corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Can we get back onto the subject of how bad a** that car is.

I just watched a video on Desert 1320 youtube channel and you can see this car in action. One thing i will say, you can see that he needs more rear suspension modifications or his alignment is really effed up because every time the car squatted hard, it was trying to shoot left. Thats a big issue with our cars. You NEED to make the rear end solid with solid bushings to have full control over the car. Any movement that's not positive can cause the car to dart out of control.

I find this very odd that i watched this video yesterday, told myself that the car has something wrong by the way it was all over the track. and i see this thread today.
All that may well be true, but it still does not excuse trying to debug a launch handling problem on the street. Even a wide-open parking lot would have been a better venue.

It's not like he had no way of knowing how fast that car could get out of control.

Norm
Sponsored

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
All that may well be true, but it still does not excuse trying to debug a launch handling problem on the street. Even a wide-open parking lot would have been a better venue.

It's not like he had no way of knowing how fast that car could get out of control.

Norm
There's different kinds of street racing. There's idiots racing in traffic and putting other peoples life in danger. And there's organized racing on the street. Two very different things. If you watch the video i was referring too, he's apart of the organized portion of street racing. Thinking a parking lot is a safer place to test is extremely wrong. And even the area this guy wrecked his car looks very secluded from the pedestrian traffic. He got caught because someone just happened to see. No where near any danger to other people.

Only a few would understand and most probably disagree but if you love racing, you love organized racing on the street.

ALSO NOTE: saying street racing can also mean racing on a private industrial road, a private airstrip, a private property, which is the SAME thing as a race track as long as permission is giving to be on premises. This post does not condone any illegal activities. and i'm not defending this guy. Obviously he cant be that smart considering he ran. but i won't say he's any dumber when compared to whoever wrote that article.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a link to the video showing this car running prior to it getting destroyed ?

WD :like:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
ALSO NOTE: saying street racing can also mean racing on a private industrial road, a private airstrip, a private property, which is the SAME thing as a race track as long as permission is giving to be on premises.
That's really what I was getting at, just that I'm not into street racing. Or much into drag racing at all, for that matter. What I can't get on board with is even temporarily closing off a public street for side-by-side racing. Not even if it's "organized".

Norm

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
That's really what I was getting at, just that I'm not into street racing. Or much into drag racing at all, for that matter. What I can't get on board with is even temporarily closing off a public street for side-by-side racing. Not even if it's "organized".

Norm

Have you ever seen roadkill nights on woodward in pontiac michigan?

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Have you ever seen roadkill nights on woodward in pontiac michigan?
No.

But it's not like that occasional event is much more available to racers than sanctioned drag strips, either. Wouldn't do me (here in NJ) much good being halfway across the country.

Even though I'm not into drag racing, I do feel sorry for those who are, with dragstrips closing. On the other hand, if I have to take my race-pace driving to the tracks of my choice it's hard to get on board with the impromptu racing on the street that's the way it's more apt to happen.

Norm

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
No.

But it's not like that occasional event is much more available to racers than sanctioned drag strips, either. Wouldn't do me (here in NJ) much good being halfway across the country.

Even though I'm not into drag racing, I do feel sorry for those who are, with dragstrips closing. On the other hand, if I have to take my race-pace driving to the tracks of my choice it's hard to get on board with the impromptu racing on the street that's the way it's more apt to happen.

Norm
I agree but i believe the drag strips are closing because the areas that were once secluded are now becoming the new areas for expansions. Or simply because the track was not ran properly. I've never been to a track that didn't have a sufficient amount of cars. I'm talking like i've been all over the country but i've only been to mainly the big tracks on the east coast and some in the mid west.

I believe a lot of the reason the guys are taking their activities to the street is the fact that cars are so fast compared to when the nhra rules were established. I mean, technically a bone stock tesla can not even run legally on a nhra/ihra certified track.

Maybe when you don't need to have a full cage and 1k in fire protection to run your bolt on mustang with drag wheels, people would be more likely to race at the track.

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
That story in the OP reads like it was written by a third grader.

Here's the real reason not to street race. It's all fun and games until you run over the baby stroller.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...sh-as-young-driver-faces-sentence/ar-BB1frAeR

A dead mother and child, a family destroyed, two kids whose lives are ruined. Saw this on Court Cam. The kid's deer in the headlights stare and the anguish of the family say a lot more than a bent up Mustang.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
I think some laws are over enforced and taken too seriously, but this car should be on the track, not on the street. If you can spend that kind of dough on your vehicle, go to a F$)#(@ track.

Whoever was driving deserves to get the book thrown at them.
Meh, opinions are like ___Holes everyone has them.
Why you have a mustang ? it can get to over the speed limit in under 6 seconds on most roads, take it to the track, not the public roads.
I know, I know it is the old, it was "different" when I did it.
Been hearing this b/s for 50 odd years.
If tracks were open daily, 9am to 9pm you'd have a point. but as seen as most tracks are very limited on when they are open , IF there is even one local to you.
Problem today is every human has a video recorder in their pocket, so what has always gone on, now is recorded video.
I feel safer at an odd hour car meet up, than I do during 9-5 traffic.
The only difference now, is people are dumb and allow dopes to record the after hours mayham . Anyone that pulls out a phone to record should get a knuckle sandwich .

The really dumb ones do this mayham in metro areas, that have traffic and foot traffic 24/7.
But nothings changed, been going on for decades. only now more morons show up only to post crap on social media like the dopes they are, thank God that wasn't a thing a few decades ago.

Last edited:

NO1CARES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTPP 5.2 TH400
That story in the OP reads like it was written by a third grader.

Here's the real reason not to street race. It's all fun and games until you run over the baby stroller.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...sh-as-young-driver-faces-sentence/ar-BB1frAeR

A dead mother and child, a family destroyed, two kids whose lives are ruined. Saw this on Court Cam. The kid's deer in the headlights stare and the anguish of the family say a lot more than a bent up Mustang.
Man thats a true devastating accident and extremely sad on both ends. One bad decisions leads to years of regret. Some scary stuff right there....

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Meh, opinions are like ___Holes everyone has them.
Why you have a mustang ? it can get to over the speed limit in under 6 seconds on most roads, take it to the track, not the public roads.
I know, I know it is the old, it was "different" when I did it.
Been hearing this b/s for 50 odd years.
If tracks were open daily, 9am to 9pm you'd have a point. but as seen as most tracks are very limited on when they are open , IF there is even one local to you.
Problem today is every human has a video recorder in their pocket, so what has always gone on, now is recorded video.
I feel safer at an odd hour car meet up, than I do during 9-5 traffic.
The only difference now, is people are dumb and allow dopes to record the after hours mayham . Anyone that pulls out a phone to record should get a knuckle sandwich .

The really dumb ones do this mayham in metro areas, that have traffic and foot traffic 24/7.
But nothings changed, been going on for decades. only now more morons show up only to post crap on social media like the dopes they are, thank God that wasn't a thing a few decades ago.
It's one thing to have a car that's a production vehicle with just a few low dollar mods to it. Fast, slow doesn't matter almost every vehicle made can travel fast enough to break speed limits and can be dangerous if you are inattentive even without breaking any other rules of the road.

It's quite another thing to have a heavily modified vehicle that you need to tow around because it will break if driven much more than a 1/4 mile at a time and that costs more than some people's houses and that when you push the loud pedal all the way down you have to be extremely skilled just to keep it on the road.

I agree street racing out in the middle of nowhere somewhere only endangering the voluntary participants - yes, fine. But like you said, this was in a metro area.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
It's one thing to have a car that's a production vehicle with just a few low dollar mods to it. Fast, slow doesn't matter almost every vehicle made can travel fast enough to break speed limits and can be dangerous if you are inattentive even without breaking any other rules of the road.

It's quite another thing to have a heavily modified vehicle that you need to tow around because it will break if driven much more than a 1/4 mile at a time and that costs more than some people's houses and that when you push the loud pedal all the way down you have to be extremely skilled just to keep it on the road.

I agree street racing out in the middle of nowhere somewhere only endangering the voluntary participants - yes, fine. But like you said, this was in a metro area.
Have you ever heard of drag week, I'm going to assume you have not.
Face it , it isn't yours or anyone elses duty to tell others how or where they can use their vehicles. If it get tags, it is good, if the human behind the wheel drives like a ,moron, that is on them , not the vehicle, not that type of built up car, And not those that take their toys out to play at odd hours on industrial park roadways. That is between them and the local popo.
Just like it is if you break any driving law.
So in your eyes/opinion a built up car bad, but a venron good because it is a "production vehicle".
Again, why you own a model vehicle that whole reason for being is to drive spiritedly and/or down right hard.
Reminds me of the do as I say, not as I do . mindset.
Not a fan of that logic.
There is just as much footage of "production" vehicles, hell even just mustangs, wrecking on the public roadways with a real chance of harming others on the roadways and on the sidewalks,grass.
But please , by all means go on. To me, both types of wrecks are from morons in the seat, not if vehicles is a built up one, or off the lot one. but your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If I owned this track I'd have TnT 6 days a week and points racing on Saturday, or Sunday if rained out.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
This track lost in court. I don't know how since the people complaining are from Ohio and the track is in Ky. I say F-U you knew a track was there when you bought your home.
Because it doesn't matter who's right. It only matters who's got the better lawyer.
Sponsored