Sponsored

Stupid question: Indicated NA vacuum at WOT

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Can anyone with an NA coyote tell me what their vacuum gauge reads at wot? Right at 0 or how much below?
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
It should read slightly above zero.

OP
OP

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
It should read slightly above zero.
I think zero is engine off (atmospheric pressure), so it should read slightly below I would think. Just curious how much below. Might drop as the engine revs up…

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Vacuum/pressure is zero at WOT during NA operation.

OP
OP

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Vacuum/pressure is zero at WOT during NA operation.
Seems like it should be.

but the cylinders are drawing in air so creating a vacuum in the intake system, so it has to be something under ambient pressure. I’m guessing that a larger draw and more restrictive intake tract (and maybe higher rpm) would cause an even higher vacuum, which is the main reason I’m asking. You’d think a large diameter intake/filter/manifold plenum cross-section would show less restriction by greater (but still under atmospheric) pressure.

im curious if anybody with an n/a coyote has paid attention to their vacuum gauge at WOT and remembers the reading…how far below zero.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Seems like it should be.

but the cylinders are drawing in air so creating a vacuum in the intake system, so it has to be something under ambient pressure. I’m guessing that a larger draw and more restrictive intake tract (and maybe higher rpm) would cause an even higher vacuum, which is the main reason I’m asking. You’d think a large diameter intake/filter/manifold plenum cross-section would show less restriction by greater (but still under atmospheric) pressure.

im curious if anybody with an n/a coyote has paid attention to their vacuum gauge at WOT and remembers the reading…how far below zero.
As far as I know, vacuum is higher when there's more restriction, like at idle. WOT with everything opened up is close to atmospheric, so near 0 vacuum.

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT

~ 1inHg or 0.5PSI near 1750ft elevation.

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 401A
Seems like it should be.

The digital dash reads as low as 0.8 inHG during full throttle and the gauge sits *just* above 0 on mine.

Sponsored

NASteve

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
On a N/A application anything above 0 means there is a restriction somewhere in the system.

There is a trick to determine if you have a restriction and it works for EFI and carbs, just plumb a vacuum hose into the manifold off one of the ports, run the hose to a gauge tapped to the windshield and then do a WOT pull, if it reads 0 then you are good, if not then you have a restriction somewhere. It seems ghetto, but it is the simplest form of testing, also helps determine if you gauge is accurate.

It should never read less than 0 since during a WOT pull the because atmospheric pressure and manifold pressure should be equal. BTW there is no such thing as vacuum, just pressure less than atmospheric.

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
.7 psi at WOT. 900ft asl.

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
I've got a few in car video shots of the vacumm gauge from my 2018 Gen3, Not sure how accurate it was but it read approx, 5in vac WOT in every vid I looked at.

20181110122709(1).jpg

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
The closer to 0 the better. Anything above that means you have some sort of restriction.

But...only the very best setup N/A engines will get near (or slightly below) 0. A stock mass produced engine won't be getting near 0.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
A stock mass produced engine won't be getting near 0.
Maybe a 70's / 80's V8 won't, or any low compression engine for that matter.
My 575 hp 440 magnum never seen over 90% VE with 9.5:1 cr. WHen we bumped it up to 13.5:1 and it made 606 it was 100-101% VE.
Sponsored