Sponsored

Sudden loss of Power, No Throttle Response, **See Manual**??

DeepImpactS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I was on the way home from work tonight when weirdness ensued. I had shifted into 2nd gear (manual trans) a bit low, at about 1800RPM. I rolled on the throttle, then suddenly the car bucked as-if I had let off the gas, then quickly blipped it. It then started sputtering and spitting, running rough like it had a multiple misfire. There was no response to the gas pedal, and RPM stayed at about 2500, regardless of pedal position. I looked at the dash, and saw a wrench icon, and [See Manual] displayed, with no other info.

I pulled into a turn lane, put it into neutral, stopped, and shut the engine off. I had to press the start/stop button twice to get the engine to stop. When I restarted the engine, it took 10-12 rotations before it started. I actually thought it wasn't going to start. Afterward it seemed to run OK. It was maybe down a bit on power, but by the time I got home the power was coming back.

There are no check engine lights, and I doubt I'll find anything in the manual, as suggested. Any ideas?
Sponsored

kodypiccirilli

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kody
Vehicle(s)
2015 Twin Turbo Mustang V6
Had a similar issue with the auto trans, didnt really have a loss of power though. I had throttle response issues, cranking issue, and see manual "wrench" icon. Left the car off for ~20 minutes, then started back up and the light was off. Have not had this issue since. Not sure what the problem was though...

boosted4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I guarantee it's a defective throttle body, been having issues with these for awhile.

myjaja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0
100% bad throttle body. Same happened to mine multiple times. Mine got stuck closed so I replaced it with a bbk throttle body and never had an issue since.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if my throttle baby is going bad too? Since I got my ford performance stage 1 tune, when I'm rolling through the gears at about 5k rpm's in third car lost power and puttered for a second but this only happens in 3rd gear and not all the time, very weird... No idiot light either

Sponsored

BE6Pony

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Procharged 15 V6 / Focus ST / 14 Fiesta S
Had the same exact problem and I would either drive it out or stop and turn it off after 10 min and it fixed itself.. never thought about changing the TB all the things I thought but it makes sense. I thought mine was a bad connection at first with my soldered 02 sensors then I replaced them with stock and BBK extensions and still happens not as often but does at lower RPM

x550ciLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 6MT
Been to the dealer multiple times for this issue. Can confirm it was the throttle body.

OP
OP
DeepImpactS550

DeepImpactS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Thanks for the replies. What would it take to convince the dealer to replace the Throttle Body?

It's already going to the dealer tomorrow for THIS. I wonder if I can convince them to replace the TB at the same time.
IMAG0389.jpg
Gallery$IMAG03881.jpg

ranger56528

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Race Red. Black 95 GTS. 98 Red base v6.
Very interesting seeing the glass separate like that,back to throttle issue. I have yet to experience this issue so maybe its time to think about a BBK 73mm TB Hmmmmmmm.

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Happened to me. Brought to dealer, they read the codes and confirmed it was a bad throttle body.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DeepImpactS550

DeepImpactS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Happened to me. Brought to dealer, they read the codes and confirmed it was a bad throttle body.
Did you have an actual CEL on, or was it a hidden code?

OP
OP
DeepImpactS550

DeepImpactS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Very interesting seeing the glass separate like that,back to throttle issue. I have yet to experience this issue so maybe its time to think about a BBK 73mm TB Hmmmmmmm.
Other than the obvious increase in reliability, I have read that a TB doesn't do much without supporting mods. Could I expect an SOTP power increase with one, having only axle-backs?

EDIT: looks like about 5hp and 8tq max gains, but about a 20lb. Ft peak over the curve, mostly at low/mid rpm, where these engines need it. Definitely a consideration.

Rocketboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush RS Magnetic Metallic
How many miles have you guys have on your rides when the issue became present? I just hit 30,000 and no issues yet (knock on wood) with the stock TB.
Thanks
Sponsored