Sponsored

STFT swinging/Idle Stumble post cam install.

gcadorette13

PoopStang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Currently on a base tune after I installed cams on my 2016. After the car warms up it idles really rough and usually dies. STFT's swing about 30% both ways. The only changes I made was the cams and the fews parts that go along with that. No CEL's

Car ran pretty good before the cams. It has new O2's, brand new MAF. The CJ has been on the car for a few years so i don't think it's a vacuum leak from that. I have removed the intake a couple times in hope that it was something that simple. Logs are showing cams are at 0 during idle so it might not be the phasers or solenoids. I am thinking of replacing the solenoids just because they are pretty cheap.

Kind of at a loss on what to try next for troubleshooting. I want to rule out everything before I just take it to a shop. What do you guys think?
Sponsored

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
A data log would be helpful. Have you asked the tuner?

You said the MAF is brand new…is it backwards?

Last edited:
OP
OP
gcadorette13

gcadorette13

PoopStang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
A data log would be helpful. Have you asked the tuner?

You said the MAF is brand new…is it backwards?
I will take a long data log today to send off and I'll toss it on here. The MAF is installed correctly.

Sponsored

MKL_DS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Can’t expect a base tune for cams to be on point. Gonna take a log or 2 to dial in idle and drivability.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Sounds like that base tune is not quite right for your setup and will need some adjustment from your tuner.

That would be my first point of contact about this, not the forums.

Sponsored
OP
OP
gcadorette13

gcadorette13

PoopStang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Sounds like that base tune is not quite right for your setup and will need some adjustment from your tuner.

That would be my first point of contact about this, not the forums.
That's what I'm thinking. I loaded up the old 93 tune that I knew worked and it idles waaayyyy better. I can tell the cams are not the happiest while driving, but it's a good starting point.

OP
OP
gcadorette13

gcadorette13

PoopStang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Can’t expect a base tune for cams to be on point. Gonna take a log or 2 to dial in idle and drivability.
That's starting to makes sense. I was hoping it would idle at least, but we're working through it.
Sponsored