Sponsored

Subtle cat back: Magnaflow street VS FP by Borla touring?

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LB Ecoboost 6mt pony pack vert, 06 EB Explorer
Tired of the kitchen blender sound and tacked on exhaust tip look of the stock exhaust so want to install a relatively quiet catback but torn between these two and no opportunity to listen in person.

From videos (on decent sound systems) it seems the magna flow has more of a refined sound similar to stock but deeper and with lots of turbo blow off and a muted crackle. Not crazy about the big tips that taper in quickly, reminds me of those old suped up Honda exhausts.
The Ford Performance by Borla seems like more of a raspy unrefined tone then stock with lots of crackle but less turbo blowoff. I think the slightly smaller but deeper width tip design looks perfect though, more muscle car imho.

I mainly don't want it to seem too ricey as I'm often meeting clients in the car and want to seem somewhat like an adult lol. The big magna flow tips look ricey to me but the FP by borla tone sounds a little more ricey to me. But this is just based on looking online so maybe I'm wrong.

Curious what peoples first hand impressions with either? Mf is 200 cheaper but they are still both such a big investment...
Sponsored

Last edited:

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
I’ve heard every exhaust set up imaginable over the years and Magnaflow has always been at the top for me. The Streets has great tone and volume without being overbearing or obnoxious. The Borla is a good kit too, no doubt, but the Magnaflow has a deeper pitch to it (IMO).

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I went through this whole process and selected the Magnaflow Street and love it. The tips definitely do not look gaudy. I'm old and think they look perfect in there. I was a little worried about it too when I heard the size but they actually fill the space nicely.

OP
OP
justme97

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice feedback. The MF tips seem big in pictures but I figured that might be something that looks more subtle in person..

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I've been perfectly happy with my MF Street Catback exhaust.

Sponsored

OP
OP
justme97

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My attorney was just showing me his '07 stock Shelby and the exhaust tips look just like the FP/borla system's tips. They were beautiful, FP (Ford Racing back then) must still use the design. Now to look out for the magnaflow tips!

RickA1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricardo
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost premium 2019
Love my Magnaflow. Watch Amazon. Price goes up and down. Got it for $835 a month ago.

Tips are big but don't look out of place IMO.

OP
OP
justme97

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Love my Magnaflow. Watch Amazon. Price goes up and down. Got it for $835 a month ago.

Tips are big but don't look out of place IMO.
835?? wow! Great tip! it seemed like all the websites had it for 1125.

Elgyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost, MT, DIB, Premium, PP
I have the FP borla mufflers sound really good. No rasp and deeper tone than stock but don't expect to get much power with them. Very restrictive. They neck down to about 1.25 at the end of the muffler then open up tp 3" at the tip. I think the stock mufflers flow better. Good for stock tune not much else

Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Oh, 1 thing I forgot to mention. This isn't because of the part obviously but I got the chrome tip Magnaflow and they are constantly covered in black, impossible to keep clean. Just telling you because if it were available when I bought mine and I had known, I'd have gotten the black tips.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
I gather your looking for something quiet and dignified since you meet with clients. I’d suggest looking for a quality exhaust shop and having it custom made, its often cheaper than buying an “exhaust-in-a-box”. On the quiet side I’ve been impressed with the 350z exhaust set up they make good power and are surprisingly quiet.

MagnaFlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550
From videos (on decent sound systems) it seems the magna flow has more of a refined sound similar to stock but deeper and with lots of turbo blow off and a muted crackle.
We agree with your description 100%. We would recommend checking out your local Mustang meet or cars & coffee and there's bound to be someone running our kit that you can see/hear in person. If there are any questions that we can answer about it, please don't hesitate to send us a PM or call at 1-800-990-0905! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
justme97

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ended up ordering the Magnaflow. Better price, proven (on here), and the comment about the FP system possibly being restrictive scared me off since I already have the fp tune. Excited to get it installed while I still have a little top down weather to hear it better with! Thanks everyone for the input.

Mscratch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Tired of the kitchen blender sound and tacked on exhaust tip look of the stock exhaust so want to install a relatively quiet catback but torn between these two and no opportunity to listen in person.

From videos (on decent sound systems) it seems the magna flow has more of a refined sound similar to stock but deeper and with lots of turbo blow off and a muted crackle. Not crazy about the big tips that taper in quickly, reminds me of those old suped up Honda exhausts.
The Ford Performance by Borla seems like more of a raspy unrefined tone then stock with lots of crackle but less turbo blowoff. I think the slightly smaller but deeper width tip design looks perfect though, more muscle car imho.

I mainly don't want it to seem too ricey as I'm often meeting clients in the car and want to seem somewhat like an adult lol. The big magna flow tips look ricey to me but the FP by borla tone sounds a little more ricey to me. But this is just based on looking online so maybe I'm wrong.

Curious what peoples first hand impressions with either? Mf is 200 cheaper but they are still both such a big investment...
Very happy with my Magnaflow Street exhaust.....
Sponsored