Stinger GT owner considering Mustang GT - seeking advice

87and66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brendan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Stinger GT, 2018 Yamaha MT-07
Hello all. I've owned a 2019 Stinger GT since February of 2019 and it's been a great car. Honestly can't think of a better do-it-all daily driver for under $75k. When I bought the car, I wanted 1 car that would do everything, but now my wants have changed. I am currently looking for a cheap commuter/winter car and considering swapping the Stinger for Mustang GT. I have a few questions that I thought might be answered here:

1. If I go with a new Mustang, in today's climate, what price should I expect to pay compared to MSRP?

2. Is it worth it to buy used at all right now?
- for example 2020 GT 301A w/ Active Exhaust and 5,000 miles for $36,999 (from vroom, so non-negotiable)

3. Should I just wait for the S650 and hope things have normalized by then?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Hello all. I've owned a 2019 Stinger GT since February of 2019 and it's been a great car. Honestly can't think of a better do-it-all daily driver for under $75k. When I bought the car, I wanted 1 car that would do everything, but now my wants have changed. I am currently looking for a cheap commuter/winter car and considering swapping the Stinger for Mustang GT. I have a few questions that I thought might be answered here:

1. If I go with a new Mustang, in today's climate, what price should I expect to pay compared to MSRP?

- for example 2020 GT 301A w/ Active Exhaust and 5,000 miles for $36,999 (from vroom, so non-negotiable)

Thanks in advance!
It's not a good time for new or used right now
If you dont,really need it id wait
Imho

OP
OP

87and66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brendan
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like waiting is my best bet. Which I already kinda knew, but I think I just needed someone to reinforce that haha. I definitely don’t need it right now, so it’s no big deal to wait. Every time I open YouTube; it’s all mustang videos. So that’s torture

uptoolayte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zeb
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
There are deals to be had out there for used, just have to be patient and be willing to travel a bit sometimes. I looked for a long time before finding my used for a great deal.

carguy231

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

Thanks in advance!
I have never heard of someone buying a 'cheap' Mustang for a commuter/winter car. Interesting take on things. If I still lived in the Northeast where I grew up, my Mustang would be a 'summer car' and would never see snow [or salt]. Winter cars used to be throw-away shitboxes to get around in that you don't care much about. But to each his or her own. Just my opinion.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
You already have the winter car. Mustangs are horrible in snow. Couple that with dealers unwillingness to bargain makes for a bad time to buy.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
When I bought the car, I wanted 1 car that would do everything, but now my wants have changed. I am currently looking for a cheap commuter/winter car and considering swapping the Stinger for Mustang GT.
I read this as he used his Stinger as a daily, and now he is looking for a "cheap commuter/winter car" so that when he buys his GT350 (subliminal suggestion) he will not have to drive the Mustang in the winter.

rhexis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Audi S4, 2020 Mustang GT

Thanks in advance!
buying a mustang to use in the winter, even with snow tires, is not a very good idea. if you want something for winter id get something with all wheel drive and winter/snow tires.

OP
OP

87and66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brendan
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, I should have worded that differently. The mustang will not be the winter car. It will be the Stinger’s replacement.

Thesauerchise

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Kia Optima, 2021 Mach 1

Thanks in advance!
Waiting is probably best but if you order new there are a couple dealers on this forum (Granger or Chapman?) who could hook you up with a good deal. If your gonna wait might as well wait for the perfect spec of your dreams while it’s being built.

just throwing out another idea.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Sorry, I should have worded that differently. The mustang will not be the winter car. It will be the Stinger’s replacement.
So will the Mustang be your only car - is that how we interpret the above statement?

If so, as others have said - the Mustang is not a snowmobile and isn't suited for extreme winter (snow) driving. Even with excellent snow tires and using Drive Mode "snow", the Mustang is RWD. If inexperienced with a Mustang and one with power - you can end up with the ass end of it in your face rather quickly - especially if not used to driving any year Mustang in snow.

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
I didn't get the impression he wants a Mustang to drive in the snow... He sounds a little brighter than that! His Stinger was a one car to do it all. Now he wants a cheap commuter/snow car AND a Mustang. If the op can afford it, twice the insurance and all, I say, why not?

OP
OP

87and66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brendan
Vehicle(s)
So will the Mustang be your only car - is that how we interpret the above statement?
No, @MD18EcoStang is correct. I will have 2 cars. I am actively looking for a second car AND a mustang. The mustang will not see snow. I don’t drive in snow very often anyway, but the road salt here is brutal. Whether it be the Stinger or a Mustang, I want to avoid the salt and avoid racking up a ton of miles on my nice car while commuting to and from work.

Hillsndale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Magneride Magnetic Grey
While it's a bad time to buy, it's a great time to sell. Kinda evens out, no? Since your Stinger is pretty new, it's value should be good right now. It would be a different scenario if you were looking to move up from an older lower value car.

Unless there's a bunch of options on it, that 301A is probably close to MSRP when it was new.

Have you driven a Mustang to be sure you will like it better than the Stinger?

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Personally, I'd wait. S650 is due for the '23 model year and I'd hope we'll start to see prototypes by the end of the year, with the car being shown next Summer for deliveries late in 2022.

At that point, the chip shortage and knock on impacts will hopefully be easing. If you like the look of S650, press ahead with that purchase, if not you might be able to get a good deal on a late '22MY S550.
Sponsored