/legal-privacy-center/terms-of-use
Canada Privacy Notice: https://www.michelin.ca/en/legal-privacy-center/privacy-notice
Canada Terms of Service: https://www.michelin.ca/en/legal-privacy-center/terms-of-use

Agasthiya S
Let me check the above conversation and assist you accordingly.

What temps are too cold to use this tire

Agasthiya S
I will help you with the temperature. Before we begin, may I get your first & last name, your phone number, your email address, and your mailing address? This is just for documentation purposes.

Agasthiya S
Not a problem! We respect your privacy.

Agasthiya S
Are you in US or Canada?

US

Agasthiya S
Thank you!

Agasthiya S
Could you please allow me 2 minutes to look into the temperature for you?

yes, thanks

Agasthiya S
Thanks for your patience! I would just like to inform you that 40F is too cold to use Michelin - Pilot Sport 4.

Agasthiya S
Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Is this officially posted on the website?

Agasthiya S
We don't post these information on the website.

Agasthiya S
The temperature differs from tire to tire.

OK thanks Have a good day

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
From Michelin chat.

Welcome! How can I help? Click on one of the buttons or feel free to type it.

Finding Tires

Tire Specs
Tire Warranty

Winter Extension Promotion

This chat may be monitored or recorded by us and/or our third party providers (see our Privacy Notice). By continuing, you agree to our Terms of Service.

Tire Specs

Great! Let's look up some tire specs.

What's the name of the tire you're interested in? (Example: Defender T+H, Primacy HP, etc)

pilot sport 4

Thanks!

What's your tire size? (e.g. 235/60R18)

275/40r19

Awesome! Here are the specs for those tires!

Pilot Sport 4
275/40ZR19 105Y
Season:
Summer

Warranty:
20,000 Miles

Diameter:

Circumference:

Tread Depth (in 32nds):

Speed Rating:
up to 186 mph

Max Load Per Tire:
2039lbs

Acoustic:
No

Run Flat:
No

Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Find tires for my vehicle

Thanks, that's all

assistant

Thank you for choosing Michelin. I will be here if you need further assistance

Can I help you with anything else today?

live help

Let's see which one of our live agents is available to help you out. One moment while I try to connect ...

You can disconnect at any time by clicking on the green agent icon at the top.

Connection established, waiting for agent...

You are number 2 in line.

You are number 1 in line. You’re next.

Agasthiya S has joined the chat...

Agasthiya S
Hello, I'm Agasthiya. I will be right with you...

This chat may be monitored or recorded by us and/or our third party providers (see our Privacy Notice). By continuing you agree to our Terms of Service.
USA Privacy Notice: https://www.michelinman.com/legal-privacy-center/privacy-notice
USA Terms of Service: https://www.michelinman.com/legal-privacy-center/terms-of-use
Canada Privacy Notice: https://www.michelin.ca/en/legal-privacy-center/privacy-notice
Canada Terms of Service: https://www.michelin.ca/en/legal-privacy-center/terms-of-use

Agasthiya S
Let me check the above conversation and assist you accordingly.

What temps are too cold to use this tire

Agasthiya S
I will help you with the temperature. Before we begin, may I get your first & last name, your phone number, your email address, and your mailing address? This is just for documentation purposes.

Agasthiya S
Not a problem! We respect your privacy.

Agasthiya S
Are you in US or Canada?

US

Agasthiya S
Thank you!

Agasthiya S
Could you please allow me 2 minutes to look into the temperature for you?

yes, thanks

Agasthiya S
Thanks for your patience! I would just like to inform you that 40F is too cold to use Michelin - Pilot Sport 4.

Agasthiya S
Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Is this officially posted on the website?

Agasthiya S
We don't post these information on the website.

Agasthiya S
The temperature differs from tire to tire.

OK thanks Have a good day
giphy.gif

YEAH!!!! O.k.!!!!

"We don't post these information on the website."

Oh, it's sooooooo dangerous. Oh my, you're going to ruin your tires and run over children and die!!!! It's sooooooo dangerous we don't even put a warning or disclaimer on our website.

That you spent all that time and effort to desperately coerce a specific prompted response you were looking for is laughable. You even took the time to type out a transcript like a Congressional disposition. And that incredibly important safety information is so well-known at Michelin customer service, that they had to put your web-chat on fucking 2 minute hold while they went and asked someone else for the answer.

And all the while Ford and others put them on hundreds of thousands of vehicles every year, and it's no problem.

I guess someone better tell Michelin about that. Starting with their web-chat service.

Keep being afraid of the boogeyman from 2005.

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Glad I can amuse you. It was a live agent. I'm retired I got nothing but time

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a snap-shot of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S web-page, the OEM tires on PP1 cars, and what I drove to work on this 40 degree morning, from their own site;

1701964714400.png

Please point out the DO NOT DRIVE BELOW 40-45 DEGREES OR DEATH WILL BE UPON YOU AND YOU WILL CRASH INTO SCHOOL BUSES FILLED WITH NUNS AND KIDS BECAUSE YOUR TIRES WILL DISINTIGRATE AND COME APART disclaimer.

My eyes must be bad.....I don't see it.
Are they dangerous? not really, not unless you let the cracking get out of hand. A low probability of a disaster still seems worth avoiding. Just because you haven't been hit by a lightning bolt yet doesn't mean everyone should go play on hilltops in thunderstorms with umbrellas.

Will you damage the tire? Absolutely and obviously yes. Myself and others can speak to that first hand, or go read the countless other threads on countless other car forums about the same thing.

They're clearly labeled as a SUMMER TIRE. Little helper icons up in the corner for those who can't read too. They talk plenty about when to use summer versus all-season versus winter tires and when you should switch out summer tire elsewhere on the website if you dig a little.

Better and more accurate info is here on Tire Rack's website.. Copy looks absolutely provided by Michellin.
1701967294444.png

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Are they dangerous? not really, not unless you let the cracking get out of hand. A low probability of a disaster still seems worth avoiding. Just because you haven't been hit by a lightning bolt yet doesn't mean everyone should go play on hilltops in thunderstorms with umbrellas.

Will you damage the tire? Absolutely and obviously yes. Myself and others can speak to that first hand, or go read the countless other threads on countless other car forums about the same thing.

They're clearly labeled as a SUMMER TIRE. Little helper icons up in the corner for those who can't read too. They talk plenty about when to use summer versus all-season versus winter tires and when you should switch out summer tire elsewhere on the website if you dig a little.

Better and more accurate info is here on Tire Rack's website.. Copy looks absolutely provided by Michellin.
1701967294444.png
WTF do you know about driving in winter temps?

What tires have you cracked from driving in winter temps? Show us proof.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Glad I can amuse you. It was a live agent. I'm retired I got nothing but time
IT WAS A LIVE AGENT!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

You fucking wrote out that transcript????? And you went through all of that and didn't know enough to ask about the Michelin Pilots Sport 4S!!??

Watcha think about them hundreds of thousands of cars sold with those very same tires every year? What do you think, all those cars come with a second set of wheels and tires to change to when it gets cold?

None of my cars have. Must be an oversight on the dealership's part.......hundreds of thousands of times every year. Yeah, that must be it.

How many sets of MPSO tires did you say you've gone through? Oh, that's right.... NONE!!!!

GTFOutta here!!!!

Last edited:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
WTF do you know about driving in winter temps?

What tires have you cracked from driving in winter temps? Show us proof.
You're a funny guy. I've lived in cold climates and dealt with my share of winter, ice, and snow.

I've had two sets of Michellins develop cracks all over IN TEXAS. Can you really not read?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
You fucking wrote out that transcript?????
Have you ever heard of copy and paste?

Anyway I'm done responding to you. If you want to drive on summer tires all year, more power to you. Michelin says not to use Pilot Sport 4's below 40 degrees.

You should stop telling people it is OK, since the manufacturer says it is not.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Have you ever heard of copy and paste?

Anyway I'm done responding to you. If you want to drive on summer tires all year, more power to you. Michelin says not to use Pilot Sport 4's below 40 degrees.

You should stop telling people it is OK, since the manufacturer says it is not.
Copy and pate what? You said it was a live agent.

You want me to stop telling people it's OK because some woman on the phone gave you some liability lawyer's answer from 2005???? You have a problem with me telling people it's o.k. to drive on those tires in the cold!!??

But you have 0 problem with, and no capability of acknowledging, that Ford and other manufacturers equip those tires on hundreds of thousands of cars every year. With absolutely 0 expectation of all of those owners knowing anything about your supposed MASSIVE SAFETY ISSUE, nor even the slightest bit of effort put into addressing it.

Hell, you'd think these companies would take the opportunity to sell their customers second sets of wheels, tires and TPMS. Tell their customers it's mandatory, they don't have a choice. BOOM!!! More sales and profits.

Anyways.....at least I know WTF I'm talking about. At least I'm talking from a position of knowledge and actual experience, instead of bloviating fear out of sheer ignorance and useless webchat legalese platitudes from 2005.

Last edited:

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
You're a funny guy. I've lived in cold climates and dealt with my share of winter, ice, and snow.

I've had two sets of Michellins develop cracks all over IN TEXAS. Can you really not read?
I can find old sets of Michelin tires cracking in Texas too. That has nothing to do with the topic of the discussion at hand.

But please, do share what "winter, ice and snow" you run into in Texas. I'm all ears.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Let me ask;

If there were MASSIVE SAFETY ISSUES with using MPSO tires in cold temps, who would be sued?

And then please, show me all those lawsuits that have occurred because such tires come apart/crack and MASSIVE SAFEYT ISSUES and death and gore and dismemberment.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I can find old sets of Michelin tires cracking in Texas too. That has nothing to do with the topic of the discussion at hand.

But please, do share what "winter, ice and snow" you run into in Texas. I'm all ears.
You're obviously not a meteorologist and I bet you really don't know much at all about the largest state in the continental US.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Let me ask;

If there were MASSIVE SAFETY ISSUES with using MPSO tires in cold temps, who would be sued?

And then please, show me all those lawsuits that have occurred because such tires come apart/crack and MASSIVE SAFEYT ISSUES and death and gore and dismemberment.
Nobody would be sued, because the consumer was driving a summer tire in cold temps and using right kind of tire for the conditions is really obvious common knowledge stuff.

You get to sue mcdonalds if you get burned trying to drink scalding hot coffee. You don't get to sue mcdonalds for sticking scalding hot coffee up your rectum, because its common knowledge that's not what its for.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
You're obviously not a meteorologist and I bet you really don't know much at all about the largest state in the continental US.
Spent a winter in Houston. Drove my Mustang with it's MPSO tires.
Sponsored