Stock Resonator vs Borla Resonator

GAstallion82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Mine was not the touring, it was loud but I do agree the resonator brings the volume down quite a bit, do you have LTs?
Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
There's a fine line between an exhaust sounding good and like a boy racing plonker!
So many cars sound awful, especially with those silly backfires/pops you get in Audi/Mercs etc

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
I have the borla touring and I would agree its louder than 10% over stock. It makes a lovely noise, I did not want a raspy sound exhaust hence why I bought this. I did discover Borla offer two centre resonators, you can see this by looking at the part numbers on Nemesis. One is for the uk market and one for the EU. The UK market is smaller and louder. The EU one is the one found in the Ford racing touring and the quietest of the range.

GAstallion82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
There's a fine line between an exhaust sounding good and like a boy racing plonker!
So many cars sound awful, especially with those silly backfires/pops you get in Audi/Mercs etc
Just super loud standing still, I have couple of co-workers with ricers and now understand the mustang version of that

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just super loud standing still, I have couple of co-workers with ricers and now understand the mustang version of that
Just out of interest do you have the word "plonker" in the US?

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the borla touring and I would agree its louder than 10% over stock. It makes a lovely noise, I did not want a raspy sound exhaust hence why I bought this. I did discover Borla offer two centre resonators, you can see this by looking at the part numbers on Nemesis. One is for the uk market and one for the EU. The UK market is smaller and louder. The EU one is the one found in the Ford racing touring and the quietest of the range.
I got the Borla Toruing with resonator from US so no idea which resonator it is. But sounds great and much louder than stock imo.

When people say it's only slightly louder because only a few dB higher, need to remember that dB is not linear but exponential so a few dB higher is a lot louder.

GAstallion82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I got the Borla Toruing with resonator from US so no idea which resonator it is. But sounds great and much louder than stock imo.

When people say it's only slightly louder because only a few dB higher, need to remember that dB is not linear but exponential so a few dB higher is a lot louder.
The resonator gives it so much more tone

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)

It will he exactly the same as my one as the US one has the larger resonator. Totally agree with the above. It most definitely is loud under hard acceleration but without any rasp

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'm looking at changing to a Borla or Ford Performance set up and am keen to make exactly the right choice. What I've found out so far is that the Borla Touring cat back systems are the same in the US and UK - there is no specific UK version. The EC Type on Borla's website is the same as the Euro version (as listed on nemesis and elsewhere).

The non-EC type resonator supplied with the touring system has an internal H-pipe with perforated tubes and a packing material for sound deadening.

The Ford performance by Borla resonator has an internal H-Pipe without perforated tubes, but additional chambers to allow the exhaust gasses to expand and mix in the way they would in a chambered muffler. This might explain why it is louder than the Borla version but could also make the characteristics of the sound different - perhaps deeper, which would be my preference.

It would be good to know if the resonator on the EC Type Borla system is the same as the Ford Performance one as it would affect my decision.

Sponsored

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I bought the quad tip exhaust Ford Performance by Borla it was the touring version found it too quiet with the Borla resonator so swapped it out for xpipe the resonator is in the loft did less than 300 miles on the car lol
Sorry to revive this thread again!

I've just bought and installed the Ford Performance Touring kit (EC Type with centre resonator/muffler). Sounds great but is SO quiet I’d say it might even be quieter than stock at certain rev ranges. Obviously can’t return it now it’s fitted.

How much louder did it make yours when you swapped for x pipe? I noticed the rear mufflers seem to have next to no sound deadening in them! (Only half the internal tube is perforated and the mufflers have a hollow sound when you tap them, so obviously not crammed with glass fibre or whatever).

Is it now raspy? Obnoxious cold starts?

Thanks

Pilgrim/uk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
GT Yellow
Sorry to revive this thread again!

I've just bought and installed the Ford Performance Touring kit (EC Type with centre resonator/muffler). Sounds great but is SO quiet I’d say it might even be quieter than stock at certain rev ranges. Obviously can’t return it now it’s fitted.

How much louder did it make yours when you swapped for x pipe? I noticed the rear mufflers seem to have next to no sound deadening in them! (Only half the internal tube is perforated and the mufflers have a hollow sound when you tap them, so obviously not crammed with glass fibre or whatever).

Is it now raspy? Obnoxious cold starts?

Thanks
Its quite noisy on cold starts but only for like 30 seconds and it is more raspy than the v8 burble but also is the burbly noise to and if you just cruising round its not noisy until you apply the loud pedal .
you are not a million miles away im in chesterfield area if you want to come and listen ,you are more than welcome if not ill try n post a vid for you when i remember lol .
like all things mustang its a personal taste for sound and looks . I love the sound mine makes and it suits the quad tip exhaust .

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks for that, I could maybe make the journey some time. Are they still doing the monthly car meets in Doncaster? Could maybe catch up at one of those, make more of it?

Pilgrim/uk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
GT Yellow
Not sure to be honest I did used to go but nothing been posted since lockdown and I’m not on Facebook
I keep looking but nobody is posting meets on here if they still do them

pr8196

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Proj
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Need for Green - Custom Pack 2 with Magneride adaptive suspension, rear spoiler
I have recently got stock resonator replaced with switchfire x pipe. Modurstang did it for me, switchfire x pipe supplied by Nemesis. The growl is deep and lovely to hear, it’s not too raspy as well. I drive with my windows open a bit to keep hearing the growl.
Sponsored