Sponsored

Stripped license plate hole, easy fix

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
Today I went to put my license plate back on and one of the screws kept turning.
I could not reach up far enough to hold a nut on the back.
So I used a plastic wall anchor, a #10 I think but don't hold me to it.
Just slipped it in the existing hole, with some small resistance it tapped in and it holds well.
Took the screw out to check and it still held, if it doesn't in the future it's easy to replace.

If anyone is aware of a Ford replacement let me know.
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
OP
OP
19gtaz

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Threaded insert with a larger washer on the backside of the bumper. You’ll just end up using a different type of screw, but this would be better than thry come from the factory. Here’s a link to the tool you’ll need.

https://www.harborfreight.com/45-pi...MImPyPopDQ9QIVg5qGCh1ZXAB8EAQYASABEgK7ZfD_BwE
That's exactly what I was going to use at first but I couldn't find my nut-sert tool.
I think the wall anchor will work fine without drilling a larger hole though.

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
I still can't believe Ford just drilled a couple holes in the plastic for the license plate. Grrr.

I did similar, but with those plastic automotive push pins you can buy in bulk. I had a type that happened to be just the right size as the tag screws, so that you could screw them in and have the tabs/wings at the end flare out like they would normally. I used the threaded halves and pressed them into place in the bumper, then fastened the tag—they've held tight for well over a year. Plus a rear-ending, if that's any measure. đŸ˜„

OP
OP
19gtaz

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I still can't believe Ford just drilled a couple holes in the plastic for the license plate. Grrr.

I did similar, but with those plastic automotive push pins you can buy in bulk. I had a type that happened to be just the right size as the tag screws, so that you could screw them in and have the tabs/wings at the end flare out like they would normally. I used the threaded halves and pressed them into place in the bumper, then fastened the tag—they've held tight for well over a year. Plus a rear-ending, if that's any measure. đŸ˜„
You mean the kind like the 3 that hold the battery cover down?

Sponsored

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
You mean the kind like the 3 that hold the battery cover down?
Kinda. they were square, white plastic nuts. Similar to what was on the Fiesta I had before I got the mustang—where the idea came from. They're much stouter than the battery cover clips.

OP
OP
19gtaz

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kinda. they were square, white plastic nuts. Similar to what was on the Fiesta I had before I got the mustang—where the idea came from. They're much stouter than the battery cover clips.
So did you have to square out the hole?

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
So did you have to square out the hole?
No, god no. If I recall right, the shaft (arms?) were round. The actual face of it was square to fit into a square hole/divot.

#1ford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt premium convertble antimatter blue
Vehicle Showcase
Fill your hole with JBL ! They have a 15 minute quick set. Use some masking around the hole tape
Sponsored