Stock GT Exhaust on V6 Mustang

furiousfuria

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT/CS Premium
Just got this installed today on my v6 today. I think this may be the perfect sound for our 6 bangers. At start up its pretty quiet, once you step on it you get a nice deep tone.

I had outlaws+hpipe prior to this and that was LOUD, grumble on the low end but screaming tin can on the top end lol. I loved it because of the grumble but hated the high pitch tin can sound when getting on it. The gt oem catback is definitely quieter than that set up but now it stays deep throughout the powerband which is what ive been wanting and there is no drone.

The ride definitely feels smoother and i felt a bit of a power bump, i dont think its a placebo effect...but i could be wrong. I dont think ill be wanting to change a thing on the exhaust for a while.
Haha wasted no time in getting it installed! Glad my old exhaust is working out for you
Sponsored

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Haha wasted no time in getting it installed! Glad my old exhaust is working out for you
Rofl no time wasted at all... installed that same morning lol. I'm finally able to enjoy the high rpm without having to hear a banshee scream, also the ride is much smoother. Almost got pulled over like 3-4 times because police were everywhere in elk grove lol.

tom_hd02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I found a GT catback exhaust on craigslist for $100. It took me 1 hour to install the exhaust on my 2016 v6. I'm very happy with the results. It definitely sounds better at idle and low rpms. I couldn't justify >$1k for the borla system. I'd recommend this mod to anyone looking to improve the exhaust tone for a low cost.

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
Just to add my 2 cents to the conversation, I put a stock GT cat-back system on my car yesterday and honestly I don't hear a big difference. I will say it does seem to have a slightly deeper tone at idle, and a little lower pitch when accelerating, but all of the change in sound is so subtle that I would have a hard time justifying this swap if it cost more than it did. I saw one ad on Craigslist that wanted $300 for a stock GT cat-back, and if I were looking strictly for a better sound I would've been really disappointed in the results if I paid that much!

Having said all that, I do believe this is still a worth while upgrade. For one thing, the GT exhaust just seems to be better made; the bends are smoother, and it comes with nicer tips on the mufflers. There doesn't seem to be any loss of power in the lower rpm from going to the bigger pipe size, but info I've read indicated it can add a few hp at higher rpm. Last but not least, there's a lot more selection of bolt on exhaust upgrades for the GT than the V6, plus it's way cheaper to get the axle-back vs the cat-back and this is by far the least costly way to get 2.5" pipes on the car to fit up those GT size axle-backs!

kciN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Orange
Quick question: If the Stock GT Exhaust can be put on a v6. Couldn't I put a corsa gt cat back on my v6 mustang as well?

Sponsored

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Just to add my 2 cents to the conversation, I put a stock GT cat-back system on my car yesterday and honestly I don't hear a big difference. I will say it does seem to have a slightly deeper tone at idle, and a little lower pitch when accelerating, but all of the change in sound is so subtle that I would have a hard time justifying this swap if it cost more than it did. I saw one ad on Craigslist that wanted $300 for a stock GT cat-back, and if I were looking strictly for a better sound I would've been really disappointed in the results if I paid that much!
True, it's not so much a big difference from stock but yes it is definitely a bit deeper and less raspier than the stock V6 exhaust. $300 is way too much for the swap, I've seen some go for $600 lol.
It all depends what you are looking for, I thought the Outlaws sounded great on my car but I couldn't stand the high rpm rasp, I looked at other exhaust videos for the V6 and all seemed to have it, I figured I wouldn't find one to my liking. Luckily the GT exhaust was perfect for me, the deeper tone was what I was looking for, no rasp and no drone at all. I don't think i'll be swapping this out anytime soon.

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
Quick question: If the Stock GT Exhaust can be put on a v6. Couldn't I put a corsa gt cat back on my v6 mustang as well?
Yes, Any complete cat-back system designed to bolt in place of the stock GT exhaust will also fit the V6.

Where you'd run into issues is if you tried to put in a GT axle-back or GT resonator delete (X- or H-pipe), in those cases you would have to use 2.25" to 2.5" pipe adapters to mate up those pieces to the stock V6 pipes. That would add some complexity and cost to the project with all the extra welding needed to put it together (or a minimum of 4 more exhaust clamps).

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely agree with the above sentiment about it not being toooo much of an improvement, but you can definitely tell that it is a tad deeper. I think it is a bit deeper up to about 3k on mine and can hear it more inside of the car.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Definitely agree with the above sentiment about it not being toooo much of an improvement, but you can definitely tell that it is a tad deeper. I think it is a bit deeper up to about 3k on mine and can hear it more inside of the car.
Agreed. Funny because on my old setup, anything above 3k was horrible both in exterior and interior sound, drone and high pitch rasp made me not ever want to push it past 3k lol so I always tried to drive as conservatively as possible. Once I got my GT exhaust, I couldn't stop speeding lol, I love the deeper tone.

Sponsored

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
Do a resonator delete and it gets louder. I love the sound of the gt mufflers with an x-pipe.
I'd love to be able to ftnd another v8 catback to try an X or maybe a H pipe resonator delete, but I'm not cutting up the one I already have cause I like it too much.

gov cheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 051A Guard
I'd love to be able to ftnd another v8 catback to try an X or maybe a H pipe resonator delete, but I'm not cutting up the one I already have cause I like it too much.
Been there done it. Picked up a second GT catback and put CJPP h-pipe on it. The H-pipe it is louder in a good way below 3500rpm real nice rumble to it. Once rpm's get close to 4000rpm it has a tinny rasp that I hated. Went back to stock GT. Might try x-pipe if i can catch one on sale.
Sponsored