Stone chip! Best way to repair

furiousfuria

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT/CS Premium
Remember, color coat should stay in the original chip then build up clear coat to level with the surrounding area. The goal is to just level down the blob. Just be sure to use 2500 grit or higher only on the final clear coat. I sand in one direction and stop and inspect every 5-10 passes.
Understood, thanks brotha :headbang:
Sponsored

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I do this then gently wet sand the blob down with 2500 to 3000 grit paper, ultimate compound on the sand marks and wax.

When I tried the Dr. it kept removing the touch up paint or left the clear coat slightly dull
Dr. Colorchip is probably the easiest option for most, but not necessarily the best. I've used them twice and couldn't get a good paint match. I've been ordering from Automotive touchup for a while and they match the paint much better.

On metal body parts, I also dab a small amount of self-etching primer if metal is exposed. I've learned from previous experience (mistakes) that if you just color over a rock chip where metal was exposed, it will rust under it most of the time. On my previous car I've gone as far as even using a toothpick to apply small amount of rust neutralizer on exposed metal before self-etching primer, just to be sure.