Stock 2021 Mustang GT Premium upgrades

NoNeckNick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Wanted yalls opinion. What is the ONE upgrade to a stock GT V8 you'd make to increase power? Cold air intake? Exhaust? Or both?

How much horsepower does the addition of a simple cold air intake generate?

Thanks! Nick
Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Wanted yalls opinion. What is the ONE upgrade to a stock GT V8 you'd make to increase power? Cold air intake? Exhaust? Or both?

How much horsepower does the addition of a simple cold air intake generate?

Thanks! Nick
You won’t get anything noticeable from either one without a tune unfortunately. And the stock air box on these cars are pretty darn good. Do the CAI for looks or sound if you want but you won’t gain much in HP (high single digits at best). Same for exhaust, change it out for a different sound or volume level but you won’t gain more than a handful of HP.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

Lubner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Whipple

Sponsored

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Exhaust is worth 3-4 hp maybe
CAI 2-3 HP maybe

Just go exhaust for sound, don't buy a CAI, add a panel filter to the stock air box

Otherwise, Go Tune, Headers & Exhaust
Should be worth 30-35RW & a bit more on E85.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Tuning for e85 is by far the best bang for your buck mod if staying NA. Stock intake flows efficiently so CAI alone won't do much besides increasing iats. Better off keeping stock box and a higher flow drop in filter. Exhaust is for sound preference or weight savings not power unless your are talking about long tubes.

Sponsored

deanm11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10
I disagree with the comments on the exhaust being just a few hp.
Documented examples:

Shop and my personal testing sugest Borla S-type cat back is worth a solid 10rwhp, including fairly well down into the mid-range.

Member cahouston did just an x-pipe / resonator delete in the last month and got over 10rwhp at the top.

E85 and tune are a solid choice if you can source the E85. I run ~E70 that is available from pump near me.

Less documentation but I run and think my Steeda Pro-flow closed box intake (without restrictor) is worth 5-10hp.

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I disagree with the comments on the exhaust being just a few hp.
Documented examples:

Shop and my personal testing sugest Borla S-type cat back is worth a solid 10rwhp, including fairly well down into the mid-range.

Member cahouston did just an x-pipe / resonator delete in the last month and got over 10rwhp at the top.

E85 and tune are a solid choice if you can source the E85. I run ~E70 that is available from pump near me.

Less documentation but I run and think my Steeda Pro-flow closed box intake (without restrictor) is worth 5-10hp.
I wouldn't doubt in the meat of the pull u may see some power but at PEAK 10RW

I find that hard to believe unless u base line the car, added the exhaust once it cooled and then had a re-dyno, otherwise too many variables come into play

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
If you want to get some more enjoyment and power out of the car I would do a Tune. Most of the big brand cold airs will run you close to what a tune does. Get our tune and run the 91/93 or flex tunes and you will notice a very marked improvement over the factory. we offer 50-state legal tunes for the mustangs and have a very well-vetted tune process!

OP
OP
NoNeckNick

NoNeckNick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT Premium
If you want to get some more enjoyment and power out of the car I would do a Tune. Most of the big brand cold airs will run you close to what a tune does. Get our tune and run the 91/93 or flex tunes and you will notice a very marked improvement over the factory. we offer 50-state legal tunes for the mustangs and have a very well-vetted tune process!
How does the process work? I've never tuned a car or truck before. I also wonder if my car is already tuned for E85 as when the dealer filled it up, it only showed 208 miles to empty. My first fillup with 93 after that showed 324 miles to empty. How can I tell?

Nick

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
that mile till empty changes, if I flash a tune to mine or change the battery it changes, it's all calculated off of the MPG the car gets.

The tuning process is really easy and pretty darn safe. All you need to do is put the gas in that the tune is made for. All you need is a pc with windows and then about an hour or two of your time. and we have some of industries best customer support if you need help we can walk you through it over the phone. it makes a big difference in power and we offer free tunes and revisions at no fee all you need is the tuner!
Sponsored