krishv88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
MK
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Hello guys,

Can you guys please comment on the performance of the stock Pirellis on the GTs. Are they holding up well during the cold and wet weathers? Do you recommend using them for all the weathers?

I know many of you changed your tyres. What's the reason? Did you change just your tyres or the wheels as well? Please tell what you opt for and why.

My Black GT is sitting at the Baltimore docks. Now I am in the process of hunting for upgrades and obviously, tyres are the top priority for me.

Any information will be of great help.

Thanks
Krish
Sponsored

Aus-MustangGT

Aus-350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WRX/Evo 8 ADM
My advice is to drive it and see what you think. To be honest I wasn't happy with them at all especially in the cold and wet. Other people seem to be fine with it, so I guess it depends on how often you push your car and how you like it to handle

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
By far the worst cold tyre I've ever driven on. I've got conni's HP5, great grip but they are noisy on the hwy. I'll be going with Micheline Super Sport next time :-)

w0rt3x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT Fastback Manual Ruby Red
I have also read way too many poor reviews on the stock Pirelli's. Given the crap weather in Melbourne, usually cold and wet, I think I'll be looking to put a different set of tyres with a better grip in the wet. Having different width wheels and way too many options, has anyone got any recommendations for good replacement with a decent grip in the wet?

Currently I've got Dunlop Direzza DZ102 on my falcon and they're fantastic!

Fieldsey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have found the stockies to be pretty average when they are cold or in the wet. Once they have been driven on for a while the bit of heat in them make them ok but I still dont trust them. If you live in Melbourne take a spirited drive up Arthurs seat and see how the stock tyres hold up going up the hill around the hairpins and when you change them do the same again.

Sponsored

noboot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Saf
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT
By far the worst cold tyre I've ever driven on. I've got conni's HP5, great grip but they are noisy on the hwy. I'll be going with Micheline Super Sport next time :-)
I use the Pirelli tyres on my VF Redline and I have never had a problem with them in any condition (rain, hail or shine and hot or cold weather) but again it's not the same car so I won't defend them either. What I will say is that if they are so bad on the Mustang while cold before they warm up maybe we all just need to take it easy with the right foot till they warm up. Now in my Redline I have never had a drama in the wet but plenty in here have said that on Mustang in the wet they're very ordinary. Could it come down to the settings and tinkering with them to see if it improves things such as when it's wet to switch the settings to say snow/wet to see if that improves things. I am really looking forward to playing around with mine when I get it next year to see if it does but I only hear good things about the Michelin tyres and if I decide to change wheels will probably try to get the Michelin tyres.

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I use the Pirelli tyres on my VF Redline and I have never had a problem with them in any condition (rain, hail or shine and hot or cold weather) but again it's not the same car so I won't defend them either. What I will say is that if they are so bad on the Mustang while cold before they warm up maybe we all just need to take it easy with the right foot till they warm up. Now in my Redline I have never had a drama in the wet but plenty in here have said that on Mustang in the wet they're very ordinary. Could it come down to the settings and tinkering with them to see if it improves things such as when it's wet to switch the settings to say snow/wet to see if that improves things. I am really looking forward to playing around with mine when I get it next year to see if it does but I only hear good things about the Michelin tyres and if I decide to change wheels will probably try to get the Michelin tyres.
100% mate u have to be really cautious when they are cold, once they warmed up they were ok i found

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ange
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP, Magnetic Grey
I have used many different brand of tyres and all are slippery when cold or wet especially with any car that has any more than 200 kw of power. Unless you have all wheel drive then this makes a difference as I experienced in my previous Audi S5 which had plenty of grip but with a hell of a lot of oversteer.

Malibu1

Malibu
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Over the years I have found the Pirellis to lack grip and be noisy on various v8's that I have owned. However I agree with the comments that you try them for yourself as I have known people that have been happy with them. I am running MPSS which when cold are not at all grippy but they do improve when they get some heat in them. They are reasonable in the wet.

ssb

50 DARK
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Black 'vert GT & BMW M Coupe
I've got Pirellis on my Lexus and the ones on the Mustang feel a LOT better in the wet - to the point where I'm not fussed changing them on the Stang, but the Lexus needs a change.

Sponsored

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
Before I did the cradle lockout I thought they were shit. Now that I've done it, I think they're ok. They're not the worst, but I do loose traction under hard acceleration in first more than I'd like, and they don't hold up well in a hard 1-2 shift.

Wet weather makes me drive like a grandma, but it's a rwd v8 so you're not going to be winning any wet weather races.

I don't think they're bad enough to warrant changing, but I'm probably wearing them down more than I should in preparation for a new setup

Josh_TypeX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue GT
One thing I have learnt since taking delivery of my car a week ago is do not listen to things you read until you have tried it for yourself. The performance of the stock pirellis is good overall. They are a bit slippery in the cold and wet but no more than I'd expect from a high power rwd. If you drive to the conditions you should never have an issue. And when they are warm they grip very well.

mwizz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mustang 390 Fastback
I am happy with them but I take it easy most of the time.

Mustang-GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lahiru
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I find the stock tyres fine. I've hardly driven in the wet and haven't really tested the car at its limits but so far so good.