Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Do you really not use CC? Do you hate yourself or are you just being obtuse?

Where do you put your right arm when not shifting in an automatic? Where do you put your left foot if you don't have a clutch? How do you start the car if you don't have to hand crank it? I find that I disconnected from driving in the rain when I don't have to pull on my wiper blade rope.

/S

I drive all day for work sometimes, mostly in the city, and the less I have to pay attention to my speed the more attention I have to apply somewhere else. I don't have to worry that I am speeding while in a company vehicle and by freeing up my right foot altogether I can be more ready to hit the brakes if I need to. It doesn't put you to sleep, it just makes dealing with heavy traffic and long stretches that much easier.
I don't use CC at all. I used it all the time in my last car but it's too easy to keep a desired speed in the mustang. Now after I go mod happy, CC might be used again because the car will want to leap far ahead of any speed limit most likely.
Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Drivers in the Northeast US aren't exactly the most patient drivers when the light changes.

And there's no need whatsoever for forcing a technology that primarily benefits big-city driving on those of us who would more commonly have to stop at a stop sign before turning in a neighborhood or onto the main road. I'd be pretty annoyed if my car shut down and restarted three times or more between my house and the main road. Especially when it's either very hot or very cold out.

Norm
The auto shut off thing really isn't that bad. Also, when stopped and keeping lighter on the brake pedal, the engine wont cut off. In your stop sign scenario, I highly doubt the engine would cut off at all. I don't see how the .00000001 fuel savings can make a difference but I also don't find the auto shut off too annoying either.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If you can’t figure out why someone would use cruise control, let alone ACC, you’re either trolling and/or being purposefully obtuse. JFC.
Do you want me to say I think it's out of either laziness or an overdeveloped sense of entitlement to luxury? I've been trying to avoid going there.

Kind of separately, isn't ACC just another sip of the Kool-Aid toward letting fully autonomous cars do all of the little tasks we collectively call "driving" for us?

Norm

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Do you want me to say I think it's out of either laziness or an overdeveloped sense of entitlement to luxury? I've been trying to avoid going there.

Kind of separately, isn't ACC just another sip of the Kool-Aid toward letting fully autonomous cars do all of the little tasks we collectively call "driving" for us?

Norm
i dont like or use CC either. Unless you are someone that has an issue with their legs and it causes you problems to keep it on the gas pedal for extended periods of time..and NEED that rest that the CC can possibly provide..then ok. maybe.

I also have cruise control on my 2016 bmw s1000rr sports bike. While its a nice feature, i only use it very rarely on long rides to give my right hand/arm a break for about 10 seconds, if that. Otherwise..i never use CC on any vehicle and if having it as an option costs more money, id prefer not to have it. Which is why i didnt want ACC on my mustang.

Some people like it though; and im sure there are many different reasons ranging from laziness, to just being physically easier for them, and everything in between. But i definitely dont think it is silly or "obtuse" to not like or use it.

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Resting your right foot on the accelerator pedal at 0% throttle puts your ankle at an unnatural angle and can get tiring. If you use the accelerator pedal as a dead pedal for your right foot there is some risk of overriding the CC system from time to time. Still not seeing the benefit.

Norm
Seriously Norm? I was kind of kidding when I said that. I've been driving for 50+ years and have had cars with CC for decades. Never once had to think about where I put my feet. I know you don't like a lot of this modern tech stuff but even you have to agree that there is a difference in "driving" and "commuting". When I'm on a long highway ride I'm not "driving" so conveniences like ACC are welcome. When it's time to drive, convenience stuff get turned off.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
i dont like or use CC either. Unless you are someone that has an issue with their legs and it causes you problems to keep it on the gas pedal for extended periods of time..and NEED that rest that the CC can possibly provide..then ok. maybe.

I also have cruise control on my 2016 bmw s1000rr sports bike. While its a nice feature, i only use it very rarely on long rides to give my right hand/arm a break for about 10 seconds, if that. Otherwise..i never use CC on any vehicle and if having it as an option costs more money, id prefer not to have it. Which is why i didnt want ACC on my mustang.

Some people like it though; and im sure there are many different reasons ranging from laziness, to just being physically easier for them, and everything in between. But i definitely dont think it is silly or "obtuse" to not like or use it.
Adam, there are those on here, not you by the way, that have a "my way or the highway" attitude for things they do not particularly like. Be it automatic transmissions, 4 cylinder engines or numerous safely and connivence features. I did not need ACC, the car had it. I tried it, I liked it. period. I'm fine with anyone who feels differently. I do not like being "told" that I do not need/want something.

By the way, I hate auto stop/start. First thing I turn off in my wife's Escape. And because I hate I think everyone else should too.

Kidding...................:cwl::crackup::like:

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Adam, there are those on here, not you by the way, that have a "my way or the highway" attitude for things they do not particularly like. Be it automatic transmissions, 4 cylinder engines or numerous safely and connivence features. I did not need ACC, the car had it. I tried it, I liked it. period. I'm fine with anyone who feels differently. I do not like being "told" that I do not need/want something.

By the way, I hate auto stop/start. First thing I turn off in my wife's Escape. And because I hate I think everyone else should too.

Kidding...................:cwl::crackup::like:
I agree.

I always turned off the auto stop/start in my gf's bmw 328i as well. Not a fan.

To each their own. Lol

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rapid Red 401A PP1 A10 Magneride
There is a thread on here about how to disable the data collection. You just have to pull the #9 5a fuse (telematics comm unit or somerhing) in the passenger compartment. I did and it has had no effect on the cars operation or even any, not even warnings that it is disconnected.

Functionally you lose it he ability to use fordpass to remote lock/unlock and where you last parked.
You better believe I've read that thread at length. :sunglasses:

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Auto stop start on our 19 Mazda 3 doesnt bother us, but one thing i absolutely love and think once you get use to it, how did you ever live without it features is the auto hold for the brakes, coming up to a stop light and just let the electric e brake hold you there, at first i was like this is a gimmick but now i love it, drive through, stop light just a great feature without having to hold the brake pedal down.

That said i dont wanna give up my manual ebrake for it.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
but one thing i absolutely love and think once you get use to it, how did you ever live without it features is the auto hold for the brakes, coming up to a stop light and just let the electric e brake hold you there
so Mazda turned 'hill-start assist' up to 11? ie. engages regardless of terrain tilt...

I've utilized the 'anti-stall' feature of the Mustang when maneuvering in tight parallel parking confines on a slope. I feel my driver IQ plummeting though every time I do it because I know it's cheating and exposing my slacking off on skills development.

On significant inclines I use the hand-brake as is to be expected.
Computer assist of tasks that generations of drivers mastered in the past is just turning out Pussy, under-skilled drivers. No offense intended or implied to all you 'pussy' drivers out there. Though if you want to infer it, I won't stop you. :wink:

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
These threads tend to always go in this direction. There are going to be many who love the safety features and many who don't because they don't feel they need it. I will say one thing, having a brother-in-law who owned his plane, he would always point out that most pilots don't skip a single safety feature (affordable) when buying planes, regardless of how well they felt they were at controlling planes. I know, I know...planes, trains, automobiles.

I have the Safe and Sound and Adaptive Cruise Control; my experience has been that the collision avoidance has only come on once and that is when someone ran a red light and turned in front of me. It braked but didn't abruptly stop the car on a dime. I'll rate that feature as not being an inconvenience to me, as it has only happened once. "IF" someone else was driving my car, they may have considered that assistance to be a big plus.

I've used the adaptive cruise control a few times when traveling and the traffic had a constant speed for miles and miles. I'll rate this feature as not being an inconvenience, as I have used it and can turn it off when needed.

Lane Assist...well most would say who needs it...all I will say if you are a phone/texter type driver, you might want to keep it turned on.....or on a long trip where tiredness may come into play, it may jar you enough to avoid driving into the other lane or off the road. Sometimes I have it on and sometimes not...I tend to try to stay in my lane...if you use your turn signals to change lanes(hint, hint) it is not too intrusive.

The good thing is that at least a couple of the features will remain options and you can choose whether you want it or not. The others can mostly be defeated, if you dislike it enough to take the time to do it. Yep, you may have to do it after each startup...but hey, you get to have it your way :)

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
so Mazda turned 'hill-start assist' up to 11? ie. engages regardless of terrain tilt...

I've utilized the 'anti-stall' feature of the Mustang when maneuvering in tight parallel parking confines on a slope. I feel my driver IQ plummeting though every time I do it because I know it's cheating and exposing my slacking off on skills development.

On significant inclines I use the hand-brake as is to be expected.
Computer assist of tasks that generations of drivers mastered in the past is just turning out Pussy, under-skilled drivers. No offense intended or implied to all you 'pussy' drivers out there. Though if you want to infer it, I won't stop you. :wink:
i guess yes, easy way to state is hill assist turned up to 11 lol. My parents Optima Hybrid has the same function. you have to enable it every time, but in both cases they are right above the electric ebrake button. when you enable it and come to a stop it holds the brakes or the ebrake, honestly not 100% sure since i dont hear the ebrake engaging like when you engage it parked,. you can then lift your foot off the brake and it stays until you start pressing the gas pedal then smoothly disengages. both vehicles are seamless. not jerky or anything. just touch the gas pedal and its off you go.

Like i said at first it was weird and i thought very gimmicky, but now i love it. no more holding the brake at any long stop light or drive thru.. Its one of the "dumb" features that im sure many wont like but i do. I dont have a problem with technology. sounds like some still wish they had a physical key, and manual windows and locks. Probably should get rid of starters and crank start your engine for the "full experience"

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Probably should get rid of starters and crank start your engine for the "full experience"
I'll settle for brake boost being turned WAY the HECK down so that in a failure the brake system is actually useful. These days you can brace yourself so hard against the seat to break the ratchet mechanism as you stand on the pedal and it barely makes a dent. To be honest engine braking is probably more effective at deceleration, which is an unacceptable (and should be illegal) situation.
Sponsored