Sponsored

stock exhaust getting louder?

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Ever since around the 2,800 mile mark I've noticed my stock exhaust seems deeper and louder. It sounds like a MUSTANG now. Is there a break in period or am I just losing my mind?
Sponsored

oldgeezer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT base, Ingot Silver, 6MT, 3.55
Maybe now that it is warming up, you're driving with the windows down?

sspfox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'90 ssp notch, '16 Gt/pp
Mine just turned 1,000miles and I definitely notice that it is slightly louder but definitely more raspy now with snap crackle popping during decelleration. I was dead set on getting an exhaust at first but I might just save the money for FI.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Mine just turned 1,000miles and I definitely notice that it is slightly louder but definitely more raspy now with snap crackle popping during decelleration. I was dead set on getting an exhaust at first but I might just save the money for FI.
Resonator delete is a great (and very inexpensive) way to get enough volume that you can actually hear the exhaust while driving.

Sponsored

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Many mechanical systems change harmonics over time as their parts experience initial wear and eventually settle into an equilibrium. My Roush axle backs sound deeper now than when I installed them; I suspect they "broke in."

OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Maybe now that it is warming up, you're driving with the windows down? ��
Unless I'm on the interstate the windows have been down since April 15th..lol

I also noticed as was mentioned in a reply..I hear the burble when letting off. It also doesn't sound nearly as ricer as it did before at high RPM.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Mine got a bit more noticeable too as the miles racked up..but the resonator delete is perfect if you need a tad more!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Mine got a bit more noticeable too as the miles racked up..but the resonator delete is perfect if you need a tad more!
And then when the tad more isn't enough anymore.... Axleback.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Yes, over time, the exhaust will "season" as it heat cycles. There are lots of great aftermarket systems out there, but the stock set-up for me has been acceptable after the sound change. It's gotten a bit deeper in tone and louder in volume. I have 24,000 miles now on it.

Sponsored
OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I've been thinking about going resonator delete with an H pipe. I think I might just go for it.

Stripes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15GT 401a + Roush AB, MRT H-Pipe
The only time my mustang got louder was when I chopped the resonator off for an H-Pipe. I had the Roush Aclebacks installed from the dealer.

Best decision I ever made.

mada808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I just took off my MBRP street and put stock back on for now and can barely tell if the dam thing is on lol.

Mu5tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Godzilla
I've notice everytime I get back from a long trip (600-700 miles each way) the stock exhaust seems to get louder. Before my last trip I took my coworkers advice and installed a cold air intake (roush) and now it feels like it doesn't have as much back pressure as it used to (when you let of the gas pedal it doesn't nose dive to slow down as it normally did before)and extremely louder with a lot of burble as mentioned. I'm actually very curious why it started to feel like that(on my way out and throughout the drive in that city it felt normal(nose dived when letting off). Through out the whole trip rpms stayed at 2-3k rpms, but on my way back 20 mins before I made it to the state I started to hold the rpms higher then normal and it pretty much made me think that's what caused the freeness of the exhaust. The high temps. and excessive air flow some how frees the cats. or even something with in the system.

Last edited:

[email protected]

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick D
Vehicle(s)
red gt auto
funny i found this thread, 7k miles on mine and just the other day i noticed it seemed deeper and louder, subtle but noticeable. thought it was just a fluke, but when i remote started it the next day it sounded like it was much louder like in the garage lol. its definitely more noticeable now but its a good change. but ive noticed this before on other cars. my 99xj with magnaflow went from just ok to really nice after a few k miles. my 03 cooper s with invidia went from perfect to horrible drone on the highway, but with delightful popping under deceleration. like others said exhausts do seem to break in for better or worse.
Sponsored