Still happy you bought a 10 sp auto?

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
TBH, the paddles are my least favorite aspect of the A10. They don't seem to shift quickly or firmly in any mode that I have tried, and that makes them worthless to me. I've probably used the paddles deliberately a dozen times at most over the last 18 months, and they're consistently disappointing. Leaving the car to shift on it's own is a much better experience in every drive mode. If the shift logic could be changed to shift as quickly as in Track or Drag when using the paddles, you'd have something.
Sponsored

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
its funny, a few years ago and car enthusiasts would have laughed at an auto. Now I came to the forum a few weeks ago and saw a thread that a guy was asking should he get the manual or the auto on his new gt and 99 percent of the responses were the auto no question about it. Would of thought in a muscle car forum manuals would have ruled (they would have) but the times are changing and the end is near for manuals. If going to auto doesn't do it. electrics will, they don't even have a transmission.

And yes I love my a10 and before this car I was a manual driver for 30 plus years. Matter of fact it had been so long since I had drove an auto I had to learn to drive one. As funny as that sounds.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I think for the muscle car segment specifically, the writing went up on the wall in the late 1960's when automatics started 'coming of age' - the potential advantages of the torque converter automatic for straight line acceleration seemed obvious enough even when it was 3A vs 4M. It just took a while longer for the potential to be realized and more widely recognized.

The 'holdout segment' has been sports cars and cars with a heavier emphasis on cornering.

Norm

redtrack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 10AT
TBH, the paddles are my least favorite aspect of the A10. They don't seem to shift quickly or firmly in any mode that I have tried, and that makes them worthless to me. I've probably used the paddles deliberately a dozen times at most over the last 18 months, and they're consistently disappointing. Leaving the car to shift on it's own is a much better experience in every drive mode. If the shift logic could be changed to shift as quickly as in Track or Drag when using the paddles, you'd have something.
My A10 make crispy /harder shifts in sport...maybe was Lund's tweak.... in normal is "normal". I use paddles with stick in "S".

Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
The only thing that I had trouble getting used to was the inability to cause crackles and exhaust blasts with high rev to an upshifts. Now that I have that figured out it's pretty much perfection.

NC STANG GUY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 A10 GT 99 Terminator swapped Cobra vert 93 LX hatch 90 LX coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Over a year later and I'm still good with having chosen the A10. Still amazed how good it is in the twistys in places like the Tail of the Dragon. Almost like it reads your mind. (in the Sport+/Race modes etc)

Still have my terminator swapped 99 Cobra vert if I feel the need to go bang some gears in a straight drive.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I really like it a lot as others have noted. It is uncanny how it knows where to be based on how I'm driving. I do find it can be a little rough shifting up in either 5th or 6th somewhere in that range when accelerating briskly. I'm going to see if there is an applicable TSB for my car when it goes in for service in a couple of weeks. But that's a minor niggle as I really like it overall.

jbanh100

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jackie
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance
The only thing that I had trouble getting used to was the inability to cause crackles and exhaust blasts with high rev to an upshifts. Now that I have that figured out it's pretty much perfection.
How was this done? I planned on getting catless headers paired with my stock AE with res delete (H). Would this cause that beautiful upshift sound I want to hear? It kind of does it now haha

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
How was this done? I planned on getting catless headers paired with my stock AE with res delete (H). Would this cause that beautiful upshift sound I want to hear? It kind of does it now haha
Or just remove your resonators. I have an X-pipe. With what you're going to do you could shoot flames

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
It's interesting that in the Porsche forums you see people saying they are selling their cars with the PDK and going back to manual. I have not seen anyone say that for their Mustang with A10.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
It's interesting that in the Porsche forums you see people saying they are selling their cars with the PDK and going back to manual. I have not seen anyone say that for their Mustang with A10.
To suggest the Mustang A10 is better than Porsche PDK is hilarious. It's because Porsche owners want a drivers car and not gimmicks. The popularity of the GT350 proves the manual is still desired.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
To suggest the Mustang A10 is better than Porsche PDK is hilarious. It's because Porsche owners want a drivers car and not gimmicks.
I didn't read Balr's post as a comparison between the 10R80 and the PDK at all. That said, I think it's still too early to be seeing very many people with 10R80-equipped Mustangs going back to manual. The MT-82's reputation most likely has something to do with that as well.

The popularity of the GT350 proves the manual is still desired.
For AT vs MT popularity purposes, I'd give a lot more weight to the GT and EB levels where the choice actually exists. In the GT350, having a MT is not the top reason for buying that car. Maybe not the next-highest reason either.

Norm

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Happy with my A10.

MT-82 was, and is, the absolute worst transmission I have ever owned. Will never buy anything equipped with that disaster, no matter how many people sing its praises.