Sponsored

Straight pipe exhaust

wldstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium+PP, 201A
Hey guys got a question for you. I have a 3" catted mishimoto downpipe. I had a magnaflow competition cat back exhaust but I got rid of it and had my vehicle straight piped. I like that I can hear the turbo spool really well. I think it might be due to the car having a 3" Y pipe. The exhaust then tapers off to a 2.5" with 4" tips. My problem is that I hate the Raspy(honda) noise at higher rpms. How can I solve this issue. Is all I need is a resonator? Or a set of axlebacks?
Sponsored

KadenW23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kaden
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Oxford White Ecoboost
I basically have the same exhaust just a little larger tips. and I've been through 4 exhaust setups and haven't found a way to solve this problem without making the exhaust practically silent. Unfortunately I think its just going to be something that we are either going to have to embrace and accept since we have 4 cyl, or just throw on a muffler and deal with it being super quiet.

Even in the large v8 coyotes there is a lot of rasp in the higher RPM's. The rasp just has a different tone due to the amount of cylinder that are causing it.

But if you find a solution to this rasp problem without making the exhaust note sound nonexistent, or like a Subaru. Please share because I would love to know!

OP
OP

wldstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah it's kind of annoying. I'm going to try adding some axle backs. I hear the MBRP are practically straight through so we'll see.

sauerkraut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
S550 EcoBeast
MBRP's still have some rasp in the higher RPMs, but its deeper so it doesn't sound too rice IMO.

CommyO

Is it a v8?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB Premium PP
Can you guys post some clips on youtube of this setup. All the 'straight piped' videos on youtube are all catted which isn't even technically straight piped.The one I heard in person sounded really good when revved to about 4-5kish?.

Sponsored

OP
OP

wldstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They sound good on the outside but in the cabin I think it's a whole different story. It can get obnoxious. I'm still catted, but I have a 3" Y pipe. I'm wondering how the MagnaFlow competition axlebacks would compare to the MBRP's

Joe_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
why label it as sounding like a ricer or a Honda? Guarantee if you compare the two they wont sound alike. Just rewire your thinking to: "Its American Muscle" not ricer

KadenW23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kaden
Vehicle(s)
yeah, it sounds nothing like a ricer. but it does have some 4cyl rasp which is so commonly associated with a "ricer". I get off work at 5, and will go down some back roads in my down and post a short clip to youtube, then ill post the link for you guys.

If you cant wait till then you can check out my Instagram where I have a short idle video and 5k rev. My username is [MENTION=23881]KadenW23[/MENTION]

TurboMetal

Deadlift or Die.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150 5.0
Not sure if my recent experience will be helpful but here it goes.

Yesterday I had a muffler shop put in a rather restrictive resonator on my Magnaflow comp cat-back. Well it was too restrictive, to the point that my car struggled to make boost after 13psi. But it was sure quiet! haha

It had to go of course, so I went back and they changed it out for a far less restrictive one (Solo Performance MR series short tube). It didn't quiet the car down a whole lot overall but it definitely helped with noise levels on the highway and higher rpm noise.

NewyorkEcoBoost

NewYorkEcoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
I was running a 3 inch cat less downpipe open (open downpipe) and it sounded like complete shit and I had a lot of turbo lag so what I did was I bought a 3 inch y pipe and 2 3 inch resenators went to a muffler shop and made them do 3 inch piping all the way back with the 2 resenators right in the middle . My car sounds great now you can't really here it unless I step on it and I feel a lot more power

Sponsored

KadenW23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kaden
Vehicle(s)
So here is the link to the video promised you guys. The first portion of the video was a cold start right after work, and then the middle part was a warm start with a few revs.

[ame]

MagnaFlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550
A small resonator in the center section would most likely do the trick. Sure, it may quiet things down just little, but it may be worth it have a more pleasing tone.

Doskiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
Mr. Magnaflow is right. I have a Stainless Works turboback on mine and it is essentially a straight pipe exhaust system. I wanted it loud but man it was unreal volume between 2nd and 4th gear. It sounded like I was just running a downpipe with no exhaust at all. I inserted a Vibrant Performance resonator between the downpipe and the Y and it brought the sound in nicely. It deepened the tone and made it sound normal-ish between 2nd and 4th for daily driving, but when you mat it, it gets loud ......... just the way I like it. There is a thread on here devoted to this very issue that peeps were posting in about a month ago. If you can locate that it has some good info in there as well ............ ;-)
Sponsored