Sponsored

Stuck Active Exhaust Actuator (GT)

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Thanks for the pics and replies - sill would like to see a pic of the actuator with the metal twisty thing in place.
Sponsored

Geosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Thanks for the pics and replies - sill would like to see a pic of the actuator with the metal twisty thing in place.
You can see a pic here. It’s kinda small on my phone though.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-active-exhaust-install-guide.101913/

The side up in the pic with the green background would be the side that mates with the valve part on the exhaust. That curvy section in the middle fits right in the center of the circular valve piece, and the wire on each side will sit in the 2 opposing grooves.

D19F89DA-D022-4314-8C5A-20A5FB81953B.jpeg

E42C86AE-E042-4636-9042-692CEB57DF45.jpeg

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks - that helps

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
Or JR3Z-5K245-B. I’ve seen them in the $145 range when I was looking for them.
That's the old part number and is no longer stocked in any warehouse. There's 5 dealers in the entire country that have 1 left each.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If anyone is interested in a summary of the problem, I created a video for the dealership before I dropped it off. They have ordered me two new actuators, although I think I only needed one. Anyway here’s the link to the video:

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
At least it wasn't a valve, but surprised an actuator can fail so early. How many miles on the car? And no accidents or mods that could have affected the actuators?

Hey, may I ask how did you invoke a 'self test'? Curious about that. Thank you.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At least it wasn't a valve, but surprised an actuator can fail so early. How many miles on the car? And no accidents or mods that could have affected the actuators?

Hey, may I ask how did you invoke a 'self test'? Curious about that. Thank you.
It’s been failing since about 20k miles. No accidents or mods. Self test just happens every time I start the car. I always remote start, so maybe that’s it. I don’t really know if it does that when I start normally.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My car definitely does not do that, since you can clearly hear the 'clicks', and the exhaust tone changes. That's probably the bad actuator too, no? I thought you activated the self test thru the secret menu, or other such way. Let us know if when you start your car normally it does that 'test', out of curiosity. No remote start on manual cars, so can't check that myself. Thx.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Started the car normally this morning. It’s still did the self test. I’m guessing it’s because it is malfunctioning. It’s possible it’s because I have quiet start on. I’ll try again this afternoon. When quiet start isn’t on.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Started the car normally this morning. It’s still did the self test. I’m guessing it’s because it is malfunctioning. It’s possible it’s because I have quiet start on. I’ll try again this afternoon. When quiet start isn’t on.

Here is an idea try it, think about it? It's a self test, your words...

Sponsored

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
I've searched and searched, and I did find quite a bit of relevant information as to non-functioning active, caused by frayed wires (Which I myself have just replaced), on both Modified as well as stock vehicles.

After replacing the Pigtails myself, the active is still non-functioning, however, if you examine the tips while the car is off both are fully open (as expected), however upon starting of the vehicle the driverside closes and the passengers stays wide open, and shortly there after you receive the "Exhaust mode Selection is Unavailable".

I've attempted to "poke" the Driver/Passengers side and the driverside does show movement, where as the passenger is rock solid in its place.

I think it's safe to assume that my Passenger side actuator is stuck, I'm curious if anyone has ever fixed a stuck actuator or even attempted to disassemble it to reset the spring?

I WOULD take it to Ford, however they've already made it clear that they will not be covering this exhaust work under warranty.
Maybe there is debris stock around the actuator butterfly? Or possibly an electrical issue. Check the wiring connections.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Finally got this repaired under warranty. Both actuators replaced - works now. No more “self test”, so obviously that only occurs when there is a problem.

Stangygt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang gt pp1
I'm interested in the "I WOULD take it to Ford, however they've already made it clear that they will not be covering this exhaust work under warranty."

Did they explain why they won't be covering a defective part that is under warranty?
If it’s past 60k factory warranty it’s not covered under extended warranty !
Sponsored