Sponsored

Strange request from the Ford dealership

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Not quite sure how you arrived at "insecurity" when someone is taken aback that the new owner of his truck is having buyer's remorse and is expecting the dealership & previous owner to step forward to fix something he should've realized before purchase. You get what you deserve if you don't take a used vehicle on a comprehensive test drive. Does the location of the dealership really matter here? A test drive needs to include a few highway miles, so you do what you have to do to make it happen. If it's a 20 miles trek to the interstate, get on the road. Sounds like laziness and impulse purchasing got the better of someone. This doesn't make the OP insecure...it makes his truck's new owner a dipshit.
I think you illustrate the issue perfectly. "Someone is taken aback that the new owner is having buyer's remorse and expecting the dealership and previous owner to fix something."

Do you see the problem? You have two really critical assertions embedded in that statement and you don't know that either one are true.
1) "Buyer's remorse"- someone deciding they want to change exhaust /= buyer's remorse. He might totally love the truck but just want it a bit quieter. He might have bought that particular truck because the color and overall condition, and thought maybe he could live with the exhaust, but then decided he likes the truck enough to keep it but can't deal with the exhaust. You are assuming to know what the buyer is thinking, but you don't know anything at all except that he wants a stock exhaust

2) "Expecting" something to happen ... you don't know that, either. Asking isn't expecting. "Hey, I want a stock exhaust and the PO took his off; maybe I can save some money." Maybe he's super entitled and fully expected something for free. Maybe the dealer suggested asking to try to save the customer a few bucks. You are making an assumption; we don't know.

This is a textbook example of assuming the worst in the absence of information. The only info we have about the buyer is that he a) wants to keep the truck (you don't change the exhaust on a vehicle you're about to dump), and b) wants a quieter exhaust. Everything else said about him is an uninformed guess.

Also, as for you, you seem both overly sensitive and totally ignorant of the fact that there are places in this country where a 20-mile journey to an open highway can take 2 hours, and not all dealers will let you do that with a $60K truck. But it's a typical small-minded thing to assume that what you know is what is true for everyone.
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing wrong with either action, but I personally would of gave the dealership the exhaust, I keep my oem parts incase I want to revert back, maybe he put it back on and decided he wanted an aftermarket exhaust. you know the guy paid $$ for the truck from dealer, could of helped him a little going back to oem exhaust, he would prob end up going back to exhaust he had anyway

takes up space, and helps someone out. id of given the part. when I sell vehicles/bikes I tend to give them everything I have for it and wish them best of luck with its ownership

Deleted member 35644

I think you illustrate the issue perfectly. "Someone is taken aback that the new owner is having buyer's remorse and expecting the dealership and previous owner to fix something."

Do you see the problem? You have two really critical assertions embedded in that statement and you don't know that either one are true.
1) "Buyer's remorse"- someone deciding they want to change exhaust /= buyer's remorse. He might totally love the truck but just want it a bit quieter. He might have bought that particular truck because the color and overall condition, and thought maybe he could live with the exhaust, but then decided he likes the truck enough to keep it but can't deal with the exhaust. You are assuming to know what the buyer is thinking, but you don't know anything at all except that he wants a stock exhaust

2) "Expecting" something to happen ... you don't know that, either. Asking isn't expecting. "Hey, I want a stock exhaust and the PO took his off; maybe I can save some money." Maybe he's super entitled and fully expected something for free. Maybe the dealer suggested asking to try to save the customer a few bucks. You are making an assumption; we don't know.

This is a textbook example of assuming the worst in the absence of information. The only info we have about the buyer is that he a) wants to keep the truck (you don't change the exhaust on a vehicle you're about to dump), and b) wants a quieter exhaust. Everything else said about him is an uninformed guess.

Also, as for you, you seem both overly sensitive and totally ignorant of the fact that there are places in this country where a 20-mile journey to an open highway can take 2 hours, and not all dealers will let you do that with a $60K truck. But it's a typical small-minded thing to assume that what you know is what is true for everyone.
Very sorry that you think people who use common sense are small-minded. The bottom line is that if you can't / are unwilling to test drive something before you buy it, and it turns out to suck, don't expect anyone else to fix it for you. Laziness does not pay in many real-life situations, as you can see, but are unwilling to admit. If a dealer isn't willing to accommodate any reasonable requests related to the purchase of a $60K vehicle, any reasonable person would walk the deal. He wanted it, he still wants it, and he didn't learn much about it before he dropped big coin on it.

I'm going to guess that you must chair a charitable organization for a living, and would be easily scammed out of a fortune for giving every Tom, Dick and Harry the benefit of the doubt at every turn.

As far as being prone to assuming the worst from people....I come by it from experience. Having worked at a dealership early in my life, I'm pretty sure the textbook example in this scenario is the guy who bought the truck, while you could easily be defined as a textbook enabler.

Overly sensitive? I'd have to care first.

Good day, and good bye.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
What is more interesting that OP
Read all the responses. They seem indicative of the problems we have interacting and communicating now days, and how we all sometimes judge a situation without having all the facts and circumstances. Just saying it's easier to be helpful to others then to do otherwise.
If we waited for ā€œall of factsā€, weā€™d all be speechless, which sometimes is the best option ;-)
Under normal circumstances, I absolutely agree itā€™s best to help out our fellow man. Dealing with a car salesmen is far from normal. Maybe 10% are really good guys, maybe.
Weā€˜ve all got horror stories dealing with these guys. If you donā€™t, youā€™re one lucky dude.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
OP could of possibly worked a small deal for the exhaust, maybe a free oil change or something of some value for the time to come down and give it in. That could be 100 bucks right there, I know you 350 guys have expensive oil changes.

If the dealership went out of the way to ask for it, I really think they would of been down for something along that.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; I do not get the drama which surrounds this. The original owner appears to have kept the factory exhaust when it was replaced and it now is useless junk, to him, since he traded the truck away.
The new owner of the truck has asked if perhaps he still has the factory exhaust and would be willing to let him have it to replace the aftermarket exhaust. If the OP has some personal reason for keeping the old exhaust then he just declines. (I had three hours of "hoarders" tv shows on the other day to avoid watching the news, so know some folks hang onto stuff they do not need.)

It is that the OP right away made unpleasant comments about the second buyer which stuck out to me at first. Then later how many others have taken a similar attitude against the second buyer. For some of you that second owner is some sort of enemy. I guess because he has a different attitude about loud pipes.

I live just outside the small town I was born in. Middlesboro KY. A town built inside a meteor crater it turns out. I went away at 19 to make a living then came back after 40 years. I found a house in TN just across the state line about five miles away. Being a crater to leave the town in most directions, except one, required going over a ridge. The one, non ridge direction, followed to the north the only stream which drained the old crater. Must have been a big lake in some distant past.
The route south had been thru a gap in one of the ridges. That gap had been associated with folks such as Daniel Boone and also the Civil War. In the 1950's a big portion on that ridge was made into the Cumberland Gap National Park. I was in the boy scouts back then and my troop 32 took part in the opening ceremony. A highway (US 25E) use to run up the ridge and tru that gap.
In 1996 a tunnel under the gap was opened. I moved back in 2010 and have to drive thru the tunnel quite often. I have come to despise the open exhaust of motorcycles in particular and some trucks from being caught in the tunnel with them. Worst in the warm weather with my windows down. If I leave a store in Middlesboro it just makes sense to have the windows down in a hot vehicle. Not much point in turning on the AC as I will be home before the car cools down. So the very loud exhaust in that tunnel can hurt my ears.
There, some of you have another person who does not like loud exhaust to ding.

One more side note. I was about to buy a used 2019 Bullitt Mustang last year with very low miles. My plan was to show up at my 55th high school reunion with the exhaust wide open to show off. I liked that the exhaust could be opened or closed. Did not buy the Mustang because there was an accident on the carfax report. Also turned out the virus canceled the reunion anyway.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I don't know why this is controversial at all. Everyone's different. Some don't mind a loud exhaust, others do. Who cares what other people like? You do you. If you have the exhaust system why is it any problem for you to offer it to the guy for sale? Just because you like loud exhaust systems? Seems petty to me.

Personally, I like a quieter exhaust. I think it's fun to surprise people with a sleeper.

JWMGR8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JW
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Who cares?
Most new car dealers have insurance liability issues selling stuff with aftermarket equipment.
could be they are worried about being blamed for selling something that does not meet local noise laws?
I traded a mustang with tail lights darked out. The dealer had a hard time with that.
Like I said who cares
If you got stock stuff give it to them

ttillub19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Blade
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Best response! Sorry, the wife must have set it out to the road last summer and threw it away. Sorry, I no longer have it!

Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
You could always tell them you would exchange the stockers for the aftermarket ones and then turn around and sell the Roush ones.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
A loud exhaust always sounds bad A when you first get it, but then after driving it a while people often want it quieter. Case in point is how many 6G members who have asked about toning down the catback they bought. The struggle is real lol.

DaveB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 gt350, 16 gt/cs (wife)
Vehicle Showcase
I cut the mufflers off of my 10 camaro ss. When I traded it on my 13 1LE, I told the salesman and I put them in the trunk. What they did with them from there I don't know.
From what I gather here is that the new owner was wanting to go back to stock, contacted the dealer and they figured, well let me give the original owner a call and see if by chance.
I'm sure the dealer didn't say, give it to us if you have it. I would dig it out and either give it to the new owners, or offer to sell it to the dealer or new owner.
Just my thoughts

TxGT350-52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot, 2021 Diesel Tremor CG
I keep my old parts and offer them to the new owner when I sell the car. If they do not want them at the time of the sale, I throw them away. I had one case where the person contacted me several weeks later to tell me he had changed his mind. Unfortunately, the parts in question were already gone.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Where people are concerned, I assume the worst. Too much personal experience and evidence to convince me otherwise. Good thing I'm not in criminal justice :cwl:
Ha, well I can't argue with the reflex, but I try hard to give the benefit of the doubt. I'm often disappointed!
Sponsored