Sponsored

Success in orange peel reduction or removal?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Looking at a new R. Pretty much on board to buy it and the sales guy is sending me the detailed pictures I asked for - noticing some pretty solid orange peel. A little more than the typical expected amount..I mean, to me, a very minor orange peel makes it look OEM, IMO. Have you guys that received cars with heavy orange peel been able to reduce it?
20200928_164846.jpg
Sponsored

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
A lot of people buy these and do an immediate paint correction. Your best bet is to have someone look at it in person and give you a professional opinion. It's an awesome car. Don't let something that small steer you away from buying this car.

Unclenard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
The problem is you saw it and now you can't un-see it. But if you love the car and want it then are you willing to either put in the work or money to make it perfect if that is what you are wanting.

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
Hard to tell how bad it is from that picture, but if it's bothering you that much, you might have to wet sand the car.

Sponsored

FatPat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
It's a common misconception that the paint comes from the factory in perfect condition. This should easily clean up in the hands of a capable detailer. Get it polished, then put a good ceramic coat on there (or clear film if you want a higher level of protection)

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
You can find decontaminaters anywhere like Iron X, then wash then claybar. That will get rid of the orange peel.

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
This would be my 2nd R. My white one was...pretty good but then it was white, so it hid a lot of issues and generally always looked good ;). The darker metallic silver seems to show it some more.

I know the cars are great - I really miss mine. Just being reminded of why the price is what it is compared to a GT3 for example. Still wonder why Hyundai has better panel alignment ;)

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
You can find decontaminaters anywhere like Iron X, then wash then claybar. That will get rid of the orange peel.
I wish that was true.

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
Sorry but this ain't happening. Wet sanding is the only way to get rid of orange peel and then you run the risk of a factory clearcoat that isn't thick enough to allow for that.

Sponsored

Bluevoodue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby
OEM clear coat is very thin less the a thickness of a dollar bill on a white car orange Peel is less noticeable - Have a good paint correction Shop look at it and they will make recommendations on what they can do ,One thing to remember as you polish over the years you are removing small amounts of clear coat . If you do paint correction followed by PPF is the best way to protect your car and investment

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Sorry, meant that if you want the impurities out of it then decontaminate. If you want a smooth finish then yes, polishing will do it.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Looking at a new R. Pretty much on board to buy it and the sales guy is sending me the detailed pictures I asked for - noticing some pretty solid orange peel. A little more than the typical expected amount..I mean, to me, a very minor orange peel makes it look OEM, IMO. Have you guys that received cars with heavy orange peel been able to reduce it?
20200928_164846.jpg
Not an expert on this but from a friend of mine says that PPF will get rid of orange peel. I have PPF on my car and don't really notice the orange peel :)

Bluevoodue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby
i know everyone loves Xpel but the best PPF I have tested healing properties and seen for clarity Is Premium shield Elite I have had it on my 2016 Shelby for 4years and people can’t see it protects very well
Sponsored