Sponsored

Still happy you bought a 10 sp auto?

EP10R80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
Auto is faster especially this one and the manual in itself is not known to be a great feeling or reliable one. I sought out the auto for these reasons and letting the car sit and warm up for a minute or two leads it to driving well. We got to remember it has 10 gears.
Sponsored

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I am a manual guy. I wonder how many manual guys can associate their opinions of the A10 having to do with anticipation of a shift?

When I drive, my body seems to naturally dampen any shift I may do. When I look at my wife (who doesn't dive stick), she seems to move more than I would or expect someone to. She doesn't know when the shift is about to occur and doesn't react while I do.

Now, I drove 3 different Mustangs with the A10 over 9 weeks. I did not like it. Is it possible that I felt all those shifts because I was not anticipating the shift and therefore felt it more than I would in a manual? Manual guys are very aware of shifting gears. We have to. We work constantly at trying to improve our shifting to be faster or buttery smooth. If anything deviates from that and it wasn't under our control, it is bothersome.

Maybe. For this reason, I do not think a diehard manual guy will really like any automatic that isn't at least as smooth as they are in a manual. Add in the fact that the cannot prepare for when a shift will occur and I see this as not as enjoyable a ride.

I do prefer the actions required in a manual since that adds to the experience. Going fast is fun but I am not so caring about 0.2-0.5 seconds faster. If I was, I might buy another car or modify this one just for speed. Of course, there is always someone faster. For me, that just doesn't matter so much anymore.

Last edited:

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Of course not, the manual man must shout to the heavens about how inferior auto boys are. I apologize for my moment of weakness and rationality.
In the pursuit of manual nirvana wouldn't a mere 6 gears be unsatisfying? I mean if shifting is the allure then more shifting must be even better no? :)

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Have you driven a C7 with the 7-speed? Damn thing has three overdrive gears. From a performance standpoint it's functionally still a 4-speed with an OD gear, and another...and another.
No I did consider one before buying the GT (heresy I know). But 7 gears was too much manual nirvana for a mere auto owning mortal to experience..
On topic no ragrets :) buying the 10 speed its badassed.

no-ragrets-temporary-tattoo-2663.jpg

Last edited:

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
No jerkiness, no gear hunting, and no hesitation for me. Also no broken shift forks, no slipping, and no high RPM lockout (all "known" MT82 problems).
RPM lockout only happens to the boys who don't know how to find the hole. :giggle:

Sponsored

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Until I bought my '18 - three years ago yesterday - I have driven only MT cars for the last 25 years. After commuting in heavy traffic from 2007-2018 with my M5 Honda Fit Sport, I was ready to give my clutch leg a rest.

When the Mustang became the front runner for the Fit replacement, A10 was the only way to go. I wanted the Ecoboost engine for commuting duties, and turbos & autos were meant for each other. This car has been fantastic, and the transmission has only rarely had any sort of clunky shift that others have complained about. Hard engage into reverse when cold? Sometimes. I can allow that. Smooth shifts in Normal mode, fast shifts in Sport/Track, and brutal shifts in Drag mode... it does exactly what I hoped it would do. The only thing I wish it did better was shift faster using the paddles. Not exactly a DCT so I rarely use the paddles.

All in all, still happy I bought the A10, and I would buy one again.

FinitePrimus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
My 2021 is the first auto sports car I ever purchased. Reasoning?

1) Wife *HATES* manual (she can somewhat drive it) and happy wife, happy life
2) Auto is easier in traffic (planning to potentially use as a daily driver) - I remember going to bed with an achy calf most Friday nights after a week of 1.5h each way in bumper to bumper traffic
3) The claim the 10R80 was so much faster / different car / different driving experience
4) Getting older and I have shoulder issues in my right arm now that I don't see improving over the next few years

Overall, it's a great car. I love it! Fast as snot, always in the power band, sport+ mode offers a decent gear kick through town etc.

My *slight* regrets in not getting a manual coming from someone who has always driven manual:

1) Fun factor outside of traffic rowing gears
2) Control... the 10R80 scares me sometimes going from bursts of low throttle to lots of throttle to no throttle. Best way I can describe it is that it takes over, sometimes downshifting hard, revs go way up. I end up needing to brake to control the car. Manual I'd be used to just taking my foot off the gas or clutching in
3) Similar to #2, with my old fox bodies many times the car might get a little sideways or dicey and I could always quickly clutch in to cut power so I felt a lot more control over the car - especially in rain etc.
4) The 10R80 is fast but really it's when your giving it throttle. I feel it might have been a bit more fun in and around town to play in the gears a little more.. stretch the shifts... etc. The paddle shifters are just not the same experience, especially with the delay.

Overall I'm very happy with the car and trans -- but I do have that FOMO feeling from time to time. Then I tell myself, it was auto or the wife would have forced me to get a F150 instead.

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic Metallic PP1 Magneride 401A manual Roush stage 2
Lol so you came on here for no other reason than to gloat about your transmission choice. You're not helping the stereotype.
No not all just thought it would be funny
I have owned many Mustangs just never a auto

Sponsored

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I have a feeling all A10 owners will regret the A10 when the next auto makes the car even faster and cures all the quirks this one has.

or when the car is even faster without a tranny

EP10R80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
I have a feeling all A10 owners will regret the A10 when the next auto makes the car even faster and cures all the quirks this one has.

or when the car is even faster without a tranny
I'm keeping mine forever and it's been problem free! It's a little disappointing to see comments like this. Ultimately, we're all driving S550s.

What happened to camaraderie?

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 California GT: Black
I was originally considering an Auto 2018 GT given how good they are supposed to be and being faster, I even rented an auto one,

fast fwd 2 years, I bought a manual, and it just reminded me how much fun manuals are, and dont regret it for a second. Ive had autos my whole life except my first shit bomb car

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 California GT: Black
I'm keeping mine forever and it's been problem free! It's a little disappointing to see comments like this. Ultimately, we're all driving S550s.

What happened to camaraderie?
I was intending to keep mine for ever, however, if the s650 comes in a v8 with the same growl, and especially if it becomes the last one before its fully electric or loses its growl, ill be upgrading
Sponsored