Sponsored

Struggling... Upgrade my 2016 Tech Pack to Track car, or sell/trade and buy 2016 Track Pack or 2017 or newer model

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R / 2021 Shelby GT500
Dude save yourself $3k and just get the cooler and external pump and call it a day.
You have my attention, but I am confused. How does one make the FP trans cooler kit work with the 2016 base transmission - that does not have the plumbing / ports that were designed into the track / R transmission?

I will be having a Ford master tech do the work; he's worked on my other car and is the resident Mustang expert at the my local Ford dealership. I don't want to send him on a goose chase.
Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
You have my attention, but I am confused. How does one make the FP trans cooler kit work with the 2016 base transmission - that does not have the plumbing / ports that were designed into the track / R transmission?

I will be having a Ford master tech do the work; he's worked on my other car and is the resident Mustang expert at the my local Ford dealership. I don't want to send him on a goose chase.
Scan through these:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/search/552614/?q=Add+pump&o=date

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
right. I confirmed with Ford Performance that the track / R tranny comes with the pump - and they price is $1,999. Very reasonably priced.

Just so on the fence on build v. buy in order to have a trackable GT350. Want to get it done sooner than later.
Thats a good price. I got in early and mine was 2500 with no core. Sold my original trans for a grand. I then took the car to Full Tilt Boogie racing in Milwaukee where they installed their rear Dif cooler and I had a 16 Track/Tech pack :)

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
here's the math on the track pack upgrade for my 2016 tech pack GT350. The transmission (with pump) and trans cooler kit and Ford Performance; the diff cooler is Full Tilt Boogie Racing.

2016 GT350
Track Pack Upgrade
Transmission, including pump$ 1,999.99
Transmission Cooler$ 710.00
Differential Cooler$ 1,120.00
Subtotal$ 3,829.99
Sales Tax (6.75%)$ 258.52
ShippingTBD
Total Cost of Parts$ 4,088.51
Labor (Ford dealer - quoted)$ 1,620.00
Total Cost$ 5,708.51

Sponsored

milner_7

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.highdefinitionautodetail.ca
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Well you save the cost on the transmission, tax labor etc. The transmission is not going to install itself

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Well you save the cost on the transmission, tax labor etc. The transmission is not going to install itself
Agreed but, it If you assume he is not working an the trans replacement he probably wont install the pump and the associated lines. Not sure if there is a core (for mine there wasn't) and if you can recoup some of the purchase. When I did mine, it was the same cost to replace the trans as adding an external pump. I did not like the idea of loosing my fill port to the lines

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Man, I think this is just opening a bigger can of worms than you need.... Why bother with the headache of doing plumbing for coolers, upgrade transmissions...

Just sell the car, and get a track pack or an R. I would not shy away from 10k + mileage ones if in good nick, they are good solid cars... you will lose more money this way for sure ... but heck, it's only money.

Just my 2 cents.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
^ This (and what @honeybadger said earlier).
I’ll just add that if you own the Tech outright, no payments, don’t take a bath going with a track pack or R.

The R is nice if you can exploit its capabilities but at a certain level, all GT350s provide a similar experience if properly cooled.

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I'm inclined with the above. I'd grab an R or a track pack. Even if you drop the cooler in, you'll still have a diff without a cooler. And since you're planning to pay someone else to do the work, this all gets super expensive. I'd still recommend picking up an R and just running with that. I think the non-R's are a better fit for those that want to build, but doing that by paying someone else will cost so much.

The R is just better setup from the factory and requires less fiddling.

Jbraun2828

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350
Obviously the R would be the best option but also the most expensive. Your going to need another 20k after you sell your car. That makes the $5,700 to upgrade your current car not sound so bad. Having said that, I would look for a 2017 or newer car that was built right from the factory. You can buy all the parts you want but it’s usually cheaper to just buy the car built the way you want it.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Obviously the R would be the best option but also the most expensive. Your going to need another 20k after you sell your car. That makes the $5,700 to upgrade your current car not sound so bad. Having said that, I would look for a 2017 or newer car that was built right from the factory. You can buy all the parts you want but it’s usually cheaper to just buy the car built the way you want it.
One note, you'll get the value back when you sell the R...you won't with a standard GT350 you modified.

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
This seems to be the consensus from the members and is the path I am going down. Good news - I have some viable options. Thanks for all of the input.

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
Save yourself the hassle with the mods. Bite the bullet. Buy and R (or two). Lately, R prices are up. Fortunate for those who already own. Not so fortunate for those who don't. Look at it this way...R values will continue to rise.
Sponsored