Sponsored

Stock GT Exhaust on V6 Mustang

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Weighed the GT mufflers, each are around 19.5lbs.
The pipes that connect them are oddly shaped so I can't take an accurate reading. They were significantly lighter than either resonator or muffler. It felt a bit lighter than the cpp h-pipe.
So about 58lbs for the resonator and mufflers.

If anyone is looking for a set of stock GT exhaust and is in NJ/NY area hit me up.
Sponsored

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Metallic V6, 1970 mustang convertible
Weighed the GT mufflers, each are around 19.5lbs.
The pipes that connect them are oddly shaped so I can't take an accurate reading. They were significantly lighter than either resonator or muffler. It felt a bit lighter than the cpp h-pipe.
So about 58lbs for the resonator and mufflers.

If anyone is looking for a set of stock GT exhaust and is in NJ/NY area hit me up.
Thanks for the info...since I know that the total GT exhaust system weighs 71 lbs (another tread on the forum has this info), I now know that the midpipes alone will weigh, appx 13 lbs. So if I were to get the midpipes from a stock GT car, add an H-pipe (assume 9lbs) and the SLP 2 axelback system (should weigh around 30lbs), then that means my whole exhaust will weigh around 52lbs. Well that clinches it for me...I am going to stick with my stock 2.25in piping. Yes it is more restrictive, but I think the weight savings will be better and I might get the tone I am looking for with the smaller diameter pipe.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Thanks for the info...since I know that the total GT exhaust system weighs 71 lbs (another tread on the forum has this info), I now know that the midpipes alone will weigh, appx 13 lbs. So if I were to get the midpipes from a stock GT car, add an H-pipe (assume 9lbs) and the SLP 2 axelback system (should weigh around 30lbs), then that means my whole exhaust will weigh around 52lbs. Well that clinches it for me...I am going to stick with my stock 2.25in piping. Yes it is more restrictive, but I think the weight savings will be better and I might get the tone I am looking for with the smaller diameter pipe.
You won't notice the weight difference in daily driving. With the spare tire and jack removed I believe it comes close to balancing out.

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
You won't notice the weight difference in daily driving. With the spare tire and jack removed I believe it comes close to balancing out.
True...but then again, my car is not necessarily my daily driver (I usually walk to work). The other thing is that I do not have a spare tire / jack in the car (just the air pump and slime thingy). I still hope the setup I am going for will give me some horsepower.

Sponsored

OP
OP
soldier989

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Give me appeal, give me sound, give me bigger pipes, give me what this car should have come with, give me the 19lb difference. (But I dont race)

I can understand cutting weight, but the estimated 19lb weight difference is negligible when being added to this already heavy car. If you're looking to shed some weight as a whole, and the estimated weight increase is accurate, then this certainly is not the right direction to go.

If every pound counts in your application, I got some cloth seat covers I'll trade for your leather ones. You can remove all seats but your driver seat. You could also get a Tesla head unit and cut out having the heavy CD player (or just pull the stereo entirely). If you could find a way to cut weight from the wheels/rims then that would be substantial.

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Give me appeal, give me sound, give me bigger pipes, give me what this car should have come with, give me the 19lb difference. (But I dont race)

I can understand cutting weight, but the estimated 19lb weight difference is negligible when being added to this already heavy car. If you're looking to shed some weight as a whole, and the estimated weight increase is accurate, then this certainly is not the right direction to go.

If every pound counts in your application, I got some cloth seat covers I'll trade for your leather ones. You can remove all seats but your driver seat. You could also get a Tesla head unit and cut out having the heavy CD player (or just pull the stereo entirely). If you could find a way to cut weight from the wheels/rims then that would be substantial.
Thank you for putting things into perspective...guess I got carried away. Yes I will take the 19lb savings any day, and now that I think about it, once I finish with the suspension mods and engine mounts, I am sure the car will be even lighter. And to add to that, in a way, I am making my own cat back exhaust...so I'm happy.

And of course, upon reading my earlier post, I realized that I am doing the calculations based on the GT exhaust, not the v6 exhaust that I have on the car. I was just trying to see if I wanted the GT midpipes or not. Considering the stock v6 exhaust weighs 60lbs, and taking a guess that the mufflers, and resonators combined weigh about 52lbs, my total exhaust would weigh 47lbs. So actually, I save 13 lbs. But who cares...more flow, good sound, fun time driving the car...that is what counts.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
How much do the spare tire and jack weigh?
No idea, it feels pretty heavy for a non full size spare. I work at home and rarely commute or make long trips so I took it out.

soldier989 said:

Yep 19lbs would probably be better lost with me working out again vs. the exhaust system lol. :D To add: It takes losing 100lbs to drop 1 tenth of a sec in a 1/4 mile so adding this would not slow you down there either. It's negligible as stated earlier.

One more incentive to consider when swapping is the build quality. The v6 unit looks cheap and chintzy while the GT unit appears to be put together so much better.

Last edited:

JohnnyBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
So I'm picking up a gt exhaust this weekend but it is going to be in one piece (so large). My question is do you guys think I'll have a problem fitting it in the trunk and hauling it back? Also, I don't really wanna mess with the pipes and etc I just want the back exhaust part (axel back i think?) How much do you think it'll cost for me to get it cut etc?

Sorry for the newbish questions. Thanks

Sponsored
OP
OP
soldier989

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
So I'm picking up a gt exhaust this weekend but it is going to be in one piece (so large). My question is do you guys think I'll have a problem fitting it in the trunk and hauling it back? Also, I don't really wanna mess with the pipes and etc I just want the back exhaust part (axel back i think?) How much do you think it'll cost for me to get it cut etc?

Unless you drive a limo, you'll have issues getting this into a car. Even then it'll be too wide for the trunk. If you only want the axle back, you can get a saw and cut the pipe, reduce its side and awkwardness, then likely fit it into a car. If you kept it all in one piece you'll save yourself some time by just swapping the entire exhaust out. If you really want to keep your 2.25 V6 pipes, you could use a couple 2.25" to 2.5" exhaust adapters and clamps to put the GT mufflers on.

RedRyan98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

In the trunk of the mustang? Highly unlikely the full catback will fit inside the car but someone correct me if I'm wrong. I had a GT exhaust installed recently and was debating trying to keep the original, but eyeballing it I didn't see any way it would fit.

Just curious, what are your plans with just the axleback section? The pipes on the GT exhaust are 2.5" vs 2.25" on the V6 so they won't work together without some modification.

JohnnyBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Oh ok so then I guess the better route would be to just swap out the whole thing. I was just looking for the easiest solution. Now I gotta just figure out how I'm gonna haul it back...

Gtannenb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang convertible
Oh ok so then I guess the better route would be to just swap out the whole thing. I was just looking for the easiest solution. Now I gotta just figure out how I'm gonna haul it back...
I picked up mine in the back of my GMC Envoy and with the rear seats folded down, it still stuck out the back of the truck. I had to tie it down. Doubt this will fit in a trunk, even if it extends into the seating area.

JohnnyBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
I picked up mine in the back of my GMC Envoy and with the rear seats folded down, it still stuck out the back of the truck. I had to tie it down. Doubt this will fit in a trunk, even if it extends into the seating area.
Mannn...I can try to borrow my parents nissan armada...
Now I'm having second thoughts cuz it'll be a pretty long drive lol:headbonk:
Sponsored