Sponsored

Stock GT Exhaust on V6 Mustang

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
The stock GT catback isn't a choking point even for the 5.0L. People mainly upgrade just for the sound. Oh and the stock GT catback sounds phenomenal with a tune. Not too loud, not too quiet, and baritone.
Sponsored

OP
OP
soldier989

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
A local member just posted a free GT exhaust around me, here in Columbus Ohio. Go to the Ohio thread and PM him if you want to make the trip.

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
whats really funny is, the GT exhaust uses the same exact resonator as the v6. same 2.25" pipe in and out of that resonator. also uses the same 2.25" pipe at the cat pipe/resonator connection lol. if they can make 435hp on that exhaust, I don't see a huge need to go up to 2.5" on our cars. im sure it doesn't hurt. might be a few hp

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
whats really funny is, the GT exhaust uses the same exact resonator as the v6. same 2.25" pipe in and out of that resonator. also uses the same 2.25" pipe at the cat pipe/resonator connection lol. if they can make 435hp on that exhaust, I don't see a huge need to go up to 2.5" on our cars. im sure it doesn't hurt. might be a few hp
I saw a YouTube vid yesterday about exhaust, done at West Tech dyno in California with Frieburger from Roadkill and Dulcich. Sponsered by Motor Trend I believe. Testing a 300 HP Chevy motor trying 2.5" and 3" pipe and a Thrush muffler and a MagnaFlo in combinations. Anyway with the good muffler the 3" showed the same horsepower and torque as the 2.5". Exactly except for one small spot in the horsepower, about 2 HP, identical lines. So the bigger pipe didn't show any gains in either but no losses either. Most people say bigger will cost you torque but not there!

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
interesting. can you post a link?

Sponsored

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
I posted a link just after eight this morning.:shrug: It was a link straight to the YouTube video and now it's gone. Is that a no-no of some kind. I see them posted here all the time. I'll try again later and see what happens.

[ame]

Last edited:

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
yeah I found it and watched it yesterday. I was really surprised the 3" didn't kill any tq. very interesting. I know some guys on here are running GT dual 3" catbacks without issues. now, these dyno tests are obviously at full throttle. im sure if you could measure it, youd see tq losses at part throttle.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Not surprised to see gains with going 2.5"-3" on our cars. The Focus Duratecs (that have very similar head designs to the Cyclone) saw nice gains with going to 3" and that's a 4 cylinder. It is not surprising to see the Cyclone to do the same. Engines are so much more efficient nowadays and modern tuning makes it possible. Couple that with a good tune and you will see gains with no losses in low end tq.

gov cheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 051A Guard
Have been running stock GT exhaust for awhile now and wanted a little more sound. Picked up another stock GT exhaust to experiment with and CJPP H-pipe which is on sale right now. http://www.cjponyparts.com/resonator-delete-h-pipe-aluminized-steel-gt-2015-2017/p/RDHP1/

Install was very easy although i would have liked some instructions.

Cold start is a little louder and quiets right down when revs drop. Did not hear any drone while cruising at highway speeds. Like the sound inside the car up to 4000-4500 rpm definitely louder when hitting the go pedal. After that i was getting a tinny kind of rasp at higher rpm.

Not really sure if there are any gains in power or pickup, thinking it is a placebo affect that if making more noise i am going faster/quicker.

bizkitlimped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 shadow black V6 6spd
watch this video as well.

[ame]

Sponsored

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I have nothing to add that hasn't been said but today is about 70 in northern nj. Went for a drive with windows down and my ears were treated to a nice symphony while under acceleration.

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
I have nothing to add that hasn't been said but today is about 70 in northern nj. Went for a drive with windows down and my ears were treated to a nice symphony while under acceleration.
Yes, I went to a doctors appointment yesterday and when I was leaving, actually still parked, I rolled the window down and revved the engine in neutral just to hear it from outside, sort of anyway. It sounds good inside in the car but better outside the car. Gets people turning their heads to see what's fired up without getting cops two blocks away interested.:cheers:

Last edited:
OP
OP
soldier989

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Yes, it will sound the same as a manual. My cars not insured yet, so I can't meet up with you. Though I may be free this weekend if you want to hop over and hear it.

Lbj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT. A10 auto
We can what until it gets warmer out then we can meet up in the meantime I found a cat back from a 16 GT I am picking it up Thursday .
Sponsored