Sponsored

Summer Only Tire Warning, Blue curbed 322 miles

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Well, the Pirelli P Zero's that come stock on the GT are definitely NOT the tire to have when the road and ambient air temperature is below 40 degrees F! Took the car out on a (rare) sunny and dry day this month and just nudged the gas on a tight 90 degree sweeper and the rear end immediately broke traction (albeit not too uncontrolled)...car recovered nicely but I believe the poor Lady behind me peed her Depends!!! Morale to the story? Michelin Pilot Super Sports are going on this thing come springtime!
Until they warm up, yeah they're terrible. The first couple of miles are a little interesting. But I find that even in temperatures in the teens that the P Zeros aren't awful once you've gotten a few miles in them.
Sponsored

Phlyguy

International SAR Pilot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT with Recaro Seats
Until they warm up, yeah they're terrible. The first couple of miles are a little interesting. But I find that even in temperatures in the teens that the P Zeros aren't awful once you've gotten a few miles in them.
Agreed (it was very dry out but you could see the film of manganese or ice melt compound still on the surface) so it was probably a combination of both cold temperatures and road surface that exacerbated the problem. Still, the P Zero's do not inspire cold weather driving confidence one bit (hopefully an early end to winter regardless of what the @#%$% Groundhog said) :headbang:

101charley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charley
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Magnetic, 400A, 6AT, 3.55, MBRP Street
Sorry, this doesn't sound reasonable at all. No way are the tires responsible for this at 56 degrees on a dry road. No way the air bags deploy at 18 miles per hour.

Mikeg4572

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GTPP
I'm sorry but maybe some of you should go back to drivers Ed! It's a total joke that you are blaming tires.

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.
It's a total joke that you are blaming tires.
+1 sorry about the car, but there is no way you took that turn at an appropriate speed.

Sponsored

Don

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTPP, Wipple Stage 2
I was out today and yesterday. Yesterday it was -15f (MINUS 15 in WI with wind chill) for a few hours tooling around in a GT with PP and PZeros. No issues what so ever. Yes the first minute or two the tires gave way from a dead stop going to turn, but that's it. The rest of the ride I had no issues.

Far from the ideal tires, but I know my limits and that of the car. I wouldn't attempt it if there was even a slight dusting of snow on the roads. However if they're clear, these tires will not cause you to ass out unless you're driving aggressively or don't know the car.

Last edited:

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
agreed.

cush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium with PP, Guard Metalic
1) Pay/Finance $36K+ for high HP/TQ car.

2) Pay/Finance an additional $2K for Performance Package

3) Look at paying an additional $1.5K for a dedicated winter set up and go "Too expensive!"

:headbonk::doh::headbonk:
1.5K is a bit light unless you use the same wheels....

REDHRSE

PONY UP!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 401A 3.73 gears, Redline int, all options
I just left El Paso headed to Alabama then Virginia. Im in Houston now. The rain is coming tomorrow and i know the further East i get the lower the temps will be. Yeah im worried.

Sponsored

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
1.5K is a bit light unless you use the same wheels....
On TireRack right now:

Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 245/40R19 = $183 each
Sport Edition ST4 Silver 19x8.5 = $165 each

Total for four wheels+tires, mounted and balanced = $1392.00

murphyslaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Cayman, 2023 Lighning
We ran our first Autocross of the season yesterday in 60 degree weather and rain, and I had the first level of TC off, and it was literally pretty hard for me to break the back end loose with the A/S 235's. different animal, I know, but I thought the T/C seemed pretty effective.

[ame]

Sorry this happened. Weird though, as I pretty much drive summer only's all the time because our A/X season is almost year/round and haven't ever come close to breaking the back end out in a 15 year old BMW.

The mustang is getting 265 summer only's this week, so good to know.

Chris6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White GT w/PP
I'm in Northern VA and have the summer tires on still. I drive maybe 2-3 days a week to work in very very cold temps. I definitely lose traction slightly but you'd be an idiot to expect anything different. It's too late into the cold season to fork out the money for snow tires when I don't drive that often.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I'm in Northern VA and have the summer tires on still. I drive maybe 2-3 days a week to work in very very cold temps. I definitely lose traction slightly but you'd be an idiot to expect anything different. It's too late into the cold season to fork out the money for snow tires when I don't drive that often.

Nice to see another local member! It was 4 degrees when I left the house this morning driving to work with my Continental DW summer tires.

Chris6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White GT w/PP
Centreville/Fairfax? And yeah I believe my temperature read 4 or 5 :/
Sponsored