Steering Wheel Whine / Groan

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
I'm waiting to hear from corporate on the wait time for the part. They have been very helpful so far in finding me a better dealership. One of the hardest parts is none of the dealerships have any loaners available. Corporate said they are looking into getting me a rent-a-car from Enterprise when my car gets the new steering rack installed. The tech said the job will take 2 days.
[/thru.s]congrats on follow thru.sounfs like it could have been serious if it failed.
Sponsored

OP
OP

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
It took 3 dealerships and multiple visits to confirm! I will never go back to two of them. The place I have it at now seems to be a lot better.

OP
OP

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
Yes, they can get you into an Enterprise Rental. When I had my prior 2016, Ford was able to put me in ER's when the Dealer didn't have any fleet vehicles available. They CAN do it, if you're getting pushback, just explain your frustrations on a professional level and that you need transportation without question.

Tech is correct - if they have all of the parts and depending on his backlog, 2 days to do a complete EPAS R&R is fair. If he has no backlog, it can be done in a "day".
I'm worried something will not get put back on correctly. Sounds like a big job.

OP
OP

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
10/7: Update.
Steering rack was ordered on 9/28 and arrived yesterday afternoon on 10/6.
I'm scheduled to go in on 10/12.

OP
OP

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
Update - the new steering rack fixed the issue. No more clicking.
The part took a week to arrive and the job took about 6 hours.

Sponsored

OP
OP

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
10/23 update.

As my previous post stated, the steering wheel clicking and the clicking by the front tires is now gone with the new steering rack. However, when the car is in park, and I turn the steering wheel back and forth, I hear a light moan / groan / whining noise from the steering column. I'm not sure if its normal power steering whine due to the strain on the system.

Two observations I have noted:
1. There is no noise on the first start-up of the day. The car has to be driven for at least 10 to 20 minutes.
2. The smoother the road surface, the less noise there is.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
2020 gt automatic with 4,500 miles. Active exhaust with Ford X Pipe. No aftermarket parts.

On a cold start, the steering wheel does not whine or groan and is quiet.

However, after driving for 15 to 30 minutes, it begins to whine / groan when I am stationary and I turn the steering wheel to the right. Sounds like it is coming from inside the steering column. I had someone stand outside the vehicle, and they did not hear anything.
No power loss in the steering wheel. No codes. It also does not make the noise when I turn the steering wheel to the left.
2020 GT manual here, 8,000 miles. Exactly the same symptoms. Only to the right, only when it's warm, only while stationary or moving very slowly (e.g. when parking).
I guess my EPAS is on its way out. :frown:

OP
OP

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT manual here, 8,000 miles. Exactly the same symptoms. Only to the right, only when it's warm, only while stationary or moving very slowly (e.g. when parking).
I guess my EPAS is on its way out. :frown:
Vlad,

I had my whole EPAS replaced. The ticking noise is gone, but the moan/groan/whine is still present. The tech told me it is normal power steering whine from the EPAS motor. I gave up fighting it. Do you have both the ticking noise and groan? I went through a long process. I had to get FORD customer assistance involved.

BTW - The EPAS replacement took the mechanic about 4 to 6 hours.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The tech told me it is normal power steering whine from the EPAS motor.
It isn't normal, that's for sure. There can be no doubt whatsoever about it. It's anything but normal. It's too loud, too unnatural, and it wasn't there before. If it were normal it would be present since day one.
I don't have any ticking. Just this hideous, loud groan.
But if replacing the EPAS doesn't cure it, then the EPAS isn't the culprit. So what is? 😕

OP
OP

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
It isn't normal, that's for sure. There can be no doubt whatsoever about it. It's anything but normal. It's too loud, too unnatural, and it wasn't there before. If it were normal it would be present since day one.
I don't have any ticking. Just this hideous, loud groan.
But if replacing the EPAS doesn't cure it, then the EPAS isn't the culprit. So what is? 😕
I'm on my 2nd EPAS and the whine/groan/moan is still there. I've done a ton of searches on the internet and I am pretty much out of ideas on what is causing it. May be it could be something in the steering column that expands when it gets warm and causes that sound. Hence, why it happens when the car is only warm.

Book an appointment with the dealer. Don't let them have your car sit there for an extended period of time because when they go and test it, it will not do it. Also, when they have it on a lift with the wheels suspended, tell them to put a stress on the system. The two tests above were the reasons why I had a hard time with them diagnosing the noise. The last dealer I took it to used a stethoscope to narrow down the noise.
Please keep me posted on what they say.

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I will book an appointment with a dealer eventually, but the trouble is, it doesn't always do it. It started a few days ago, then it was silent for a few days, then did it again yesterday. I'm sure it would be perfectly silent if I took it to the dealer now. :giggle:
I'll have to wait until I can reproduce it at will.

mustangpegasus51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Does the groan y'all are experiencing sound like this?

Definitely gets worse in the heat; it was a sauna out there in the LA area today and it was a bit noisier.

A local performance shop already had me on the trail for the steering rack and my mechanic's stethoscope was able to pinpoint it a bit better.

For me it seems to be coming from this rubber part here (original photo courtesy of another forum member in a thread about the 2020 brake pedal bracket assembly recall.):

1649487690753.png

On it's own, if this is the case doesn't seem like a big deal. I'm more concerned that this means my front subframe, which supports the steering rack if I recall, is misaligned.

OP
OP

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
I will book an appointment with a dealer eventually, but the trouble is, it doesn't always do it. It started a few days ago, then it was silent for a few days, then did it again yesterday. I'm sure it would be perfectly silent if I took it to the dealer now. :giggle:
I'll have to wait until I can reproduce it at will.
One thing I noticed is the smoother the road surface, the quieter it is.

OP
OP

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)

Definitely gets worse in the heat; it was a sauna out there in the LA area today and it was a bit noisier.

A local performance shop already had me on the trail for the steering rack and my mechanic's stethoscope was able to pinpoint it a bit better.

For me it seems to be coming from this rubber part here (original photo courtesy of another forum member in a thread about the 2020 brake pedal bracket assembly recall.):

1649487690753.png

On it's own, if this is the case doesn't seem like a big deal. I'm more concerned that this means my front subframe, which supports the steering rack if I recall, is misaligned.
Wow! Yes, very similar. The warmer the car is and the rougher the surface, the louder it gets. I only hear it when it is in park and in slow, tight turns.
I'm not sure that your subframe is misaligned. It might be that part expands when it gets warm and rubs against the metal steering column.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yes, that's it. Maybe just a tad louder.
And I can also feel it through the steering wheel. I feel a very, very slight vibration (for lack of a better word) in my fingers that's in perfect sync with the groan, and which I don't feel when it doesn't groan.
Sponsored