Sponsored

Stiffening up the Stang

Stangalang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' GT Altas Blue
Recently had an experience, my first one. I was trying to pass someone on a road and when I started to pass going 30 and up to 60, I noticed my rear end came out to the left, then I was able to hit the brakes and save the car from going the other way into the traffic. I've owned a Corvette in the past, so I've have never had this issue, in terms of loosing traction or feeling the big power come down.

Anyway, I knew coming into the purchase of my GT (now about a month old ownership), that I'd want to get stiffening of the chassis. Would the addition of Steeda IRS Subframe Support Braces help? I know most of these experiences are drivers experience as well. I have to run into my friends shop for an oil change soon, and while It's under the lift thinking about adding these if they'll benefit me in any way. If they do benefit, what did you notice when putting it in your ride?

I wanted to get some cost affective to start, and slowly snowball into this project of a car. But I'm enjoying it truly, just wanted to get the IRS portion tied up.

Explain this to someone who knows nothing about cars... Trying to learn what I'm getting myself into. Lol
Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Recently had an experience, my first one. I was trying to pass someone on a road and when I started to pass going 30 and up to 60, I noticed my rear end came out to the left, then I was able to hit the brakes and save the car from going the other way into the traffic. I've owned a Corvette in the past, so I've have never had this issue, in terms of loosing traction or feeling the big power come down.

Anyway, I knew coming into the purchase of my GT (now about a month old ownership), that I'd want to get stiffening of the chassis. Would the addition of Steeda IRS Subframe Support Braces help? I know most of these experiences are drivers experience as well. I have to run into my friends shop for an oil change soon, and while It's under the lift thinking about adding these if they'll benefit me in any way. If they do benefit, what did you notice when putting it in your ride?

I wanted to get some cost affective to start, and slowly snowball into this project of a car. But I'm enjoying it truly, just wanted to get the IRS portion tied up.

Explain this to someone who knows nothing about cars... Trying to learn what I'm getting myself into. Lol
Seems more like a driving mistake than a suspension issue
Explain in detail what happened

Hifiguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1 Mustang

I don’t think it will help. In fact, hitting the brakes mid oversteer can make it worse since you shift the weight up front.

It is hard to learn when these cars start to step out, the steering is vague and the seat is isolated. thankfully, when the Torsen does lock up it’s pretty predictable. Best thing is to learn to correct better and throttle control, then you can switch to wider tires in the rear (which can make snap oversteer happen easier, but will help put power down and prevent it from happening in the first place)

OP
OP
Stangalang

Stangalang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' GT Altas Blue
Seems more like a driving mistake than a suspension issue
Explain in detail what happened
There was a John Deere Tractor (massive one) with a tanker behind it, 2 SUVs and a truck in front of me. The tanker passed the Tractor when it was clear to do so, I noticed that it was a straight away and that the driver behind the tractor was not going to go. I decided to move out behind this car (I was going 28-30mph) and then proceed to press the gas pedal to gain speed to pass around the cars. When I started getting on the pedal (45-50mph) I started to go sideways a little bit from the rear end. It started moving towards the left. Once I noticed I was going sideways I decided to hit the brake pedal and move the steering wheel to get me down out of the movement. I was able to recover without problems, due to reaction timing and understanding the physics part of it.

I parked on the side of the road to double check my ride to make sure everything was OK, and it was. When passing into the opposite lane to go around it had the grooves. It's a common thing here in NY (unsure about others) but it was dotted. I'm thinking it was a traction issue versus it being a IRS related issue. But I can't help but think it isn't related.

Either way, I was able to recover from it, and I was being dumb, but I do want to make sure I can learn from it. I know folks recommend the IRS frame for adding rigidity to the rear. Never experienced this amount of power, but I generally like to straighten out my car before slowly easing into the pedal. It's an automatic.

Temp was about 40F this morning with my tires at 32PSI.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
What tires? Road conditions? Does the car have the Torsen rear end or the Trac-lok? The car has 400+ hp, some discretion is required in how you apply the go pedal, especially if you're in the torque band.

For the IRS, sure you can throw parts at it, but its not going to make a huge impact in your available traction. Traction is mostly tires and road conditions. Staying within the limits of the road surface and the tires is the Driver's responsibility.

If the car routinely steps out to one specific side when you goose it, then you should get the alignment checked. If it just kind of oscillates and swings a bit side to side when spinning the rear wheels, then subframe work can sort that out so its more consistent.

Even with the subframe all locked down, if you romp on it and swerve out to pass with too sudden of throttle application, yes its probably going to step out to that side because you stomped on the go pedal and shifted the weight when you swerved out to pass.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Stangalang

Stangalang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' GT Altas Blue
What tires? Road conditions? Does the car have the Torsen rear end or the Trac-lok? The car has 400+ hp, some discretion is required in how you apply the go pedal, especially if you're in the torque band.

For the IRS, sure you can throw parts at it, but its not going to make a huge impact in your available traction. Traction is mostly tires and road conditions. Staying within the limits of the road surface and the tires is the Driver's responsibility.

If the car routinely steps out to one specific side when you goose it, then you should get the alignment checked. If it just kind of oscillates and swings a bit side to side when spinning the rear wheels, then subframe work can sort that out so its more consistent.

Even with the subframe all locked down, if you romp on it and swerve out to pass with too sudden of throttle application, yes its probably going to step out to that side because you stomped on the go pedal and shifted the weight when you swerved out to pass.
Appreciate the clarification. I have the stock GoodYear F1 Eagle Asymmetric all seasons 20s. They are really good, and smooth just was an experience this morning. Road conditions they were salted a few days ago, but it was dry outside. It was roughly 40F this morning.

I haven't had a problem with it routinely stepping out when goosing it. This was just the first real scare I've had whilst owning a sports-car in the last few years. I usually like to ease into the power band due to the fact that it has a ton of power, and I like having the control. Like I'm not trying to race anyone, or what not.

lo-fi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Zero Options, Orange Fury)
I have a base GT and I've installed the Steeda K-Brace, Ford strut tower brace, Ford strut tower to firewall brace, the Steeda subframe braces, and the Steeda subframe bushing supports. Factory suspension remains otherwise. I've upgraded from the base 18x8s to 19x10s all around. The difference is enormous. The car has been transformed with those few modifications. I've got Steeda sway bars, adjustable end links, control arm upgrades, etc., etc. on deck and ready to go once I get a free weekend or two.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Appreciate the clarification. I have the stock GoodYear F1 Eagle Asymmetric all seasons 20s. They are really good, and smooth just was an experience this morning. Road conditions they were salted a few days ago, but it was dry outside. It was roughly 40F this morning.

I haven't had a problem with it routinely stepping out when goosing it. This was just the first real scare I've had whilst owning a sports-car in the last few years. I usually like to ease into the power band due to the fact that it has a ton of power, and I like having the control. Like I'm not trying to race anyone, or what not.
Might be tires were cold and/or road conditions. Maybe the pavement was more slippery than you realized. Even all season tires will need to warm up a bit to grip better. Take it easier for 20 min or until the temps comes up.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I hear you on this, but I would say that locking down the subframe and IRS bits can make it quite a bit more predictable when the traction is exceeded. From personal experience, this was definitely the case with my car. Granted, mine is a base car too and I didn't have the Torsen diff either at the time which would probably have helped. And definitely drivers responsibility and tires like you said.

100% stock, my car did some scary and unpredictable things when it broke loose - straight line as well as coming out of corners. And I would add - most of the time I was given almost no warning as to what was about to happen.

Sponsored

Jxp1962

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I have to agree, its a little disconcerting- in a somewhat fun way - when the ass end lets go. Totally stock GT
I start work at 6:00 am, last week on the way in, i got on the car after a light and the rear end let go while at around 25 mphs while accelerating upward.

It startled the heck out of me as there was no sign of ice or anything and id already driven about 25 mikes to work with no slippage at al the whole way in….
The roads had a bit of a sheen to them and it just let go…

anyway it really woke me up, that was for sure…lol

it adds that little fear factor to the ride…

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Cold weather + abrupt throttle + steering input = tire spin and yaw

Maybe some suspension parts would help but this sounds more driver related.
I tend to agree.

JFBullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I tend to agree.
I've made a few mistakes driving higher powered RWD cars and in almost all instances, I'd blame my ham fisted driving over the car.

Doesn't mean the car is faultless(some cars really do have a tendency to bite, I wouldn't say the S550 qualifies), but most of the time a car just doesn't do things without certain inputs.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I've made some mistakes driving higher powered RWD cars and in almost all instances, I'd blame my ham fisted driving over the car.
Yup, a lot is driver error and lack of anticipation. That said, getting the car properly sorted helped me a lot in that regard, personally. These days, I can have a little fun and get 'er a bit loose (without reason of course) and it is much more controllable. And I also have communication of what is happening at all times.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Sounds like driver error to me. I have had the car step out on me before so I know the feeling it happens to the best of us. But the main issue I see here is stepping on the brake pedal. That should never be an option on a slide, it upsets the balance of the car. Best to ease off look and gently steer in the direction you want to go and let the car sort itself out. There is too many variables (Maybe there was oil on the road?). But of course upgrading the suspension will increase confidence and handling.

I really enjoyed the skidding exercise at the Mach 1 track attack, they have you learn to how to handle a slide.
Sponsored