Sulfer/Rotten Egg Smell from Exhaust

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 California GT: Black
ive just noticed, the last two times, there has been a real strong sulfer/rotten egg smell when I park the car in the garage

i havent noticed it in the past, obviously when im parked outside i cant tell, but I only realised today when a family member said "geez are new cars supposed to smell like this?"

for the record, 700km, have never redlined, max is 3.5krpm
only 95 Fuel so far, no mods

should I be worried?
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Change the fuel brand you are using start there.

Jerrycobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
I know that is pretty common to get a smell when you go WOT on these cars and the cats get hot, I have personally smelled when I was doing some WOT runs on back roads. As far as normal conditions and parked up, I am not so sure.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I have not had that one, the car always get High test, breakfast of champions LOL

And it has been pushed pretty hard on some mountain runs. Have a summons to prove it, most fun for a hundred bucks spent ever. :question:

The track will be 400, but the no cops, all good.

kev1949

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
kevin
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
The cats don't handle sulfur well at w.o.t. My C6 stunk big time.The GT not so much.

Sponsored

-Armoured-

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wolfgang
Vehicle(s)
Mazda RX7
My mazda family car does this. It's been doing it for years. I think the wife fills up at 7/11 lol. Not idea how good or crappy their fuel is but it hasn't caused any issues... yet

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
I wouldn't describe the smell quite like you have, however given how new your car is and the fact you noticed after driving It just sounds like all the black shit they spray under your car (some sort of rust protection for export) burning off. If its that then don't worry and be prepared for this smell for ages.

-Armoured-

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wolfgang
Vehicle(s)
Mazda RX7
I wouldn't describe the smell quite like you have, however given how new your car is and the fact you noticed after driving It just sounds like all the black shit they spray under your car (some sort of rust protection for export) burning off. If its that then don't worry and be prepared for this smell for ages.
Good point, my car did that when it was new too but it didn't smell of sulphur. It was more of an overheated plastic smell. Oh boy did they do a horrible job of that coating. The bastards went apeshit on my car and got the stuff everywhere. It's embarrassing.

dps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition; 2021 GTS 4.0
Pretty common catalytic by product. Nothing to worry about (yet) periodically and will diminish over time. Once you notice this, you'll notice coming from other cars as well. Usually result of fuel components (not fully combusted) getting to the converter.

Keep and eye on it, but I wouldn't worry about it yet...

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; essentially the smell is the converter doing the job of reducing "bad' tailpipe emissions. If an engine is running too rich not all the fuel is being properly burnt in the cylinder combustion and some fuel is getting into the exhaust pipes. The converter is in essence a "stove" designed to burn that excess fuel at high enough temperatures to reduce the "bad' emissions which would otherwise happen.
Running rich can have some negative effects. It often means reduced fuel economy. If the converter runs too hot it can actually melt internal components. I have known of one case where a fellow ignored this issue and damaged the engine as well as melted a converter.

Changing the source of fuel might help. That is a thing beyond my experience so far. As a general guess my first suspicion would be one or more O2 sensors are out of range. At 700 KM, not enough miles to have worn out a O2 sensor in a normal manner. I tend to replace O2 sensors at around 100, 000 miles under normal running.

I sometimes get the smell from other cars when I am behind them. Most often on a hill where they are giving more throttle to power up the hill. I gather the smell is noticed after you pull the car inside after a drive. If you have some reason to go with a hard throttle application right before the car is parked, that might be a reason. The extra fuel will take a while to "cook" off inside the converter.

I do not know for sure you have a problem, but you should not ignore it. You have a new car with low miles and it is running a bit rich, at least at times. A more low sulphur fuel might help the smell but will not address the rich running. The cats on an exhaust system are there because the computer and it's sensors cannot match the perfect air/fuel ratio 100% of the time. So for the few times a bit of extra fuel escapes the engine the converter will burn it off.
A scenario that might be is if you blip the throttle right before you shut the engine off. That might send a spurt of fuel. Just a guess.

Count Drunkula

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
If it's deffo coming from your exhaust, then I'm not sure, but that rotten egg/sulphur smell can also be caused by your alternator going on the blink. Got any faintly pulsing dash lights?

OP
OP

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 California GT: Black
Just thoguht I'd update.
Last 3 times rotten egg smell from exhaust has gone. So all happy
I did rev it a bit before turning the engine off

Last edited:

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
If it's deffo coming from your exhaust, then I'm not sure, but that rotten egg/sulphur smell can also be caused by your alternator going on the blink. Got any faintly pulsing dash lights?
Hello; Some years ago they switched from clutch material made with asbestos to some sort of other material. I have noticed when running a car up a ramp and having to slip the clutch a bit there can be a foul smell. It is only noticed under those conditions, I guess because I get under the car right away. Just a thought.

Walt Kowalski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DonaldTrumpFan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT FB. 6M. Twister O. 2020 Conv GT 10A - MagnaRide, Twister O.
ive just noticed, the last two times, there has been a real strong sulfer/rotten egg smell when I park the car in the garage

i havent noticed it in the past, obviously when im parked outside i cant tell, but I only realised today when a family member said "geez are new cars supposed to smell like this?"

for the record, 700km, have never redlined, max is 3.5krpm
only 95 Fuel so far, no mods

should I be worried?
I’ve never experienced it in my car UNTIL YESTERDAY!
WTH?
Sponsored