street to track pads

Nodster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I also often keep the DS 1.11 on after a track day if I have another track day planned in a few weeks and don't want to spend the time changing them back and forth. They squeak a little, but I suspect that's mostly because I don't bother to re-lubricate with anti-squak on the track pads, while I do that now and then on the DS 2500 pads. If someone asks why my car squeaks like some old not maintained car, I just tell them "still running with the track pads, you see." Everyone nods suitably impressed, I'm sure.
Even though Ferodo say that the pads must not, under any circumstances, be used on public roads. :lipssealed: As Spain is in the EU then the pads need to be R90 approved (guessing track pads are a no no due to optimum operating temps or pedal modulation and feedback). If you had an accident you would no doubt invalidate your insurance. Not really worth the risk for the time it takes to swap out the pads in these Brembo calipers. Just saying. :thumbsup:
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
f you had an accident you would no doubt invalidate your insurance.
what accident inspector pulls the pads from the caliper to examine them? Do they mic the rotors too? Wipe for contaminants? carbon-date your brake fluid? You can't be serious.

Nodster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
what accident inspector pulls the pads from the caliper to examine them? Do they mic the rotors too? Wipe for contaminants? carbon-date your brake fluid? You can't be serious.
Most likely a cultural thing. In UK you have to MOT your car each year, brakes form part of that check. And if you were to have a bump, and let's say there was evidence to suggest you could have stopped by the traffic cops, they could inspect the brakes perhaps looking for a mechanical defect and guess what, they'd check the pads. Insurance companies will use any reason not to pay out. As I say, US might be different / less stringent. Totally not worth the risk in my opinion. So yes I am serious. Manufacturers must just put this stuff on their websites for the fun of it.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Woah! .... couldn't see in the video but do they bleed the brakes too in the pit or do the cars have a way of getting air out or preventing air from entering??
There are QD's on everything and everything has already been pre-fit and bled. The only extra thing that might need to happen is to add brake fluid to the reservoir, but if you size the reservoir correctly, you don't even have to do that.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Is it even useful to keep changing the rear pads for not-so-advanced drivers?
It's probably not even useful for the advanced ones. The rear brakes just don't do much, so you want to use a pad with relatively low mu and a flat temp curve. If anything, dropping a little on the high end of temperature is preferable.

What you want to avoid is having the rear pad with high bite or 'sticky' release characteristics. These tend to upset the rear of the car in the brake zone or on entry and it causes more problems than the 1 meter gain in brake zone length that the hotter pad gives you.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Even though Ferodo say that the pads must not, under any circumstances, be used on public roads. :lipssealed: As Spain is in the EU then the pads need to be R90 approved (guessing track pads are a no no due to optimum operating temps or pedal modulation and feedback). If you had an accident you would no doubt invalidate your insurance. Not really worth the risk for the time it takes to swap out the pads in these Brembo calipers. Just saying. :thumbsup:
Well, I was not aware of this R90 regulation, so thanks for mentioning that.

Googling now most hits are indicating that the DS 2500, which afaik is what is used on our more-or-less-PP1 Mustangs here in Europe, are actually not R90 approved either, though I can't find anything official from Ferodo mentioning it one way or the other. Presumably they are legal since that's how they come to us from Ford, and most of the Google-hits are wrong.

If it's regulation the reason does not really matter as far as the legality is concerned, but out of curiosity I still wonder what the reason is. Perhaps these brake pads brake too hard, harder than other cars behind can be expected to accommodate without crashing into me? First thing I noticed when I got in my Mustang was how strong the brakes felt compared to the lower tier cars I've driven before. Add to that the DS 1.11 do seem bite a bit harder than the regular pads during my daily driving, and I need to be a bit more gentle when applying brakes, so perhaps there's some good reason behind this regulation too. Not that anyone really should be so close behind.

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
Clamps don't work on stainless lines.
True. I'll be honest with that I didn't fully inspect their setup, and yes, it's hard to bend metal with plastic. Perhaps they're fine taking a small loss trying to suck whatever bubble through with a negative pressure bleeder we can't see, I dunno. Can tell you that pit officials watch over like a hawk and depending on the league/org, you can't spill a f'n drop, with teams using metal pans, carpet remnants, plastic buckets, whatever.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Perhaps they're fine taking a small loss trying to suck whatever bubble through with a negative pressure bleeder we can't see, I dunno.
They are not.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Staubli is the supplier everyone uses.

This isn't new. It was Phil Remington's idea (made famous recently in Ford vs. Ferrari) to help the GT40's win Le Mans.

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
Staubli is the supplier everyone uses.

This isn't new. It was Phil Remington's idea (made famous recently in Ford vs. Ferrari) to help the GT40's win Le Mans.
Small world. Had my Cobra in the shop years ago, and my service manager called me up and told me to come on by, and they just got their hands on a GT and it was leaving same day. Shooting the shit, waiting for them to finish up, and this old guy came by to pick it up and drove it off, said hi, shook some hands, and had a line or two with him, not knowing at the time who it was, he said something as he was walking away that it was almost as cool as his other one. I mean, yeah, if you were Phil Remington, I guess you're one of a handful that is uniquely qualified to say it.

Specracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Add Padgid Yellow pads to your list. I have used a few sets of these. These pads survived track use (Im an experienced road racer), but they are also streetable. The squeak some when braking lightly, but does not bother me.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I daily gloc R18/R12. Amazing combo at track,

if you’re just starting out maybe go R12/R10.

Yes Gloc says they’re track only pads. Yes they dust like crazy. But I’ve found them really tolerable on the street and worth the sacrifice. Dust doesn’t damage wheels like other compounds.
Doesn't they squeak like a freaking train ? I drive my R10/R8's on the street but everywhere I stop they squeak like a train so it's really embarrassing. Especially on the gas station where the pump operator asked if something is wrong with the car no man this are my track pads.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
If it's regulation the reason does not really matter as far as the legality is concerned, but out of curiosity I still wonder what the reason is. Perhaps these brake pads brake too hard, harder than other cars behind can be expected to accommodate without crashing into me?
Before the winter a few friends decided to take the cars for a ride and on a crossroad someone stopped really hard in front of me I was with OEM pads so I managed to stop just before hitting it. My friend behind me (Lexus ISF) was with DS3.1 and also managed to stop before hitting me unfortunately the Nissan jeep behind him was not able to stop fast enough even though we were traveling with like 50 km/h prior stoping. The Nissan hit my friend he hit me and I hit the car infront of me. Lucky for me it was minor scratches nothing big. The Lexus lost both his front and rear bumpers and spend like a few months waiting for parts and fixing the car. And the Nissan Jeep was gone gone. So yeah having track pads on the street is dangerous exactly because the car behind can't stop fast enough in extreme stop situation.
Sponsored