Steering Wheel Whine / Groan

Torched10

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
I'm waiting to hear from corporate on the wait time for the part. They have been very helpful so far in finding me a better dealership. One of the hardest parts is none of the dealerships have any loaners available. Corporate said they are looking into getting me a rent-a-car from Enterprise when my car gets the new steering rack installed. The tech said the job will take 2 days.
[/thru.s]congrats on follow thru.sounfs like it could have been serious if it failed.
Advertisement

OP
OP

njweatherman

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium California Special
It took 3 dealerships and multiple visits to confirm! I will never go back to two of them. The place I have it at now seems to be a lot better.

OP
OP

njweatherman

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, they can get you into an Enterprise Rental. When I had my prior 2016, Ford was able to put me in ER's when the Dealer didn't have any fleet vehicles available. They CAN do it, if you're getting pushback, just explain your frustrations on a professional level and that you need transportation without question.

Tech is correct - if they have all of the parts and depending on his backlog, 2 days to do a complete EPAS R&R is fair. If he has no backlog, it can be done in a "day".
I'm worried something will not get put back on correctly. Sounds like a big job.

OP
OP

njweatherman

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10/7: Update.
Steering rack was ordered on 9/28 and arrived yesterday afternoon on 10/6.
I'm scheduled to go in on 10/12.

OP
OP

njweatherman

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update - the new steering rack fixed the issue. No more clicking.
The part took a week to arrive and the job took about 6 hours.

OP
OP

njweatherman

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10/23 update.

As my previous post stated, the steering wheel clicking and the clicking by the front tires is now gone with the new steering rack. However, when the car is in park, and I turn the steering wheel back and forth, I hear a light moan / groan / whining noise from the steering column. I'm not sure if its normal power steering whine due to the strain on the system.

Two observations I have noted:
1. There is no noise on the first start-up of the day. The car has to be driven for at least 10 to 20 minutes.
2. The smoother the road surface, the less noise there is.

Advertisement

15 - Steeda - 6
Advertisement