Sponsored

Stock Gen 3 bobweight/ complete piston-Rod weight??

OP
OP

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
Is that sound logic in my mind I need pistons matching bore expansion aka forged and even 15% stronger in the secondary ring area would get it done....
I just want everyday car I can smash out with the cows and run 3 or 4 times a year on pretty weekends perhaps a mid 10
Sponsored

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
And the entire engine only has 900 miles on it...!!!! Just pop those on, gap a bit for boost, add OPG/S while in there and toss back together....
Because we know the rods hold 900 with e85 and it's my understanding the crank is good for 1200 plus....

I know I cant abuse the piston enough detonation would kill it for sure...BUT the current problem is this blower especially on the 2-3 drops down RPM on recovery at exactly the time it does that this badass efficient blower boost/load spikes for a 1/3rd second...its during those times it rattles ANY at all and the secondary ring breaks....we have actually figured out it likes MORE rpm on top to have a higher recovery ( may swap to a 3.31 to keep recovery rpm up)....when it drops down to like literally in the 4000rpm range on 2-3 ( 3.15s and 28 tire) short shifting that it really tosses load on it especially if its hooked....so ironically its about limiting the amount of cylinder pressure at that low of rpm that's key...hell all the engines would take a single gear to whatever rpm at whatever boost and power....for instance I could do a manual 5th gear pull to 7800 and that was fine...BUT when it drops to recovery rpm at the bottom of 3rd the load/cylinder pressure goes thru the roof and she goes into KR and if you ever hear it....it shows over already not a single time to you get away with it....

I simply need a piston with the strength of the current rotator that will both grow with the plasma bore thermal expansion and be strong enough to endure the conditions that is breaking the stock pistons SECONDARY ring land for 1/3rd a second, then it's fine rest of time....I feel like any increase in the strength of the secondary ring land...and a forged piston matching the growth of the plasma bore is all I need for a fine engine to 7500 and 730 wheel ( is what the build i replicated did on dyno using same tune ) and I asked for less sauce...so 700 wheel...
Interesting. This makes plenty of sense. The reason im building my motor is I broke a stock piston also. Number 3. ... Im on e85 and was making in the 850-900 range when it popped. I was also under 1/4 tank of fuel when it happeneed which i think was a contributor. Im also 3.15 gear.

But the drop in RPM and spike in cylinder pressure during the gear changes makes sense.

Maybe have your tuner turn the timing down during those shifts?

OP
OP

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
Interesting. This makes plenty of sense. The reason im building my motor is I broke a stock piston also. Number 3. ... Im on e85 and was making in the 850-900 range when it popped. I was also under 1/4 tank of fuel when it happeneed which i think was a contributor. Im also 3.15 gear.

But the drop in RPM and spike in cylinder pressure during the gear changes makes sense.

Maybe have your tuner turn the timing down during those shifts?
Here is the problem with that, and I'm learning more and more such as my thread on hooking or at least keeping it in my own lane....the engine when in TC does pull timing in fact it will go negative...now usually pulling timing is good for hot spots causing preignition but in this case I was told less boost and more timing is better ( so far it has been) because pulling timing there can causing cylinder pressure issues and even incomplete combustion ( letting that fuel get stuck between secondary and top ring land then it ignites and crack) and raising EGTs....we have discovered it's actually avoiding a timing pull there that is helpful according to the Knock Sensors.....

Its SO specific they all ran fine everywhere else and man I could lay the graphs from the blow up over each other and they occur in that ONE spot and no where else..its the only spot ( aside from hitting washboards on street or burnouts ) where any KR has ever been or registered...ONE spot across 3 engines 2 installers and 2 tuners....2 boost levels and differing exhaust....ONE spot it's so weird....but it was explained to me it's like hitting a 300shot of nitrous to low in rpm....this blower with the 103mm tb and 113mm MAF simply gives you the sauce from literally 2200rpm to 8k if you want flat as a pancake boost delivery just off idle...and if you turn it 6800 and it recovers at 4500 your getting all that air it was making at 6500 now at 4500 for a split second and it spikes....unlike the prochargers I'm used to which would literally drop 4-5 psi on shift....
Makes it a bad mofo but on that one gear split at that one recovery it's just to much for 93...we are keeping it alive by raising shift rpm ( so recovery ) plus allowing it to spin helps and timing and fuel ect ect....
But it's a matter of time I left TC on other day and it short shifted at 6700 because either than trans is going out ( its starting to take longer and longer to go from R to D and shift flaring at light throttle ) and I just instinctively let out thank god.....
The car needs less boost but I can't got the slowest pulley made for it....there is a range where the heads combustion chamber just isnt efficient and your pulling so much timing it becomes detrimental I think I need about 1 or 2 psi less ( already lowered from 3.50 to 3.75 biggest that will fit ) and full 17-18 degrees of timing would overall be more usable.....
I think I'll quit trying to ice skate uphill and just do the Mahle no rebalance and shift 7700ish with OPG/S.....or if I confirm the engine isnt blowing have Innovators West make me a 10 over 8 rib harmonic balancer...should take 1.5-2 psi off....

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Hmmm. Surely there are other guys having the same problem withi 18+ cars and this blower?

OP
OP

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
Hmmm. Surely there are other guys having the same problem withi 18+ cars and this blower?
Yes lots that's why the top tuners like Lund wont tune it unless you go down from the stock 3.50 to 3.75 pulley....blower is a bad mofo
Sponsored