Sponsored

Stud on turbo stripped

Smarz1018

ScubaSteve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Eco-boost
So this past week I installed my factory downpipe for inspection reasons, and upon re-installing the catless downpipe I accidentally stripped a small section of one of the 2 studs holding the downpipe to the turbo. It does not affect the connection because it is near the center of the stud. It looks like the studs should be replaceable but not sure how difficult of a job it is. Anyone here familiar with doing such a repair? Where can I find a part number for these studs?
Sponsored

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
Usually you can lock 2 nuts on the stud and back them out. I'm not sure if there is a better way on these. I don't remember how they look. But they are really easy to get to on these 2.3s. :thumbsup:

Edkiefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR4ti
So this past week I installed my factory downpipe for inspection reasons, and upon re-installing the catless downpipe I accidentally stripped a small section of one of the 2 studs holding the downpipe to the turbo. It does not affect the connection because it is near the center of the stud. It looks like the studs should be replaceable but not sure how difficult of a job it is. Anyone here familiar with doing such a repair? Where can I find a part number for these studs?
I don't know part#, but this is fairly common issue when repairing vehicles (any one).
Any "good" mechanic can hook you up easy, depending on how bad it is, most times it goes like this, heat area around the stud, use stud remover then install new stud.

While I have not done it on EB, they use standard hardware most times.
If you were able to pull it i bet you could find one to match at good parts store or dealer.

Edit:Ford online catalog doesn't have it as seperate part, but it is listed in cat section > Stud =HT1 >2.3L 4V TIVCT DI TC Gas ; M10 X 53MM + M10 X 15MM

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/C...d&mo=Mustang&initSearch=1&keyword=stud#Search
So that might help finding match

Last edited:

Elgyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost, MT, DIB, Premium, PP
NOOOOOOPE! you can't repair that. Your turbo is %^#'ed and you need to upgrade.. ..that would be my excuse to upgrade only to find out on further inspection and spending $$$$ that the old one is still good

JStang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ecoboost
For the stud: https://www.oemfordpart.com/oem-parts/ford-converter-stud-w705374s901
For the nut: https://www.oemfordpart.com/oem-parts/ford-front-pipe-nut-w714265s441

Same thing happened to me when switching my downpipe. The two nut method didn't work for me when trying to remove the stud. The threads on the stud just got jacked up even more. I needed to buy a stud extractor tool to get that thing off the turbo (https://www.amazon.com/Mayhew-Selec...&sr=8-1&keywords=mayhew+select+stud+extractor)

Also, if you need to remove the downpipe again in the future I HIGHLY recommend getting some PB Blaster and spraying the sh*t out of it. Wait a few minutes and spray it again. Made the job so much easier for me.

Sponsored

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
We are lucky enough to have very little rust down here. I didnt have any issues. That tool is awesome to have by the way. It'll pay for itself very easily. Good luck.

Banjo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP manual
Sweet, mine actually cross threaded and pulled out of the turbo when unbolting. I called the dealer and was told it was $50 in summer of 2015 so I went to Deep Homo and got a bolt but kept meaning to try and find the correct stud/nut so it didn't look like a hack job.

PICANTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 ecoboost pp
It's a regular automotive stud that can be found at any hardware store. It's m10, I messed mine up and bought a new one at autozone for 2 dollars. Came as a set of 4 I believe. I'd give you my extra ones if you weren't so far

OP
OP

Smarz1018

ScubaSteve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Eco-boost
Appreciate all the help and feedback! :cheers::cheers:

Smokybanddit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
S550 ecoboost
It's a regular automotive stud that can be found at any hardware store. It's m10, I messed mine up and bought a new one at autozone for 2 dollars. Came as a set of 4 I believe. I'd give you my extra ones if you weren't so far
Lolll thank god for forums I just need 1 so in my case the bolt was so hard to remove I used a breaker bar and what ended up happening the bolt got stuck and it just spun the whole stud out I ended up te threading the top of the stud and I managed to get the bolt off so I figured I would just drive the stud back in place with the new down pipe it was working until idk it just popped right out strange bc the other stud came out so easy I have the stud in my hand it has the bolt stuck onto it amd the back side is stripped so I might have to re thread the turbo side but m10 perfect I just seen them online