Sponsored

Stock AS Tires in the Winter?

klineka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
I have done a decent amount of searching and most posts seem to be asking about the stock summer tires in the winter, but I have the stock 235 50/R18 All Season tires and am debating about swapping them out for winter tires. I live in Columbus, Ohio, and most of the driving I do (about 20 miles per day) is all highway and heavy traffic roads.

The winter tires I can find are all $145+ each so I am debating about keeping the stock AS on for the winter, does anyone have experience with the AS in the winter, I am wondering if the snow/wet mode combined with the AS tires will be adequate or if I should just bite the bullet and get the snow tires on the stock rims now? Then I would put the AS on a new set of rims in the spring so I can just swap back and forth in the coming years.
Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
If you drive the main roads, I think you will be fine. You would not even need to switch to Snow mode except on really bad days, although it couldn't hurt to have it on all the time.

Honestly, if your employer is the type that prefers their employees stay home on those really bad days, then you don't even have to worry about black ice, etc.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I drove on all seasons last year and when there was even little bit of snow, they were absolutely horrible. No traction at all, but also I wasn't really staying home when it snowed. Getting true winters for this upcoming winter.

JCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Auto GT
I wouldnt risk driving pirelli tires in cold weather, but thats me.
...says the guy living in LA! :lol:

But seriously, I drive in the northeast on the same tires with no problems. Had the same tires on my '12 V6 for 3 winters with no issues. Common sense rules the road.

Ice is a different story. I just don't drive when it's icy. It usually melts.:D

Edit: Now that I think of it there were a few occasions where getting up the driveway in a straight line was a bit of a challenge. They're not winter tires, but with some caution and care I was able to handle most of the winter without any real problems.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
Now that I think of it there were a few occasions where getting up the driveway in a straight line was a bit of a challenge. They're not winter tires, but with some caution and care I was able to handle most of the winter without any real problems.
Right, I've been driving for 40+ years and the big game changer for snow and ice driving in my area are the numerous hills (and other drivers).
I have driven with both winter and A/S's tires and have found that for the most part l do relativley well using A/S's if it wasn't icy, the snow wasn't too deep, or if l didn't need to negotiate steep hills and other drivers that would invariably slow or stop ahead of me.:frusty:

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
...says the guy living in LA! :lol:

But seriously, I drive in the northeast on the same tires with no problems. Had the same tires on my '12 V6 for 3 winters with no issues. Common sense rules the road.

Ice is a different story. I just don't drive when it's icy. It usually melts.:D

Edit: Now that I think of it there were a few occasions where getting up the driveway in a straight line was a bit of a challenge. They're not winter tires, but with some caution and care I was able to handle most of the winter without any real problems.
Yep lol

But I was born and raised in the East so I have my fair share of snow knowledge. Not as much as guys still living there, but working in the industry you have to know all the rules and things for both sides of the states haha.

Plus even LA gets snow up in the mountains and trust me ive driven up there during our "winter" season and its sketch without a proper pair of rubber under you.

JCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Auto GT
Yep lol

But I was born and raised in the East so I have my fair share of snow knowledge. Not as much as guys still living there, but working in the industry you have to know all the rules and things for both sides of the states haha.

Plus even LA gets snow up in the mountains and trust me ive driven up there during our "winter" season and its sketch without a proper pair of rubber under you.
Lol, I'll assume you know I was just kidding...fairly certain your tire knowledge is just a tad more extensive than mine!:hail:

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
Since I last spoke on this thread and winter is upon us.

Please everyone remember if it's a white Christmas outside don't use summer tires. Not the safest thing out there to do lol.

Trptguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
resurrecting this thread. So thinking of keeping the stock Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S all seasons i have on for the winter. I am in the boston area and usually run winter tires.

Anyone in the area feel this might be a stupid thing to do?

Sponsored

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
I've officially had it with the Pirelli P-Zero all season tires (255/40/19) on my car, they have 10K on them and frankly they scare me after driving on them during this recent cold snap here in the mid-west. They were OK during moderate temps and dry conditions. They are awful in the bitter cold, very skittish is the best way to describe how they feel. I'm replacing them with a set of Conti DWS 06's today.

Shibaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt. BAD GRN
i live here the the warm state of California. but even in Sacramento...too cold for the summer p zeros. like bricks..slippery in the mild winters.
I switched to michelin pilot sport a/s 3 plus and put them on my performance pack wheels. Very happy with them. No more rear wheel spinning on a cold morning. Makes my stang a yr around car. :clap2:
My 5 spoke forgestars with the p zeros will go back on in april... off in oct. My right rear...almost gone at 6000 mi. The fronts are still good . Think i will buy another set of rear p zeros for summer.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
resurrecting this thread. So thinking of keeping the stock Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S all seasons i have on for the winter. I am in the boston area and usually run winter tires.

Anyone in the area feel this might be a stupid thing to do?
I live about 30 miles south east of Boston. Anytime I back my Barracuda out of the garage in the winter and there is even a coating of snow or ice I am reminded of why I put winter tires on all my vehicles, even my 4x4 pickup. If you really on the car to get you around in the winter my recommendation is get some winters.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I seem to go 'sideways' pretty easily on these neros even in dry weather. Hate to see what would happen with snow. That's what the truck is for.

kh1818

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I've officially had it with the Pirelli P-Zero all season tires (255/40/19) on my car, they have 10K on them and frankly they scare me after driving on them during this recent cold snap here in the mid-west. They were OK during moderate temps and dry conditions. They are awful in the bitter cold, very skittish is the best way to describe how they feel. I'm replacing them with a set of Conti DWS 06's today.
I have the same tires/tire size, and have enjoyed the DWS 06's on my previous car (08 BMW 528xi). Would be curious to hear your thoughts on how the Conti's feel on the S550.
Sponsored