Sponsored

[Locked due to politics] Student debt cancelation. Seems there are strong opinions against it from some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
Where’s my check? I didn’t go to college, I went to the military then to work. I mean if we’re gonna have a free loading society I want my share of free loading!
Sponsored

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
I got one of those checks, and guess where it went? To pay my taxes. Ain't that a bitch. Went in my left hand to my right and right back to the Government. Didn't stop at go or collect 200 dollars.
Exact same here. We got our stimulus check, and what do you know, it was just about exactly what we owed. Deposited and filed taxes within 24 hours. I don't think I even earned any interest off it!

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
Just saying, if anyone looks to join the military for free college and they are reading this, the college isn't free per-say. You work ridiculous hours, suffer mental and physical hardships, and get treated like ass. Now on the flip side if you do choose military. Go Air Force. You'll have an awesome quality of life compared to Navy, Marines, and Army.

What branch were/are you in?
You do work long hours but are compensated decently well when you look at the overall with healthcare/housing/ and then your base pay. Your GI Bill and your pay are two separate entities and shouldn't be lumped together as you eluded to with the "hours and mental hardships".

An E-1 is making 24 grand base pay then add in that he is getting free housing, meals and healthcare. that 24 grand is free for him to do anything he wants with. I would argue our military compensation is pretty well rounded.

I have been fortunate enough to serve in enlisted in the Marines got out used my GI bill earned a bachelors and commissioned in the Army. Plan is to finish out my 20 and retire.

I have seen the argument about working at Home depot VS military and again the GI Bill isnt "free" you contribute 1200 to the fund. Many business are using a similar model. I believe Starbucks has a very good path that has almost no cost to the students.

As it has been said before there is not just a singular way to get a degree and be in massive debt. there are a multitude of different ways to get the finish line with little to no debt. It is all in the hands of the individual person.

UnsatOFGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Have to admit, i wouldnt care to be a gate guard in the really cold places during winter.

Thankfully i will never be doing that. Lol
Transferring soon. I was in Washington and being attached to a ship meant I stood gate at the pier lol. So it was brutal in the winter but we had heaters and such. I mainly liked the schedule so I didn't really complain.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
No college, no college debt. Find a trade or open a business.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
It is really simple it's a loan, so what is the excuse of an owner of same for not repaying their debt ?

Considering that many use the money to party, pay rent and all the other non education purposed nonsense.

Not selfish at all to require or expect monies lent to be repaid. For a fact it is more selfish not to expect that to be done.

In a word RESPONSIBILITY , want to be a grown up pay your figging bills.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Where’s my check? I didn’t go to college, I went to the military then to work. I mean if we’re gonna have a free loading society I want my share of free loading!
You gotta cash in on that GI Bill :)

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
It is really simple it's a loan, so what is the excuse of an owner of same for not repaying their debt ?

Considering that many use the money to party, pay rent and all the other non education purposed nonsense.

Not selfish at all to require or expect monies lent to be repaid. For a fact it is more selfish not to expect that to be done.

In a word RESPONSIBILITY , want to be a grown up pay your figging bills.
Your post actually made me think of something else. A lot of these colleges are misinforming students as well though. I have several friends in college now that are under the impression they dont have to pay back large parts of their loans because they are under subsidies. so they get these larger then needed loan checks each month give their school their part then pocket the rest thinking its free. IM like no your gonna have to repay that. they tell me every time the schools telling them they don't. My one good friend she got out and owes 45k she was under the impression from the school that most of it was paid for by subsidies.. I tried to tell her she was gonna have to pay it back. But see thats part of the problem these schools are telling people all kinds of stuff to get that check because they know that all the loans are federally protected and you have zero recourse if they screw you

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I think it would be nice, but I will believe it when I see it. Student debt is $1.6 trillion, no way that all of that money will magically vanish. The US Government has an extremely bad reputation when it comes to helping its citizens. COVID just shows how little they care. Student debt shouldn't even be mentioned when there are over 15 million children that go without food in this country, and that number has only skyrocketed because of COVID. Don't even get me started on the treatment of veterans and the skyrocketing suicidal rates.

Politicians are all bark and no bite. They say things like this just to get everyone all riled up and then just blame their colleagues for why their 'grand plan' never got done when they run for re-election. These people just talk and take no real action.

Last edited:

ford20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE On Order / 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca
Your post actually made me think of something else. A lot of these colleges are misinforming students as well though. I have several friends in college now that are under the impression they dont have to pay back large parts of their loans because they are under subsidies. so they get these larger then needed loan checks each month give their school their part then pocket the rest thinking its free. IM like no your gonna have to repay that. they tell me every time the schools telling them they don't. My one good friend she got out and owes 45k she was under the impression from the school that most of it was paid for by subsidies.. I tried to tell her she was gonna have to pay it back. But see thats part of the problem these schools are telling people all kinds of stuff to get that check because they know that all the loans are federally protected and you have zero recourse if they screw you
What does this have to do with student loan debt forgiveness? The problem here is with your friend not reading or understanding what her subsidies entailed before accepting them or reading a contract (which admittedly, can be daunting, tedious, complex, and intimidating) and the financial aid office either not explaining the situation correctly or not even at all, assuming that your friend didn't zone off during the discussion.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
What does this have to do with student loan debt forgiveness? The problem here is with your friend not reading or understanding what her subsidies entailed before accepting them or reading a contract (which admittedly, can be daunting, tedious, complex, and intimidating) and the financial aid office either not explaining the situation correctly or not even at all, assuming that your friend didn't zone off during the discussion.
well a bit actually. for one no ones talking forgiveness. n one is saying they are gonna pay off full loans. People will still be responsible for some of their loans. Point is schools should have to be up front and truthful. stop misleading students just to get the check. No everyone on this planet can read a contract and fully understand legal jargon. They depend on the financial aide to be truth full and upfront. I mean its really no different then sucking in old people in to a new roof or repaved driveway. I mean why should people who were very mislead still be liable for the loans?

This goes back to we should be aloowed to sue for poor education or being mislead about loans and repayment and then this stuff would stop but as of right now they can do whatever they want and you are stuck.

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So everyone here against government help and saying the government should not hand out tax payers money. That everyone should do it for themsleves.... how many mustang parts and tvs and what nots did you buy with that government handout stimulus check that came in your name? I mean did you return it cause you are against government hand outs? Yeah I think not.

If the government said tomorrow heres a check for 10k off your mortgage you would stand up and say no thank you take your check back? I think not.. people are only against the government helping with education if they aren't benefiting from it and dont want others too either.
This argument isn't even logical. This stimulus was for everyone not just for a select group. In other words, everyone got a piece of the action (for the most part) In your student debt scenario only students currently with debt would receive money.

Secondly, there's a huge difference between $1200 bucks and $30,000 - $200,000

MR YUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Convertible
Thanks for your reply. this is the dialog I'm simply trying to get started. People who can at least see the problem and say well lets look at both sides here. The A-holes I refer to in my title are the ones that are just all one sided don't want anyone else to have a chance in life and anytime help is extended are always screw people they need to just sink or swim. People need to be a little more open and sympathetic to others and I think you seem to be a well rounded individual who can at the very least acknowledge this.
I guess I'm one of the a-holes. If you sign up for a loan pay it back period. Now that being said, if someone can prove that they were defrauded by the company supplying the loan, well then that is a different story. Also, with the interest rates as low as they are now, I wouldn't have any problem with the ability to refinance the loan at a lower rate. But pay it back.

I would also agree that tuition and Healthcare is expensive. The problem is too many greedy people. The 💘 of 💰 is the root of all 😈. But I don't think that you can expect the government to fix it. Everything that they get involved with goes to hell and ends up costing even more and full of unnecessary bureaucracy. Name one government program that is efficiently run.

To all those who have served in the military, thank you for your service.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
This argument isn't even logical. This stimulus was for everyone not just for a select group. In other words, everyone got a piece of the action (for the most part) In your student debt scenario only students currently with debt would receive money.
How is it not logical you just said the same thing i just did. When everyone gets it no one complains. when only some are the ones who don't are complaining cause they are afraid someone is getting something they wont. Its not that they are ageist it by principal . they are only against it cause they aren't befitting from it. if they were they wouldn't complain any more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I would also agree that tuition and Healthcare is expensive. The problem is too many greedy people. The 💘 of 💰 is the root of all 😈. But I don't think that you can expect the government to fix it.
Why not expect the government to fix it they caused it buy giving the loans to over priced education to begin with. If they had not we wouldn't be in this mess now would we.

If the government would have stayed out, prices would be lower cause they would have to price things so people could actually afford it. the loans wouldn't be sky high and only people who could afford it would go. we wouldn't be in this mess so yes they caused it why not fix it.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.