Summer tire minimum temp

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Someone in a warmer climate check their tire sidewalls and see if there are any micro-cracks ... bet there are.
I've driven year-around on MPSO tires for years. Daily driven. In temps down to 0. It's fine.

Cracks happened 15-20 years ago with those shit Mercedes Original Pirelli MPSO tires from the S197s. The tire tech has gotten better, specifically the Michelin PS4s. And it's not the sidewalls, it's in-between the tread blocks where cracks can appear.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I hear ya... my point was more so that someone can attribute a fault to the cold and it'll be there just from normal driving.

I've also driven mine in above-zero temps no problem if being sensible. Having said that, when the OE ones go, I'm getting all-seasons.

Ironpeddler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ecoboost Premium, PP, HP
I've driven year-around on MPSO tires for years. Daily driven. In temps down to 0. It's fine.

Cracks happened 15-20 years ago with those shit Mercedes Original Pirelli MPSO tires from the S197s. The tire tech has gotten better, specifically the Michelin PS4s. And it's not the sidewalls, it's in-between the tread blocks where cracks can appear.
Bro…that’s great for you, you’re awesome! When I took off the Pirelli Corsa tires to put on the Michelin AS tires, they had tons of hair line cracks on the sidewalls of all four tires. That was last September, not 15-20 years ago. Facts.

Last edited:

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Bro…that’s great for you, you’re awesome! When I took off the Pirelli Corsa tires to put on the Michelin AS tires, they had tons of hair this cracks on the sidewalls of all four tires. That was last September, not 15-20 years ago. Facts.
Kona is a clown, take anything he says as such. If he’s serious about driving summer tires year round including in freezing temps, he’s a moron and is a risk on the roads.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Kona is a clown, take anything he says as such. If he’s serious about driving summer tires year round including in freezing temps, he’s a moron and is a risk on the roads.
When I was 17 I drove all year on a set of drag slicks, not DOT rated. This was in Eau Claire Wi. Just because I did it and did not wreck does not mean it was a smart thing to do, and there is no way I'd tell someone to run them.

Young and dumb. It was fun, but there was not anywhere near as much traffic back then.

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Bro…that’s great for you, you’re awesome! When I took off the Pirelli Corsa tires to put on the Michelin AS tires, they had tons of hair this cracks on the sidewalls of all four tires. That was last September, not 15-20 years ago. Facts.
Pirelli Corsa tires? Had tons of hair this cracks?

You don't say. What do you think caused all those hair this cracks?

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
When you can't counter with facts, attack personally.

Tell me....how many sets of MPSO tires have you gone through on your Mustang? Be specific, explain the exact brand and model(s).

When I was 17 I drove all year on a set of drag slicks, not DOT rated. This was in Eau Claire Wi. Just because I did it and did not wreck does not mean it was a smart thing to do, and there is no way I'd tell someone to run them.

Young and dumb. It was fun, but there was not anywhere near as much traffic back then.
Tell me....how many sets of MPSO tires have you gone through on your Mustang? Be specific, explain the exact brand and model(s).

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
You make me laugh.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
40 degrees this morning. Drove to work.

The funny thing is; all of you think that Ford deliberately produced and sold cars that can't be driven year around. All those (S197) Track Pack and (S550) Performance Pack 1 cars, no one is supposed to drive in the winter. All three that I've owned....the waivers I never had to sign about the tires.

It's such a big deal that there's been.........zero lawsuits against Ford for selling Mustangs that are dangerous to drive in the winter.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
You make me laugh.
What a factual reply. Full of useful and pertinent information from your first-hand experiences.

Live in Kentucky all your driving life?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bob Lob Law

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT Premium
Currently running summer tires(Firehawk 500s) year round. Been in the low 20s every morning for a week and a half. Have had 0 issues unless being aggressive. Saying that it is dangerous is laughable. The snow should be interesting, but, not worried about it. But, to each their own.

momalle1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Currently running summer tires(Firehawk 500s) year round. Been in the low 20s every morning for a week and a half. Have had 0 issues unless being aggressive. Saying that it is dangerous is laughable. The snow should be interesting, but, not worried about it. But, to each their own.
I agree and have the same tires. I don't drive mine on snow, but I have driven them on dry pavement in temps as low as the teens with no issues. I have no cracks and I don't drive like a grandma, but in the cold, I also don't drive like I'm auto-crossing either. They stop and corner just fine.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
This right here raises a good question.

For the most part there is some agreement on driving summer tires in cold weather. But what about cars on PS4s tires that are stored or garaged in cold weather? My garage isn’t heated but still is usually a few degrees warmer than outside ambient temp. And there were a few days last Christmas when it got down to around 0* outside and stayed below freezing for a few days. No stored soft drinks stored in the garage actually froze but still I wonder about the tires. They seem OK but ??
Its sudden changes in temerature and being flexed when cold which put them at risk.

If you just have tire sitting in a sheltered area which changes temperature slowly they should be fine. They may harden slowly over time due to temperature cycles and dry out a bit as most tires will do once the’ve been scrubbed in by use and then stored.

The absolute best way to store a tire will be to put it in an air tight bag, protected from UVs (i.e. a black bag and/or away from windows) and keep them at a constant temperature

Singing them a lullaby before bed helps too.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Just because you can doesn’t mean you should (as Dan said above). There’s a reason all the summer tire manufacturers state not to drive on them in temps lower than 40-45F. The compound structure changes in the cold temps and yes, they could become dangerous in certain conditions.

But those that do it must know better than the manufacturers (and yes, some of their warning is CYA but it’s obviously there for a reason). You do you I guess. ✌

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Just because you can doesn’t mean you should (as Dan said above). There’s a reason all the summer tire manufacturers state not to drive on them in temps lower than 40-45F. The compound structure changes in the cold temps and yes, they could become dangerous in certain conditions.

But those that do it must know better than the manufacturers (and yes, some of their warning is CYA but it’s obviously there for a reason). You do you I guess. ✌
And yet Ford and other manufacturers still put them on hundreds of thousands of cars a year, and it's no problem. No lawsuits. No waivers to be signed. Nothing.

No, they're not dangerous. To say that is ignorance and lack of experience.
Sponsored