Strut brace that will fit top mount super charger

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Hey folks.... New member, and first post in the forum. Also sorry to resurrect an old thread, but there is limited info out there on this topic, and this is probably the best thread online to address it.

When I bought my current car ('21 6spd PP GT) and was doing my Roushifying research, this was a question that consumed me. I had a 2017 non PP car previously with 20" factory wheels. In that configuration, you got the lower K brace, but not the strut brace. I added the strut brace to that car, and it in fact makes a very noticeable difference if you like to toss the car around a lot.

That being said, if I was going to bolt a supercharger to the new car and push it past 750HP, I didn't want to give up any handling or stiffness. The Ford dealer that did my car, has kept the brace on all of their builds by simply using spacers under the brace. It is very tight, but it does in fact work. The hood liner can also stay on the car as well. In fact a nice side effect it, it pretty much completely reduces hood flutter, and the brace makes enough contact with the hood liner to keep it very stiff. There is also just barely enough thread left on the bolts on the drivers side to make this work as well.

Anyway, I am pretty sure this is a common question for people looking at the Roush kits, and I have used this forum a lot over the years as a lurker to answer a lot questions I've had with my cars, so I felt I'd give a little back to help anyone else with this issue. Attached is a pic of the brace, and of course the required garage shot. Up here our Mustangs are in hibernation until May.

brace.jpg
in garage.jpg
Cheers from Canada.
Sometimes the best solutions are the simple, inelegant ones. ...and it cuts down on hood flutter, to boot!

I wound up putting down $230 plus shipping from Germany for a brace that fit over my Roush 2.3 SC. It never occurred to me to take your approach. Here is the first one I bought. I since replaced it with one with a matte black finish and put this aluminum finished one up for sale.

Thanks for posting this!

89D43B9D-9884-49C8-AD45-B33A6CA1A972.JPG
I
Sponsored

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
I still have my strut tower brace off of my 2019 PP2 that I am giving away. Local pick up only (South Bay Area, Ca.) if you can use it. Please PM me.

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
My stock strut tower fits after the dealer installed an engine lowering kit.

SH!FT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium 6MT VB
The Ford dealer that did my car, has kept the brace on all of their builds by simply using spacers under the brace. It is very tight, but it does in fact work. The hood liner can also stay on the car as well. In fact a nice side effect it, it pretty much completely reduces hood flutter, and the brace makes enough contact with the hood liner to keep it very stiff. There is also just barely enough thread left on the bolts on the drivers side to make this work as well.

brace.jpg
Awesome post Trevor!
  • Am I correct by saying that the top of the factory nut is now flush with the top of the driver side studs?
  • Did the dealer have a solid spacer for each stud or just stack some washers?

1650859367005.png

It would be super helpfully if you could post a picture from this angle to show the spacer(s).
1650859834136.png

Thanks!

Sponsored

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
If you're trying to determine how much room you have between the supercharger and your hood here's an old school trick.
Loosely crumple a ball of tin foil and place it on top of the SC then close the hood all the way. When you open the hood the foil ball will be as thick as the gap between hood and SC.
We used to do that to figure out how tall the air cleaner would be on our old rides.

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Roush Phase 2 kit on my 2019 GT and was successful at placing the strut tower brace in place with no bolts secured and it fit and I was able to close the hood. This tells me there is enough clearance but it was minimal at best. you will need 1/2~3/4 inch spacer under the brace.
It would just be a matter of finding the perfect spacer size.
I know you will have at least 1/4 inch over the blower and 1/4 inch under the hood.
Maybe add a rubber pad between the hood and brace?
Did you finish the project and did it work? I'm going to give it a shot today.

imxz28

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clark
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, 2021 Tacoma Sport
I did not finish the project. Sold my Mustang and have a 2023 z06 on order. If GM ever decides to release the darn thing. It's been a rollercoaster.

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
I did not finish the project. Sold my Mustang and have a 2023 z06 on order. If GM ever decides to release the darn thing. It's been a rollercoaster.
You paying 100k over MSRP?

imxz28

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clark
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, 2021 Tacoma Sport
$100k over MSRP is insane. Lucky for me I placed a deposit for a Z06 in Feb of 2020. Should be at straight up MSRP

Sponsored

rjoseph1960

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Convertible GT
Awesome post Trevor!
  • Am I correct by saying that the top of the factory nut is now flush with the top of the driver side studs?
  • Did the dealer have a solid spacer for each stud or just stack some washers?

1650859367005.png

It would be super helpfully if you could post a picture from this angle to show the spacer(s).
1650859834136.png

Thanks!
After reading your post, I installed 4 Spacer under the Cross Brace, and my mounting nut are now flush with the top of the stud. I added a few drops of Red TherdLocker, just to make sure it won't come loose. Now the brace clears the supercharger.
The only part of adding the Roush Supercharger I did not like, was leaving the Cross Brace off.
Thank you for your Post.
Bob Joseph

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
My dealer lowered my engine to get the strut brace to fit.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The issue isn't getting to clear the blower. That's easy. It's getting enough space between the blower and the hood so that you don't have rubbing or rattling contact. Which is ostensibly why the GT500 brace goes around the blower and behind it. After installing my whipple, I realized why the issue isn't all that big of a deal. The triangle brace bolts to the back of the engine bay and stiffens the towers already. While it has some miniscule amount of natural elasticity, the towers would have to move well beyond that, to the point of permanently bending them for the driver to notice any appreciable suspension differences (beyond placebo).

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
Hey folks.... New member, and first post in the forum. Also sorry to resurrect an old thread, but there is limited info out there on this topic, and this is probably the best thread online to address it.

When I bought my current car ('21 6spd PP GT) and was doing my Roushifying research, this was a question that consumed me. I had a 2017 non PP car previously with 20" factory wheels. In that configuration, you got the lower K brace, but not the strut brace. I added the strut brace to that car, and it in fact makes a very noticeable difference if you like to toss the car around a lot.

That being said, if I was going to bolt a supercharger to the new car and push it past 750HP, I didn't want to give up any handling or stiffness. The Ford dealer that did my car, has kept the brace on all of their builds by simply using spacers under the brace. It is very tight, but it does in fact work. The hood liner can also stay on the car as well. In fact a nice side effect it, it pretty much completely reduces hood flutter, and the brace makes enough contact with the hood liner to keep it very stiff. There is also just barely enough thread left on the bolts on the drivers side to make this work as well.

Anyway, I am pretty sure this is a common question for people looking at the Roush kits, and I have used this forum a lot over the years as a lurker to answer a lot questions I've had with my cars, so I felt I'd give a little back to help anyone else with this issue. Attached is a pic of the brace, and of course the required garage shot. Up here our Mustangs are in hibernation until May.

brace.jpg
in garage.jpg
Cheers from Canada.
Hi, thanks for the great information. What size are the spacers under the brace? I am in same situation w my 21 GT w roush blower and would love to retain the upper brace.
Thanks Anthony

Last edited:

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I went the expensive route and bought a strut bar from a German shop that makes them for supercharged applications and stock hoods from what I can observe. Their website is in German, but Google translate does a great job of translating it to English. Looks like they have strut towers for the 2018 models, mines is a 2017. I got mine through the forums from Schropp Tuning @N/Angel. website to them is here: (https://www.schropp-tuningshop.com/cat/index/sCategory/525980). There is also another guy from the Carbon Fiber Addicts Anonymous Thread who did it too:

Here's mines, but I do like that GT500 brace though:

48690977812_5ecfc31f49_b.jpg

48690965102_a878980d8d_b.jpg

48690456498_eb6e836af7_b.jpg

48690810211_a8e28a88d8_b.jpg

48690456058_4e4a7963a5_b.jpg

48690977742_32da5a6a75_b.jpg
Can you please tell me who to contact for one of these. Thank you
Sponsored