Sponsored

Suggestion For Rear Bounciness (PP w/ Steeda Linears)

Boddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Hello,

I recently installed some Steeda minimum drop linears on my performance pack 15 GT. It's had some time to settle and I worry the rates are a bit much for the pp shocks in the rear. Its a 15 but only has 23k miles, but still the rear can be really bouncy now. I was wondering if just added rear shocks like Viking Crusaders would fix the issue or if getting all four corners with Steeda Pro-Action or FRPP would be better suited? I also will soon be installing the FRPP half shafts and worry if these aftermarket shocks are going to rub on these much larger half shafts?
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
“Time to settle” isn’t a thing, clock the bushings if you haven’t done that. I hope you trimmed the bump stops a little too?

yeah tho, the PP shocks are barely enough (and arguably inadequate) for the PP springs. The pro action non adjustables wouldn’t be as good as the Ford Racing units or the Bilsteins.

some people will say that aftermarket upper rearshock mounts will help. My experience is they’re not a noticable improvement. Shocks are your main fix.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Hello,

I recently installed some Steeda minimum drop linears on my performance pack 15 GT. It's had some time to settle and I worry the rates are a bit much for the pp shocks in the rear. Its a 15 but only has 23k miles, but still the rear can be really bouncy now. I was wondering if just added rear shocks like Viking Crusaders would fix the issue or if getting all four corners with Steeda Pro-Action or FRPP would be better suited? I also will soon be installing the FRPP half shafts and worry if these aftermarket shocks are going to rub on these much larger half shafts?
Number one issue I have seen is improperly trimmed bump stops in the rear.
Steeda Tech

OP
OP
Boddie

Boddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
“Time to settle” isn’t a thing, clock the bushings if you haven’t done that. I hope you trimmed the bump stops a little too?

yeah tho, the PP shocks are barely enough (and arguably inadequate) for the PP springs. The pro action non adjustables wouldn’t be as good as the Ford Racing units or the Bilsteins.

some people will say that aftermarket upper rearshock mounts will help. My experience is they’re not a noticable improvement. Shocks are your main fix.
Number one issue I have seen is improperly trimmed bump stops in the rear.
Steeda Tech
I had a friend install them at his shop. Looks like he didn't trim them. Will get them adjusted and see if it helps.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
That won't solve the bounce. It might help but the bounce will still be there. Do yourself a huge favor and replace the rear PP1 dampers with a set of Ford Perf. Track or Bilstein dampers.

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
the rear can be really bouncy now.
Hey Boddie PP1 rear bounce is well known, if you search on here for 'pp1 rear shock bounce' you'll get a lot of info not only on the why but also how to fix it.

UglyMutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I’ve been running Ford performance track dampers for a week and love it. I got the track handling pack and don’t regret it. I wanted min drop springs but when you add it all up this was cheaper and easier even if I want to swap springs down the line if these were too low but these aren’t harsh and I make it over bumps so win win.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
People’s definition of “bounce” varies.

If you’re referring to high(er) speed bounce much like the airy feeling when jumping in a kid’s bounce house, then yes get good shocks. Your OEM PP shocks are terrible anyhow.

If you’re referring to more than one “aftershock” when hitting a bump, then also get better shocks.

If you’re referring to fast undulations and the car is seemingly bouncing, but is simply following the road’s contours, this is just how cars ride with stiffer springs. Good shocks obviously help, especially those that can adjust rebound to super soft, but stiff springs increase ride frequency which is more and more unpleasant the more stiff you get.

Shock mounts are more of a nuisance then they’re worth — good tires make a HUGE change for the better in ride, bounce, and performance.

OP
OP
Boddie

Boddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you’re referring to high(er) speed bounce much like the airy feeling when jumping in a kid’s bounce house, then yes get good shocks. Your OEM PP shocks are terrible anyhow.

If you’re referring to more than one “aftershock” when hitting a bump, then also get better shocks.
Both of these but mostly the latter. There are lots of speed bumps where I live and it became very apparent after putting the springs on. I was firstly going to trim bump stops correctly, then was going to try shock mounts. From scouring the forums those seemed to be a good first step. If still present was considering just changing out rear shocks. After suggestions may start with FRPP Track ones. Still a bit worried about clearance on FRPP half shafts, so maybe someone has some input.

Shock mounts are more of a nuisance then they’re worth — good tires make a HUGE change for the better in ride, bounce, and performance.
As far as tires go, I have 285/35/19 Pilot Sport 4S tires all around. When I changed springs much lighter wheels and the lighter Steeda 2-piece rotors were also put on all around.

OP
OP
Boddie

Boddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve been running Ford performance track dampers for a week and love it. I got the track handling pack and don’t regret it. I wanted min drop springs but when you add it all up this was cheaper and easier even if I want to swap springs down the line if these were too low but these aren’t harsh and I make it over bumps so win win.
I highly considered the full Track package. My car is supercharged and the front end a little lower than normal, so I was a bit worried about a 1 inch drop. I had BMR minimum drops on my last non-pp GT and didn't have any issues. Since the Steeda ones drop even less in the front I chose those this time. I still have to address bump stops as suggested though. After I fix issues I can determine from there how to move forward.

Sponsored

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Both of these but mostly the latter. There are lots of speed bumps where I live and it became very apparent after putting the springs on.
Sounds like textbook worn or blown shocks (or far too much spring for the shock). My 16PP shocks grenaded at 8k miles...it would be no surprise.

Save your money on the shock mounts and go right for quality shocks instead. Trim the stops while you’re in there. 800lb/in rear springs is a sweet spot for this car; you shouldn’t have significant ride quality issues with the right dampers.

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
steeda rear shock mounts.

UglyMutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Pass on almost anything steeda these days. They used to be a great company who made well engineered products but I haven’t been impressed with anything they make for this car. Jacking rails that rust out in three years of summer use, stop the hop kit with miss matched and wrong hardware. Diff bushings claim zero NVH and hum like a bee.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
We appreciate your feedback, Matt & I want to apologize to you if you haven't experienced the same level of quality & service that our Steeda clients have been receiving for the last 30-years.

Our goal is to continue to get better day in & day out - I will pass your feedback on to our ELT.

Have a great night.

TJ
Sponsored

Last edited: