Stock GT Exhaust on V6 Mustang

SBPGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6, 1993 Probe GT
How did the quality of the JBA headers look? I was looking at them because they look more like equal length than any others. But, the way the pipes looked stretched at the flange and the inside welds make it look like an abrupt transition in size. How close do the header's ports match the heads?
Sponsored

Cafasco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
The quality looked excellent. Yes they are closer to equal length. I reused the oem gaskets, studs n nuts. All is good - no leaks (knock on wood!).

I actually got a set of Speed Daddy 304SS headers off eBay before I found the JBA’s, which are a copy of BBC. The flanges were a bit warped, so I had a machine shop mill them. The shop owner was really impressed with the build quality of those. He’s milled a ton of headers over the years. He said it’s nothing unusual.

I didn’t not have to have the JBAs milled.

In reality it isn’t likely to make much of a difference. I’m not sure I would install headers again. Yeah it does pull better down in the low RPM range. Is it a really big difference, no. Does it sound better, IDK. Is the diff between the BBC and JBA design going to make a noticeable difference, I doubt it.

I have that set milled 304SS SpeedDaddy’s available if your interested.

JoeSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, Manual

friends V6, Bbk Shorties, GT catback, 11-14 GT 80mm TB And KN filter

Cafasco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Nice set up, try some Borla S Type axle back GT mufflers. Will be a bit louder and the flow a lot better. Makes a bigger difference than the headers.

You might consider going with a different air filter. Those K&N filters are great for racing where the engines are rebuilt frequently. K&Ns flow well, but tend to let a lot of very fine abrasives into the engine resulting in quicker engine wear. I used to use them and stopped several years ago after seeing what happens.

JoeSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, Manual
Nice set up, try some Borla S Type axle back GT mufflers. Will be a bit louder and the flow a lot better. Makes a bigger difference than the headers.

You might consider going with a different air filter. Those K&N filters are great for racing where the engines are rebuilt frequently. K&Ns flow well, but tend to let a lot of very fine abrasives into the engine resulting in quicker engine wear. I used to use them and stopped several years ago after seeing what happens.
What other filter then

Sponsored

Cafasco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
From all the testing I’ve seen, Wix air filters flow the best and filter the best (OEM air box). If you are using an aftermarket intake, I’d look at an AFE synthetic dry flow filter.

I won’t even buy a used vehicle that has any sort of oiled gauze air filter installed…not only do they not filter out fines well resulting in excessive wear, but the oil can accumulate on the mass air flow sensor and make the engine run like crap.

JoeSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, Manual
I don't doubt ya, just ran KN's and AFE's without issues, though I've heard this before.

I'll look more into it, thanks Sam

Cafasco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Probably a bit louder. Not sure if anyone with a V6 has gone to that level who is still posting here. I won’t be going that direction. The stock CATs flow just fine for me. I put one on a SAAB once and couldn’t tell any difference w a stage 2 tune, and had to use a CEL eliminator dispite the seller saying it was in unlikely that I’d need one. 1x a year I had to remove it for the emmissions inspection (drive directly there to avoid a CEL). On the way home it would throw a CEL. When I sold it I had to reinstall the OEM CAT…no difference. So it wasn’t worth the hassle and cost.
Sponsored