Storing car in unheated spaces during winter and tires

Rb1987

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Highlander DD, 2019 GT350
I wont be driving the car during snow or really cold weather like sub 40F. But the tires on the car are summer only and say not to expose the tires to flexing sub 20F. Does flexing mean like just gravity weighing down parked or flexing mean turning? My understanding is even parked the temps shouldnt go below 20F.

I get half a dozen sub 20F days a year so im concerned.

Do people get winter tires just for storage and the occasional drive or do they jack the car up and remove the tires and retire the car for winter?

Or would all seasons be a better choice. I can justify an extra set of wheels and tire if id be using it for shoulder seasons like spring and fall and save the summer set for track/summer.
Sponsored

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I think as long as the tires are properly inflated and you don’t roll the car during the real cold weather they will be fine. It’s the flexing as it moves that creates the issues when below 40*. My car is in the garage and it’s been in the high teens for a few days.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/pilot-sport-4s-tires-and-winter-storage.129688/

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=220

https://www.michelinman.com/auto/auto-tips-and-advice/tire-maintenance/tire-storage

A previous thread. The quote marked in red: I've noticed it referenced in other forums and websites.

It doesn't read like your situation is a one-off, that season-to-season you'll experience these conditions. You can remove the rims/tires and store elsewhere, or, purchase a set of A/S tires, possibly a second set of rims. As you mentioned, the A/S will give you the ability to drive more often while saving your S-type tires for the months when they can be used at their best.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rb1987

Rb1987

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/pilot-sport-4s-tires-and-winter-storage.129688/

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=220

https://www.michelinman.com/auto/auto-tips-and-advice/tire-maintenance/tire-storage

A previous thread. The quote marked in red: I've noticed it referenced in other forums and websites.

It doesn't read like your situation is a one-off, that season-to-season you'll experience these conditions. You can remove the rims/tires and store elsewhere, or, purchase a set of A/S tires, possibly a second set of rims. As you mentioned, the A/S will give you the ability to drive more often while saving your S-type tires for the months when they can be used at their best.
Thanks. Great thread. When I searched I could only find people talking about their winter tires of preference with nearly all of them choosing a dedicated winter tire because they wanted to drive the car. Couldnt find much at all about just sitting there idle.

Seems like almost half of the voters dont care

The 2nd link:

"Tires accidentally exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels, or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle"

3rd link is interesting with the different positions of storage. Looks like I will be storing the summer tires indoors and getting an A/S set. Will hold off on a dedicate set of rims until I find a 2nd hand OEM set without tires. Seems everyone wants to package them with their Cup2s or PS4s and I already have a basically new set of summer tires.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
My car is stored outside in the Winter, as I do not have a garage. And temps here on Long Island can drop into the single digits at time.
My procedure for protecting the tires is this:
First I have Flatstopper ramps which I drive the car on, which helps prevent flat spots on the tire. And it keeps the tires off wet ground. The next thing is I inflate the tires up to 45 psi, so there is significant pressure in the tires which will help with the flexing of the softer tires in cold weather. This was recommended to me when I spoke to customer service at Michelin.
This, along with other things like battery tender, fuel stabilizer, cover, etc.
Once the car is stored for the Winter, it's not moved again, or tires deflated down to 32 psi, until temps get to 45° and higher. This I've been doing for 3 yrs now, with no ill effect on the SC2's, which now have 12K miles on them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rb1987

Rb1987

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
My car is stored outside in the Winter, as I do not have a garage. And temps here on Long Island can drop into the single digits at time.
My procedure for protecting the tires is this:
First I have Flatstopper ramps which I drive the car on, which helps prevent flat spots on the tire. And it keeps the tires off wet ground. The next thing is I inflate the tires up to 45 psi, so there is significant pressure in the tires which will help with the flexing of the softer tires in cold weather. This was recommended to me when I spoke to customer service at Michelin.
This, along with other things like battery tender, fuel stabilizer, cover, etc.
Once the car is stored for the Winter, it's not moved again, or tires deflated down to 32 psi, until temps get to 45° and higher. This I've been doing for 3 yrs now, with no ill effect on the SC2's, which now have 12K miles on them.
Yeah im nearby in coastal rhode island.

Thinking about keeping the car at my dads in south carolina since he has a garage and im driving it there anways. At least until mid march.

I have a garage in the works that will be done before next winter.
Sponsored